Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
RKG
Dojo: Aikido Circle-Clacton
United Kingdom
Searching for a new Bokken

I've decided its time to move on from my Red Oak Daito I got from Nine Circles. My dojo studies weapons twice a month and I am looing for a good bokken that can stand up to punishment but is not too heavy to be cumbersome.

I thought about a Keishi Ryu Daito or an Iwama Ryu Daito. Can anyone recommend me a good bokken?
Old 12-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Searching for a new Bokken

Hickory is a wonderful balance of lightweight while standing up to pounding abuse. I got mine from Kim Taylor http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/

Last edited by akiy : 12-07-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: cleaned up tags

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

I have a great set from Kingfisher Woodworks. Absolutely top quality in every respect. A little pricey, but their stuff should last many, many years. At least take a look at their website before you buy from anyone.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 12-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

My dojo tends to buy from California S&P and they hold up really well.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
ravenest
Dojo: Way of Falling Water
Australia

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
I have a great set from Kingfisher Woodworks. Absolutely top quality in every respect. A little pricey, but their stuff should last many, many years. At least take a look at their website before you buy from anyone.
I am v.happy with my Kingfisher I used the reccomended tempering technique (hammering all over with a piece of round wood, softly then prograssivly harder). Trouble was the wood I was using kept compacting in little dents and not the sword . I swiched to a harder wood, still the same, so I stopped doing it. Guess I'll have to do some 'clacking with another Kingfisher?
Old 12-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
Cliff Judge
Japan

The appalachian hickory we have here in the states is a really nice wood for bokken. It's got a more energetic feel to it than the oaks. It warps easily but its easy to bend back into shape. If you've got the money for shipping I'd try an aikido bokken from Kingfisher - just the plain-jane sanded model. Or one of Kim Taylor's (sei do kai).
Old 12-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Michael Hackett

Michael, I ran into the same problem with the tempering process. My solution was to use a heavy screwdriver with plastic handle. The thing is about 18 inches long and I held it by the blade and used the smooth surface of the plastic handle to strike the bokken. My wife was out of town that week so I sat in the living room, tapping away for several evenings, striking progressively harder. Now I have a beautifully tempered bokken and poor hearing.

Michael
Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
Janet Rosen

WHAT?
(g,d,r)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
United_States

I bought a Kingfisher Bokken 3 years ago and it still looks brand new and we do weapons at the beginning of every class. I bought the hand shaped model with the best hickory since I wanted it to last for several years and it is well on the way. I also did some tempering with mine with a round oak dowel over several evenings and the Bokken turned out well. Unfortunately, the oak dowel was permanently disfigured! LOL
Kingfisher does make a less expensive version which has machine shaping and sanding but I bet it is still an excellent choice.
Doc Sexton

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
Gandhi
Old 12-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
B'Dragon
Dojo: Westside Aikido
United_States

Usually, I get my weapons from Kiyota in Maryland, and have been for many years. He doesn't have a web site, but he has very good prices and lots of different types of wood weapons. One of my favorites is the Chiba-san bokken designed by Chiba Sensei. It has a great weight and balance. More like a sword balance than the typical bokken balance.

Mr. Kiyota is very worth investigating and getting his number; absolutely the best products and best prices including gi's hakama's, iaito's etc. And if you ask very politely he will even personally pick out a nice bokken for you. Very knowledgable gentleman.

Peace in your heart all.

B'Dragon

"They weren't just being thrown, it was if they were being shocked by high-voltage electricity." - Hiroshi Tada on O'Sensei's technique
Old 12-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #11
RKG
United Kingdom

I am impressed by the sound of the Kingfisher Bokken but I at odds about which one to buy.

What you all recommend, the Iwama or the Aiki Bokken?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #12
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

What kind of bokken does your instructor and dojo mates use? I think it´s good to use a bokken with similar size and weight as the rest of the dojo.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
RKG
United Kingdom

My Sensei and couple of my colleagues use an Iwama Bokken. I may just buy the Kingfisher Iwama, perhaps with an inscription.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #14
Michael Hackett

I have the Iwama bokken. If you are going to spend the money, go ahead and have it enscribed for a few bucks more.

Michael
Old 12-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
SeaGrass
Dojo: Kenshinyokan
United_States

I highly recommend Kingfisher's. I have a few of their Iwama bokkens ranging from grade 5, grade 7 hand cut and two of their enhanced ones. The L7 hand cut and the enhanced are very beautiful with great balance. If you want your bokken to be denser and heavier, go with the enhanced hickory. Natural hickory tends to be lighter than Japanese white oak.
A friend of mine just tested his enhanced hickory against a Lignum vitae, broke the Lignum vitae in half on first strike. His bokken took 3 hits first from the Lignum vitae and got nothing, not even a dent on it. It was pretty amazing to see that.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #16
shakou

Dojo: Ronin Aikido Association
England

Both SDK and Kingfisher are a great choice. I have 2 from Kim. He has had a buy 1 get 1 free which is well worth it. He may still have this running. I have one of of his daito hickory and ipe bokuto and gifted my sensei the SDK style bokuto, both of which are really nice. I have a top grade kingfisher kenjutsu bokuto coming soon also from a friend over on Sword Forum so I can make direct comparisons but between Brad at Kingfisher and Unka Kim I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #17
Tyson Walters

New Zealand

If I might chime in...

I own some bokken made by Kim Taylor out of the Sei Do Kai... and I'm really happy with them thus far.

Its worth a look IMHO.

http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/
Old 12-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #18
RKG
United Kingdom

Well, it looks like the situation has been taken out of my hands. My wife has banned me from buying a Bokken, in other words she's getting me one for Christmas

I'll have to let you all know which Bokken it is when I get it.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #19
BokkenReview
Dojo: Life
United_States

Hope for a Hickory bokken. Having tested so many different types of wood (do a search for my username on Youtube), I can tell you that Hickory is tough to beat... for many reasons. It's tough, inexpensive, looks and feels great. I don't think it matters which maker you get it from. Just make sure you spend some time hammering it lightly before use (Hickory, unlike other types of wood, has a grain that gets more compact and dense over time and use... basically the more you use it, the better it gets).
Old 12-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #20
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States

I just got the E-Bogu white oak bokken. It's an Iwama style and it's very reasonably priced, but it's on the heavy side.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #21
BokkenReview
United_States

I also wanted to back up what Bien said about his experience with Lignum Vitae. It holds up to normal use and denting VERY well, but under hard impact will snap in half no problem.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #22
SeaGrass
Dojo: Kenshinyokan
United_States

Quote:
Ralph Geddes wrote: View Post
Well, it looks like the situation has been taken out of my hands. My wife has banned me from buying a Bokken, in other words she's getting me one for Christmas

I'll have to let you all know which Bokken it is when I get it.
Ralph, you can always suggest
Old 12-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #23
BokkenReview
United_States

What did you get?
Old 12-27-2010, 12:36 AM   #24
Alexander Lee
Dojo: Winchester Tomiki Aikido Club
United Kingdom

Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but seeing its already been raised - can shiro kashi white oak be tempered like hickory?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #25
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
Alexander Lee wrote: View Post
Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but seeing its already been raised - can shiro kashi white oak be tempered like hickory?
It's not as soft as hickory and doesn't really dent as easily. If you want to spend a couple hours banging on your disposable practice tool, probably nobody will stop you, but why bother?