Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-03-2005, 01:04 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How important is the philosophy of aikido during your "on the mat" training?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of April 3, 2005:

How important is the philosophy of aikido during your "on the mat" training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Critically important
  • Very important
  • Somewhat important
  • Not very important
  • Not at all important
Here are the current results.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:16 PM   #2
Min
Dojo: Rochester Aikido Club
Re: Poll: How important is the philosophy of aikido during your "on the mat" training?

For a long time I viewed aikido as primarily self-defence or joyful exercise, but rarely as an exercise in philosophy. Now I realize aikido has helped shape who I am and how I interact with those around me. I am much kinder and more willing to diffuse confrontation and foster positive or at least neutral feelings. So, even without knowing it, the philosophy of aikido has been very important to my "on the mat" training. I don't have down completely yet, but the journey to understanding and practicing the philosophy of harmony is both challenging and rewarding.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:03 AM   #3
Berney Fulcher
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States
Re: Poll: How important is the philosophy of aikido during your "on the mat" training?

I have to wonder how those responses varied by years in the art. I answered not very important, but am only 4th Kyu. My teachers are working on the philosophy bits, but so far I can't say I am buying Right now it's the physical that keeps me in the art while over the long haul it may turn more to the philosophy, we shall see.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, after 10.5 years of training, the philosophy is critically important to me because it contains the attitude, the strategy, the concepts, and the principles that make the physical techniques work.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 04-05-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Re: Poll: How important is the philosophy of aikido during your "on the mat" training

Critical. The older I get, the more I find all my training, indeed, my entire life and being, is guided by my philosophy. To indulge in any other sort of training is a waste of my time.

Tarik

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 04-06-2005, 01:24 AM   #6
Janet Rosen

I was about to answer, and realized that Tarik said it just as I'd have wanted to. Cheers, my friend!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 04-06-2005, 02:11 AM   #7
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

I used to think that I knew the philosophy of Aikido. I now can`t say for certain what it is. Makes the question hard to answer.

Charles
Old 04-06-2005, 02:40 AM   #8
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Poll: How important is the philosophy of aikido during your "on the mat" training

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
I used to think that I knew the philosophy of Aikido. I now can`t say for certain what it is. Makes the question hard to answer.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-06-2005, 03:45 AM   #9
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

I voted not very important. Discussing philosophy is something for 'off the mat'. I guess during mat times, I am too busy catching my breath and atemi'ng my oncoming ukes.

Osu!

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:08 PM   #10
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
I didn't reply on the basis of any overarching universal one, just mine.
If I don't know why I train, what I want from my training, then why would I train?

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 04-06-2005, 09:26 PM   #11
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

It permeates everything about what we do, and how it is done........
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 04-06-2005, 11:31 PM   #12
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
I voted not very important. Discussing philosophy is something for 'off the mat'. I guess during mat times, I am too busy catching my breath and atemi'ng my oncoming ukes. Osu! Boon.
Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote:
Critical. The older I get, the more I find all my training, indeed, my entire life and being, is guided by my philosophy. To indulge in any other sort of training is a waste of my time. Tarik
Quote:
Lan Powers wrote:
It permeates everything about what we do, and how it is done........
Lan
In the beginning, I was going to answer along the same lines as Xu, during class, practice, I'm not philosophizing, I'm not thinking deep thoughts, just practicing. But, as I thought about what makes my practice unique unto me, and different from some of the others that practice, is the mindset, attitude, or approach as you will, to the practice. This is definitely influenced by my understanding of Aikido philosophy, by my understanding of Budo. This seems more in line with the latter two quotes. And in fact, they're all right. On the matt is not the time to "philosophize", it is the time to practice, but the practice is influenced by the philosophy. Maybe a better riddle would be which came first, the practice or the philosophy???

Last edited by Joe Bowen : 04-06-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:52 AM   #13
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Quote:
Joseph Bowen wrote:
In the beginning, I was going to answer along the same lines as Xu, during class, practice, I'm not philosophizing, I'm not thinking deep thoughts, just practicing. But, as I thought about what makes my practice unique unto me, and different from some of the others that practice, is the mindset, attitude, or approach as you will, to the practice. This is definitely influenced by my understanding of Aikido philosophy, by my understanding of Budo. This seems more in line with the latter two quotes. And in fact, they're all right. On the matt is not the time to "philosophize", it is the time to practice, but the practice is influenced by the philosophy. Maybe a better riddle would be which came first, the practice or the philosophy???
Maybe its a question of experience initially.

