Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #26
jester

United_States
Re: Kingfisher Bokken

Music?? No way. I like to hear my surroundings. I like it when I drive though!! You might get the word 残心 (Zanshin) on your Jo.

What art is your Jo for? Why not get that on the Jo or just your initials. I have a logo I designed for myself back in High School that I wood burned on my bokken handle.

Kingfisher has all the inscriptions listed on their website: http://kingfisherwoodworks.com/inscriptions.html

-
Old 05-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #27
abraxis

United_States
Kingfisher Bokken

Quote:
Tim Jester wrote: View Post
...What art is your Jo for? Why not get that on the Jo....-
"The Art of World Peace", experts disagree about the kanji though.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #28
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
Rudy Ternbach wrote: View Post
"The Art of World Peace", experts disagree about the kanji though.
I had the kanji for "mu" engraved on my old Aikiken. No real reason, and i felt kinda dumb about it most of the time. Though people would ask me what it meant and I'd be like "nuthin'."
Old 05-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #29
abraxis

United_States

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
I had the kanji for "mu" engraved on my old Aikiken. No real reason, and i felt kinda dumb about it most of the time. Though people would ask me what it meant and I'd be like "nuthin'."
I like that, but which script?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #30
jester

United_States

Quote:
Rudy, try a Google search for "mu Japanese"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_%28negative%29
Old 05-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #31
abraxis

United_States
Kingfisher Bokken

Quote:
Rudy, try a Google search for "mu Japanese"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_%28negative%29
I did but then I looked at http://www.ehow.com/how_4464423_writ...se-script.html
and then http://www.fontspace.com/category/japanese,calligraphic and thought I'd ask for a bit more info.

Guess I'll check with Kingfisher, I might even drive there in June.

Best regards...

Last edited by abraxis : 05-19-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #32
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
This one:

You know what would be cool is if you could get the sanskrit for seed syllables engraved....
Old 05-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #33
abraxis

United_States
Cool Kingfisher Bokken

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
This one:

You know what would be cool is if you could get the sanskrit for seed syllables engraved....
Thanks for 無 ; I'll study a bit on sanskrit seed syllables.

Last edited by abraxis : 05-20-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:40 AM   #34
Robert A. Wilkins

We tried Kingfisher bokkens at our dojo and they all broke/splintered within a couple of weeks of use.

This was maybe ten years ago so their quality may have improved, but I would not personally be willing to pay for another one of their bokkens given my personal experience with them.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #35
jester

United_States

Quote:
Robert Wilkins wrote: View Post
This was maybe ten years ago so their quality may have improved,
Not sure what he was making 10 years ago but the Kingfisher Bokken is the only one that didn't break during this guys tests. He has 7 grades of wood to choose from.

http://youtu.be/U6alV4ASeyg

-

-It seems to be all about semantics!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #36
Robert A. Wilkins

Quote:
Not sure what he was making 10 years ago but the Kingfisher Bokken is the only one that didn't break during this guys tests. He has 7 grades of wood to choose from.

http://youtu.be/U6alV4ASeyg

-
When we purchased from Kingfisher, they had 3 grades to choose from. We put an order in for something like 10+ bokkens and each of those began splintering within a week or two. We ordered another batch and had the same thing happen.

Looking back, those particular bokken seemed very light, much lighter and denser feeling than the white oak bokken we had at the dojo at the time.

Again, I would stress that this was 10 years ago, so it may very well be the case that Kingfisher bokkens have improved tremendously in terms of performance, but considering that I shelled out $200+ on them and had them splinter and break on me in matter of months, I think I'll be sticking with the white oak.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #37
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

I placed a bulk order for high grade hickory bokkens and jos for my students last year. They take a licking and keep on ticking..... I am a LONG time user of Kingfisher weapons and endorse using them without any reservations whatsoever.

Marc Abrams
Old 06-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #38
Jim Sorrentino

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo

Hello Robert,
Quote:
Robert Wilkins wrote: View Post
Again, I would stress that this was 10 years ago, so it may very well be the case that Kingfisher bokkens have improved tremendously in terms of performance, but considering that I shelled out $200+ on them and had them splinter and break on me in matter of months, I think I'll be sticking with the white oak.
I enthusiastically agree with Marc Abrams's endorsement of Kingfisher Woodworks. This is the first time I have ever heard of such an experience with Kingfisher's products. I have a set of bokken and jo that I got in 1991 that are still going strong.

Did you contact Kingfisher when you had problems with your bokken? In my experience, the company has always gone above and beyond to ensure customer satisfaction.

Please feel free to send me a PM.

Jim

I mistrust all systematizers and I avoid them. The will to a system is a lack of integrity. Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols
Old 06-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #39
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Jim Sorrentino wrote: View Post
Hello Robert,

I enthusiastically agree with Marc Abrams's endorsement of Kingfisher Woodworks. This is the first time I have ever heard of such an experience with Kingfisher's products. I have a set of bokken and jo that I got in 1991 that are still going strong.

Did you contact Kingfisher when you had problems with your bokken? In my experience, the company has always gone above and beyond to ensure customer satisfaction.

Please feel free to send me a PM.

Jim
Jim:

I think we got our weapons around the same time! Think Brad would want to use us as poster children for his products?

Regards,

Marc

ps- What Jim said regarding Brad and customer service has been my experience as well.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #40
Robert A. Wilkins

Well when the first batch started failing, my teacher called Kingfisher and explained the situation and they sent out some replacements, but they too started to splinter and break. When my teacher called Kingfisher back they told him him it wasn't their bokkens but his teaching methods that were at fault. Okey dokey he said and we stopped ordering anymore bokkens from them.

We've been using white oak bokkens from Kiyota Trading Co. ever since.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #41
inframan
United_States

Has anyone done a comparison between the hand cut grades and the lower sanded grades? Just wondering about the difference in weight and durability.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #42
jbblack

Dojo: Aikido of Roseville
United_States

Quote:
Andy Strawn wrote: View Post
Has anyone done a comparison between the hand cut grades and the lower sanded grades? Just wondering about the difference in weight and durability.
I have two sandpaper bokken and one hand cut from Kingfisher. They have all held up very well. The sandpaper units just feel a bit different, but they are just as strong as the hand cuts. Love the feel of both.
Cheers, Jeff
Old 07-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #43
inframan
United_States

I got a hold of a kingfisher they other day, I think it was a sanded one, looked great, suprisingly light but felt great. Perhaps their Iwama model or the higher grade wood is a little heavier?

The grip and the finish was very comfortable and it felt well ballanced. I think it would be a good choice if you want something fast and make a lot of contact in your weapons training.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #44
Cynrod
United_States

Quote:
Andy Strawn wrote: View Post
I got a hold of a kingfisher they other day, I think it was a sanded one, looked great, suprisingly light but felt great. Perhaps their Iwama model or the higher grade wood is a little heavier?

The grip and the finish was very comfortable and it felt well ballanced. I think it would be a good choice if you want something fast and make a lot of contact in your weapons training.
I got the shinto bokken and the jo from Kingfisher. Both are hand cut grade 7 and I am very happy with them. I tried some bokkens and jos before (I am not telling which manufactures) but these Kingfishers are by far my favorites. Balance, feel and durability are what counts more for me.

It's true that they cost more than the other manufacturers,,, but hey they will last you for a long time. Maybe they will outlived you . "You get what you pay for" is mostly applies here !

"For The Secret That The Warrior Seeks: You Must Know That The Basic Principles Lie In The Study Of The Spirit." - Morihei Ueshiba