Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
Guilty Spark

United_States
Strengthening an injured shoulder

A few years ago I dislocated my shoulder at work. Every now and then when I move my shoulder the wrong way (say throwing a baseball) it "sub luxes" or starts to slide out of joint. Luckily it hasn't dislocated again but it can still be painful depending what I do. My biggest worry about practicing aikido was my shoulder bumming out on me however tonight has been the first instance of it happening in two years (and it was slight at that) so I'm not that concerned over it, just bad luck

While I intend to ask someone in the medical field about it, I was wondering of anyone here had any input or advice on how I can strengthen my shoulder muscles to help avoid it slipping out of joint? I would imagine shoulder injuries are common enough in aikido?

Cheers

Grant

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 07-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #2
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: Strengthening an injured shoulder

First, you're on the right track with getting medical advice from a qualified practitioner, which I am not. Have it checked and barring things like a poorly healed labrum tear (Bankart's Lesion), a physical therapist should be able to help you.

I would wait until you've been checked out before you start hitting it hard, you may end up re-injuring yourself (I've done this and it's no fun).

More than likely you'll be put on a program to strengthen the rotator cuff (a group of muscles which help hold the ball in the socket and provide the necessary motions needed within the joint during shoulder movement). Also look to your posture. If you carry yourself with a slouched back and shoulders forward you can get a lot of tightness in the front of the shoulder and weakness at the back which can make rehabilitating the shoulder difficult.
Good luck,

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 07-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

As pointed out by Bronson, a dislocation can damage the labrum making the shoulder unstable. Torn rotator cuff muscles may also do so. If you cannot achieve stability by rehab then it might require surgical repair to tighten the capsule or repair torn cuff muscles.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:37 AM   #4
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

I badly subluxed in my second day of training! I cna't find the printed instructions that the resident physical therapist gave me, but i also worked with the exercises here:
http://www.sportsmed.buffalo.edu/info/sublux2.html
which I ran by my chiropractor in advance.
I do lots of low-weight, high rep stuff with dumbells,too, to keep the shoulder muscles developed and strong without adding bulk.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1