Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-20-2004, 10:19 PM   #1
Noble Supreme Ali
which martial arts are better

At work I was having a disscussion with one of my co workers about martial arts. it came up that chinese martial arts tend to be more attractive and fancy were as japanese martial arts are strong and effective, I agreed with my coworker because he gave the reason for his answer, which was "japan has conquered china many a time" which is true. but if anyone has further insight into this topic please provide it.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:28 PM   #2
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: which martial arts are better

Well just once - and that was with modern guns. And then the Chinese beat the Japanese.

Wushu is entertainment - can't really compare that to Japanese Budo or Chinese martial arts that are more concerned with getting the job done.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 10-20-2004, 10:54 PM   #3
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States

Wing Chun is pretty damn powerfull = /

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 10-20-2004, 11:05 PM   #4
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai

Aikido looks pretty darn fancy. And people are always spending time making their ukemi look good. We can't criticize Chinese martial arts for looking fancy in their forms when we spend so much time looking fancy ourselves.
But there is an aesthetic aspect of martial arts, that's why it's an art, right?

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith
Old 10-20-2004, 11:51 PM   #5
Janet Rosen

"Better"? Depends on who your local instructor is!
And frankly it seems silly to disregard all the factors in regional domination (economics, politics, nationalism, strategy and tactics, and surely more things I'm forgetting....) and claim that a nation's various "martial arts" esp modern budo are the cause of its historical hegemony.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 10-21-2004, 06:54 AM   #6
Jordan Steele

Japanese martial arts definitely have more of an emphasis on a strong solid core and most strikes, kicks, movements are very direct and focussed. Chinese martial arts tend to not be as decisive and in some cases are more about quantity as opposed to quality. However I definitely agree that Wing Chun is extremely effective in almost anybodys hands.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:46 AM   #7
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

eeeerrr....I think its the martial artist rather than the martial art.

They are all good when done by an expert.

I'd have thought this old chestnut would have been laid to rest by the success of MMA.

Cheers

D
Old 10-21-2004, 07:56 AM   #8
SeiserL

United_States

"Better" in what way? Each art has its advantages and dsiadvantages.

IMHO, it is the individual, not the art or origin, that makes an art more effective.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 10-21-2004, 12:46 PM   #9
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I agree Lynn...my thoughts exactly!

Everyone starts on his/her path at a different point, with a different goal and with different skills and perspectives.

What is important that the individual finds his/her way along the path that is right for them.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:33 PM   #10
Noble Supreme Ali

Interesting
Old 10-21-2004, 09:25 PM   #11
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Eric Hodge wrote:
At work I was having a disscussion with one of my co workers about martial arts. it came up that chinese martial arts tend to be more attractive and fancy were as japanese martial arts are strong and effective, I agreed with my coworker because he gave the reason for his answer, which was "japan has conquered china many a time" which is true. but if anyone has further insight into this topic please provide it.
Eric... History lesson ahead...

Starting from late 19th Century, China was always in constant internal strife. Starting with the Taiping Rebellion, Boxer Rebellion, Three Opium Wars, The Overthrowing of Imperial Manchu Rule by The Most Honourable Sun Yat Sen, The Power struggle between successor of Sun Yat Sen the Genrelassimo Chiang Kai Shek vs the Northern Overloard Yuan Shi Kai. Followed by the peasant revolt (Communist movement) led by Mao Zedong. China was in civil war for half a century. Any country with such devastating internal strife will be unable to resist foreign invasion. Forget Japan, even any country can walk over China at that time. It was like hitting a handicapped person, nothing to be proud off.

When the Sino-japan war started, the then ruling government under Gen. Chiang Kai Shek, had to fight two fronts: agaist the communist movement from the west and Japanese invasion from the east. He was sandwiched. Mao Zedong's powerbase was with the peasants in the interior of China, so what if he lost some coastal cities to the Japanese. It was Chiang Kai Shek's subject anyway.

Looking at the disadvantages position Gen Chiang have at that moment in time, it was not surprising that he lost some coastal cities to Japanese invaders. I learned somewhere (Discovery Channel), the invading Japanese army lost some 200,000 good soldiers in the decade long war.

I believe wjy China lost some ground to japan has little to do with the superiority of Japanese style MA, more of good opportuniy.

Why China never invade Japan? If you've read the War Manual of Sun Tze (Sun Zi Pin Fa), go to war only if there is absolute gain. In this case, Japan is a small strip of island majority made up of volcanoes, liitle agriculture land, no natural resources, few human resource. Why invade a land with so little to gain?

On the other hand.. Japan has so much to gain by invading China for the reverse reasons stated above.

So Eric you see, it was not the superiority of Japanese MA that won Japan some land in China.

Damm, thank god I paid attention during History class during my hi-school period. I thought I would never have any use for such information.

Truly,
Boon

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:21 PM   #12
Scott Morris
Dojo: Hawk Valley Training Center

Hi all,
my vote is thermo nuclear war