Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-15-2011, 03:06 AM   #1
Lee Salzman
Anyone near/in Hyvinkää, Finland want to meet up to work on internal strength?

Kind of a long shot, but I am just putting it out there... I am going to be in the Hyvinkää, Finland area for quite a while, and I was wondering if there are any other people around here who would like to meet up and work on IS (more aiki-related, though) stuff every once in a while? There are some things I wish I could work on a bit more, but I don't have much in the way of people to work on them with, so contact me here please if you're nearby and interested!

Last edited by Lee Salzman : 02-15-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands
Re: Anyone near/in Hyvinkää, Finland want to meet up to work on internal strength?

Just out of curiosity - what on earth are you doing in Hyvinkää?

You're not that far from Helsinki, that might increase the odds...

Pauliina
Old 02-15-2011, 04:52 AM   #3
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Anyone near/in Hyvinkää, Finland want to meet up to work on internal strength?

Hello,

I suggest you consult the Finnish Aikikai, whose website is here: https://www.aikidoliitto.fi/

There is an aikido dojo in Hyvinkää and you might find people there who are interested in internal training.

Best wishes,

P Goldsbury

P A Goldsbury
Old 02-15-2011, 05:02 AM   #4
Lee Salzman

Pauliina, I am engaging in training in an unrelated martial discipline at the moment, but there are still some things I might like to work on otherwise.

Peter, but would they be able to help me with finding people interested in meeting up to not train aikido?
Old 02-15-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

I have no idea.

You made the initial post in a general Aikido forum, so it is highly likely that the responses here will come from those who practise aikido. Have you tried Mike Sigman's Qijin forum?

Quote:
Lee Salzman wrote: View Post
Pauliina, I am engaging in training in an unrelated martial discipline at the moment, but there are still some things I might like to work on otherwise.

Peter, but would they be able to help me with finding people interested in meeting up to not train aikido?

P A Goldsbury
Old 02-15-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
Lee Salzman

You are certainly correct in one sense, that is a slightly odd request to make in the aikiweb NTMA forum, but the Qijin list carries with it certain participation requirements that I don't believe I can fulfill at this time. But on the other hand, the material I would like to work on is aiki-related (if you would like to call it a Dan Harden study group, so be it), and this seemed like the place to inquire.

I may check in with the local dojo here once, but usually propositioning people who are not already converted never goes well, and I don't know if I have the balls to try that there since I can't see how to broach the topic there without coming off as insulting, unless you have any suggestions on that. They're either already interested and looking for people to train with in the subject, or there is nothing I can say or show, with respect to my own current abilities, to convince them. It's a tricky situation, any way you slice it. Like I said, it was a long shot anyway.

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
I have no idea.

You made the initial post in a general Aikido forum, so it is highly likely that the responses here will come from those who practise aikido. Have you tried Mike Sigman's Qijin forum?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

Looks like the dojo in Hyvinkää has hosted Anno sensei a couple times. Might give an idea of what kind of aikido they do. A quick google also found a MMA/BJJ/kickboxing etc. club in Hyvinkää.

I wonder how many Finnish budo people read Aikiweb? It might still be a good idea to contact the Finnish Aikikai just to reach a bigger number of people, I don't know if they have a discussion forum or anything like that?

Good luck anyway.

Pauliina
Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Hi Lee,

If I were up there I'd check (out of curiosity) this people:

http://www.kyushoaikijutsu.com/eng/menetelma/

http://www.youtube.com/user/tokauhan#p/u/22/Npdxk6t8KIY
Old 02-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
Lee Salzman

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Hi Lee,

If I were up there I'd check (out of curiosity) this people:

http://www.kyushoaikijutsu.com/eng/menetelma/

http://www.youtube.com/user/tokauhan#p/u/22/Npdxk6t8KIY
"Pressure Point study started at 1993 under George A. Dillman." That's about as far as I got before I decided to retain my dignity and avert my eyes... Those crazy Finns.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

But they have 'aiki', or so they say.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
Lee Salzman

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
But they have 'aiki', or so they say.
Ya know what, maybe I should just stick to my wrestling practice and leave it at that.