Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
kenshi07

United_States
Nippon Kan

I'm new to aikido, and I've been looking at Nippon Kan in Denver, founded by Gaku Homma. I've been on other martial arts websites and they told me to get somewhat of a second opinion on the dojo. So if anyone could speak on its behalf I'd appreciate it. I just need help, with Nippon Kan being unaffiliated and all. Thanks a lot
Old 05-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
Psufencer

Dojo: Lower Providence Aikido
United_States
Re: Nippon Kan

It's an easy walk/train ride from there to the Wynkoop, which is enough for me! Aikido and green chile beer...a powerful combination!

Sorry I don't actually know much about the classes there, I didn't pick up Aikido until I got waaaaaaay out here in the Eastern Desert! (Needed something to take my mind off the lack of mountains, you see)
Old 05-16-2006, 01:51 PM   #3
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

I don't know the dojo, but I have had the pleasure of training in his classes at the Aiki Expo and of reading his books. Homma Sensei is a wonderful teacher in my limited experience. If what I saw and felt at the Expo is anything like his classes, then the training at the dojo should be superb!

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 05-16-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
kenshi07

United_States

Thanks alot. I'm reading his Aikido Sketch Diary about uchedeshi training. So when is this expo and where?
Old 05-16-2006, 07:44 PM   #5
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

Homma Sensei was the last or close to the last person to learn directly from O'Sensei so the knowledge is there. A dojo mate of mine went out there recently on a business trip and practiced at Nippon Kan and said that it was great. My Sensei said that Homma Sensei is actually a friend of our dojo and head instructor. I know how my head instructor is so Homma Sensei must be OK. Plus, I have one of his books that I like a lot. Independent dojo doesn't mean shoddy instruction or false Aikido.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:17 PM   #6
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

The Aiki Expo is a big seminar hosted by Stan Pranin and populated by some of the biggest guns in the aikido world today. Sensei from all over the world attend, demonstrate and teach classes. The last was held in the Los Angeles area in 2005. None is planned for this year and it hasn't been locked in stone yet whether one will be held in 2007 or in 2008.

From everything I've been told, Homma Sensei made an early decision to remain independent, but he is top notch. On top of his great skill as a teacher and practitioner, Homma Sensei is just a really pleasant and funny guy. He put me in a very painful variation of nikkyo and I instantly tapped out by pounding him on the back. He stopped and I expected an explosion over my lack of control. He just laughed and said "Hurts, doesn't it?" His dojo may not be the fit for you, but the quality of instruction won't be lacking. Check them out and see for yourself.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 05-17-2006, 08:36 AM   #7
kenshi07

United_States

thankls alot i intend to soon. i'll be going to denver here in a few months. by the way maybe this is the place for some pro advice. i was born with congential heart defects, and 10 years ago i recived a heart transplant. could that affect my ability to train, or even start aikido. some of the reasons i'm looking at Nippon Kan is that i like what i've heard about Homma Sensei and his book, and the hospital where i recevied my transplant is in Denver. and its kind of close to home
Old 05-17-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Consult your Dr. Best wishes on training, if youdo start. Homma Sensei has been on the AikiExpo DVD that I got from Budovideo....I liked what I saw. It is not fair to judge anyones Aikido from just watching tho (IMHO) but feeling their control and power....Looks like a smooth, powerful Aikidoka with some neat takes on waza.
I would like to get a chance to visit and train with him some.
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!