Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-02-2007, 05:13 AM   #1
dps

Intention of Technique

What is your intention when you do an Aikido technique? When you do a shiho nage or kote gaeshi what do you intend to happen to uke?

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
Larry Cuvin

Dojo: Oregon Ki Society
United_States
Re: Intention of Technique

Blend and lead ki is what I always try to do (and apply the principles of non-dissention), but being a noob, I mostly end up mucking the blending part in one form or another. I think throw and suddenly my shoulders however slightly, tenses up, looses power and I end up muscling the technique. Once in a while though, I do it right.

Larry

Plus Ki
Old 11-02-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
What is your intention when you do an Aikido technique? When you do a shiho nage or kote gaeshi what do you intend to happen to uke?

David
I used to think how BAD-ASS (TM) I would be if I were to do it on a REAL-LIFE (TM) Thug.

Nowadays, I JUST DO IT (TM) without any thoughts. The result can be amazingly powerful, and I get more blissfully high feeling. My intention is nothing, I just go with the flow. No thoughts, no intention... JUST DO IT (TM).

Disclaimer: I am not an advocate of any BRAND.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
gdandscompserv

United_States

I always do them with the intention of looking good!

Old 11-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

Control. I control how you fall and where and painful or not.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Tijani1150

Quote:

David
very wise question as the right intention could make all the difference.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Quote:
... When you do a shiho nage or kote gaeshi what do you intend to happen to uke?
I'd like them to fall on the floor without being broken, and without smacking me in the nose.
I'd hate for them to somersault themselves across the room, or land on their head, or get a broken wrist, or squeal too loudly.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Christopher Gee

Dojo: United Traditional Aikido
United Kingdom

SHINKEN, upmost earnst, technically, spiritually and mentally (not necessarily in that order)

Heiho wa heiho nari - Otake Risuke
Old 11-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

My intention is to get involved in something that 'the wind is doing', and discovering for myself the utter wonder of it all.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 11-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #10
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

To have my partner comprehend my point of view without having to try to shove it down their throats.
Diplomacy through Aikido... obviously I still suck at it.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 11-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
SeiserL

United_States

My intent is to be the one in charge (assertive not aggressive).
My strategy is to use circular motion/movement to enter, blend, and take balance.
My tactic is what ever Aikido technique lends itself at the moment.

IMHO, energy/ki is directed by the mind/intent.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-04-2007, 02:49 AM   #12
Avery Jenkins

Dojo: Litchfield Hills Aikikai

These days, I'm really focusing on feeling uke and his/her response throughout the technique. I'm trying to make the throw all about uke, because really...it is. I'm just a bit player in their ukemi.

Avery Jenkins
Author of Dark River, to be released in Oct. 2020
www.averyjenkinsauthor.com
Old 11-04-2007, 04:07 AM   #13
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Depending on the situation

some times my intention is to simply do the technique,
Other times I intend to examine some point in my execution,
At other times I intend to show a beginner how to perform the technique, or to correct some specific elment.

Each execution has it own context, and I try to keep myself whithin the context.

Amir
Old 11-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #14
Dyryke
United_States

Quote:

David
  • First priority: Avoid. Neutralize the attack by block or dodge.
  • Second priority: If possible, do the block or dodge in such a way as to give yourself a positional and momentum advantage.
  • Third priority: Use these advantages to do A technique.

I found that in training, the attack on nage should be sincere. If uke goes to grab or punch, actually connect if nage botches the Avoid. But really, blocking or dodging should be the most important. In the Real World, a person may have to block, dodge, counterattack many many times in a real fight before he is afforded an opportunity he can exploit (at his skill level).

When the attack is sincere, nage can then practice his second priority, that is to say, blocking with a pivot, or a step in. Knowing the attack is sincere helps nage do this effectively. Once nage gets good at this, he can read uke's energy, his momentum, etc, and prepare for the last part.

Once nage has dealt with the attack, gotten an advantage, he can then take all his instinctive "reads" on uke's energy and turn it around on him. This manifests itself in a pin, throw, or takedown. It is neutralizing uke's ability to attempt to further harm you.

It is my sincerest belief that Aikido lies in the second part, more than anywhere else in the technique.

Derek
Old 11-05-2007, 06:25 AM   #15
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden
Joyous

Quote:
What a wonderful question! I should try to say something profound

I want it to be joyous, like a dance. I want uke to feel that this was the best outcome imaginable. I want to feel a flow without interruptions or awkward corners. And I want us both to feel better afterward.

Maybe aikido should be regarded as healing. It is definitely an art. A healing art?