Those that are new are just trying to do...those with experience are doing in order to achieve a goal.

Maybe also what people want from aikido changes as they grow.

In the cases above you can see short term goals and long term goals.

Hopefully the short term goals align with the long term goals eventually.

For me now this is critical....all practice is ultimately geared toward my perception of the 'philosophy of aikido'.

Cheers

D
Old 04-07-2005, 11:03 AM   #14
bryce_montgomery

United_States

When I began taking aikido classes I was initially just wanting to "see what it was about." Now that I've been training for a year now, I realize that what I want from my training has changed, from seeing what its about, to self-defense, and now to what lies behind aikido itself.

My "on the mat" practice has been greatly influenced by the philosophy of aikido. While this hasn't always been the fact, presently, this concept has helped me to understand why I train and what aikido has done for me.

Bryce
Old 04-07-2005, 08:06 PM   #15
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
Maybe its a question of experience initially.
Those that are new are just trying to do...those with experience are doing in order to achieve a goal. Maybe also what people want from aikido changes as they grow. In the cases above you can see short term goals and long term goals. Hopefully the short term goals align with the long term goals eventually. For me now this is critical....all practice is ultimately geared toward my perception of the 'philosophy of aikido'. Cheers D
Well, spoken (er...written), well said (um...typed)!
Old 04-07-2005, 10:22 PM   #16
Zato Ichi

I have to agree with Boon on this one... philosophizing is done off the mat. Seriously, if you try and concentrate on philosophy during toshu randori geiko, you'd end up with something like this:

You: Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable, Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar who could think you under the table, David Hume could out con-
Opponent: *** SHOMENATE! ***
You: *** UNCONSCIOUS... ***
Old 04-08-2005, 10:34 AM   #17
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Quote:
R. Haruo Hori wrote:
I have to agree with Boon on this one... philosophizing is done off the mat. Seriously, if you try and concentrate on philosophy during toshu randori geiko, you'd end up with something like this:

You: Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable, Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar who could think you under the table, David Hume could out con-
Opponent: *** SHOMENATE! ***
You: *** UNCONSCIOUS... ***
Really?

Well, let's just agree to disagree then, but I do want to point out; the original poll said nothing of discussing philosophy on the mat, it asked how important the philosophy of aikido was to your on the mat training.

I don't know about you, but how I train on the mat is decided based entirely on my and my various instructors' philosophy of aikido and how and what I am studying and practicing. If that isn't critical to what I'm doing with and to my partner on the mat, then I don't know what is.

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 04-08-2005, 10:52 AM   #18
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

"Nanakorobi yaoki, jinsei wa kore kara da...
translated into English means
To fall seven times,
to rise eight times,
life starts from now..."

helps me with my ukemi...

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 04-08-2005, 12:11 PM   #19
Keith R Lee
United_States

Philosophy never enters into my mind while training. I have enough trouble with thinking about technique.

At most 3 things enter my mind:

Shuchu Rokyu

Shugyo

Osu

Keith Lee
Old 04-08-2005, 06:47 PM   #20
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Hi Keith,

Can you really separate shugyo from philosophy? It seems to me that hard training plus philosophy equals shugyo.

Charles
Old 04-10-2005, 04:32 PM   #21
Sue Hammerich
Dojo: Full Circle Aikido
United_States

[
[

WOW!!!!! Philosophy AND a Monty Python quote... I imagine that singing that song (or, perhaps,the Lumberjack song) would more than disarm an opponent before any physical confrontation takes place.
VERY aikido, actually

Old 08-10-2006, 11:30 PM   #22
Brad Pruitt
Dojo: High Desert Aikido
United_States

I vote somewhere in between very and critically important. The philosophy keeps me from doing the technique with excessive force. It also keeps me trying to work out my problems with the people I don't enjoy training with. Mostly I think of the philosphy off the mat. Like when driving in traffic or in line at the store.
Brad

Last edited by Brad Pruitt : 08-10-2006 at 11:32 PM. Reason: grammer