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: https://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd
Old 11-05-2007, 07:38 AM   #16
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany
Re: Joyous

Quote:
Stefan Stenudd wrote: View Post
What a wonderful question! I should try to say something profound

I want it to be joyous, like a dance. I want uke to feel that this was the best outcome imaginable. I want to feel a flow without interruptions or awkward corners. And I want us both to feel better afterward.

Maybe aikido should be regarded as healing. It is definitely an art. A healing art?
I love that, Stefan
But I guess then there is a problem inthe question "when you do an aikido technique".
What you do should what you described as joyous dance, make uke feel good, etc. The aikido technique is just something that happens. If one DOES a technique one (re)attacks, which is not the goal of aikido.

But I have to admit, I (try to) DO techniques. Everytime I try to feel the enregy and let things happen, I end up in a big knot

But I am improving slowly. The point, when I have to switch from letting things happen to enforcing the technique, is moving. It is much later than it was a year ago, and hopfully in the near future (next 5 years) it might pass the time of contact.

But from time to time I try again to let things happen, and sometimes something happens that a technique is easy to perform. usully my teachers comment then are "but we are doing xyz technique at the moment".

Just my 2 cts

Dirk
Old 11-05-2007, 07:39 AM   #17
MM
United_States

Quote:

David
I think, perhaps, that I want them to understand that they had no control. Feelings get in the way of understanding. Feelings can lead to misjudgment of the situation. I want an understanding to appear to them that there is some *thing* that they can not control, either in their actions or mine or both. If someone pushes me and I do not move, then I want an understanding from the pusher that what they attempted in their control did not work. If they attack, I want an understanding that their actions lacked control of either me or themselves or both. Beyond that, I hope that one day my level of mastery will allow the intention of either break/kill or pass-through, but through choice built upon skill.

Technique is not important. There should be no technique.

Mark
Old 11-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #18
Mattias Bengtsson
Dojo: Halmstad Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Quote:

David
In the dojo, my intent is to avoid injuring my uke.

in real life, my intent is to avoid injury to myself.

Uke Iacta Est
Old 11-06-2007, 06:47 AM   #19
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Quote:
Mattias Bengtsson wrote: View Post

Dear Mattias,
while there is a lot of truth in your words,...
If those are your only intentions, you are not doing aikido. In dojo you would just get out of the way and avoid contact, and in real life you would immediately kill everybody, who is looking somehow threatening.

But I do not think, that is what you meant, so don't take my nit-picky comments too serious.

Best regards Dirk
Old 11-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #20
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

To enter and achieve Harmony.

William Hazen
Old 11-06-2007, 10:59 AM   #21
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

Quote:

Honesty, simple honesty. Thank you, Mr Bengtsson...rei
Old 11-06-2007, 05:18 PM   #22
Mattias Bengtsson
Dojo: Halmstad Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Quote:
Dirk Hanss wrote: View Post
Dear Mattias,
while there is a lot of truth in your words,...
If those are your only intentions, you are not doing aikido. In dojo you would just get out of the way and avoid contact, and in real life you would immediately kill everybody, who is looking somehow threatening.

But I do not think, that is what you meant, so don't take my nit-picky comments too serious.

Best regards Dirk
it can certainly be perceived as such.. but, the latter can also be achieved by running away, and dont necessarily mean to hurt the opponent.
If i have the level of ability to avoid injuring a opponent and avoid injury to myself its possible that that is what i will do, but until i achieve that level, my own safety are my priority.

In real life, you cant trust the compassion of other people if you surrender yourself to their mercy, but you CAN count on your own compassion to let your opponent go.

and the first part is that i would feel horribly bad if i happened to injure my uke in the dojo, as that would've meant carelessness on my part..

so sorry, not that terribly profound after all...

Uke Iacta Est
Old 11-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #23
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:

Short and precise answer... I like it.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #24
dps

Quote:
it can certainly be perceived as such.. but, the latter can also be achieved by running away, and dont necessarily mean to hurt the opponent.
If i have the level of ability to avoid injuring a opponent and avoid injury to myself its possible that that is what i will do, but until i achieve that level, my own safety are my priority.

In real life, you cant trust the compassion of other people if you surrender yourself to their mercy, but you CAN count on your own compassion to let your opponent go.

and the first part is that i would feel horribly bad if i happened to injure my uke in the dojo, as that would've meant carelessness on my part..

so sorry, not that terribly profound after all...
I love it when other people express my thoughts better than me.

Thank You
David

Go ahead, tread on me.