Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-11-2002, 03:47 PM   #1
"Sara M"
IP Hash: d4769d7d
Anonymous User
Sensing Ki...

Ive been at aikido for a few months now (the style I study is Ki aikido) and i was just wondering...

1. I seem to be having difficulty in sensing other peoples ki, sometimes i can... but then other times its like I can't define ki from just being (that probably sounds REALLY weird, but anyway ) and then its too late hes got me... is there any techniques that I could practise to help me develop in this specific area?

2. Can you 'sense' what kind of emotion someone is in by their Ki?

Thanks,
Sara
Old 06-11-2002, 05:39 PM   #2
shihonage
United_States
Yeah its called "having life experience"
Old 06-11-2002, 08:30 PM   #3
fullerfury
Dojo: North County Aikikai
United_States
Hi Sara. I am not sure what it means to sense another person's ki. However you mentioned that you have been doing Aikido for a couple of months. I have been practicing for quite some time and have yet to sense another persons intent or attack yet. I recommend focusing on basic technique.

Good luck!

-G
Old 06-11-2002, 10:54 PM   #4
"Sara M"
IP Hash: d76f16fc
Anonymous User
thanks for the replys...
Old 06-11-2002, 11:13 PM   #5
SeiserL

United_States
Yes, you can develop a sensitivity to ki by practicing slow and relaxed and being more aware of it. Pay attention to those times you feel/sense it. How did you do that?

In Wing Chun we do Chi Sau and in Tai Chi we do pushing hands blindfolded to develop that sense of touch and knowing where the movement is going.

And yes again, you can often sense the emotions by being sensitive to the kinesthetic sense of touch.

Best advice is to relax, breath, and enjoy yourself. The sense of Ki will come with practice.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 06-12-2002, 02:46 AM   #6
Jorx
Dojo: Pärnu Aikidoclub Singitai
Estonia
As there is no clear definition for ki, you shouldn't use that term this lightly. Let the Jedi have the Force

But okay... I remember clearly that when I started I used to have little "mystical" experiences during some techniques and mokuso. Now I seem to know that there was nothing mystical about it.

Try to focus on good basic techniques and let your "sense of ki" develop on its own at least for some years of practice...

That was my not so humble opinion...

Jorgen
Estonian Aikikai
Rivet Sportsclub
Old 06-12-2002, 07:22 AM   #7
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Can you see the real KI?

Sensing Ki, can be defined as feeling the energy, or sensing force being put into one area.

Everyone has an emotional wall that screens out the emotional, physical, and mental aspects of things around us so that we are not bombarded by a constant barage of feelings, senses, or danger signals that would drive us to a paranoia,a schitzofrenia, and basically unbalance our emotional state of well being. The "State of Well Being" is the one barrier that lets us be stabil in the world of signals.

Most people have the hair on the back of their neck/danger feeling, but there are subtle lesser effects that are transmitted by touch, and sometimes signals of lesser significance that are "butterflys in your stomach" or "sensing danger and getting out of the way", but in either case they are very slight signals you percieve on an almost nonexistent level.

We know for a fact that our biology creates small electrical pulses when the body moves or is just plain alive. The simple way to explain the sense of ki is the static electricity on a baloon trick. (you know, rub and inflated baloon on a sweater or upon the hair of your head, it becomes statically charged, then you stick it to the ceiling. Old trick from childhood.)

It is said that the movement of certain types of electricity can be felt by the hairs of your body, let alone by the reaction of a body to a larger charge of energy, so this is what is related to sensing KI in 90% of questions related to what Ki is.

In the other ten percent, it is an awareness of body and mind that is almost like the second sight of a mystic who senses the present, but is aware of something just slightly in the future from this moment.

LOOK INTO THE CRYSTAL BALL ... and five bucks in the hat would be nice too.

Just kidding.

But really, it is something like that.

The only way you can get to sense these things, is emotional, and physical detachment from the situation. You must detach your emotions as if you were absolutely unable to be affected by whatever is happening, and believe without reserve in what you doing so that no other thoughts interfere. Only with that clarity can you then use the bioelectrical signals you body recieves like a radar, and the interpretation of the minds second sight.

I stumbled across this simple, but complex technique while trying to keep up with my children playing video games. Yep. Video games.

Yoga explains it in words and meditation practice, but for me to actually come across the actual use of it, outside of sparring practice in karate, it took a video game.

There is no telling how confused emotional baggage makes the signals of what we call interpreting Ki. It sometimes starts with body language, smells, sights, sounds but it always comes down to letting the mind interpret all the data without trying to think about it ... it just happens.

This may or may not apply to you, as not every person is in the same emotional state of mind, but getting hold of your emotions, finding a safe place that causes emotional detachment so the mind and body can interpret signals is about the only way to get the "RADAR" up and running for its full effect.

I hope this helps on some level.

... or try a video game. If you can play one without emotional input/ detachment, and laugh because it is just a game, that will be a start.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:32 AM   #8
"Sara M"
IP Hash: 3a555d53
Anonymous User
Thanks again for the posts, They've been really useful
Old 06-12-2002, 12:33 PM   #9
Ali B
United Kingdom
Hi sarah,

I think all of the answers you had were great. I would just like to say that some people think that the feeling of ki will be really noticeable after practicing for a while.

Its strange but you become aware of just how subtle it is and the more subtle you can make your feeling, the more easily you will be able to feel and recognise KI.

If that makes sense to you. Your sensei will teach you to hold with KI, the softer you make your hands, lighter your touch, the stronger your hold will be.

May you have many wonderful times between then and now, studying it and enjoying the feeling. You also have to keep in mind that it is there whether you notice it or not.

Love and light

Ali
Old 06-13-2002, 12:22 AM   #10
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Quote:
Originally posted by Sara M
Ive been at aikido for a few months now (the style I study is Ki aikido) and i was just wondering...

1. I seem to be having difficulty in sensing other peoples ki, sometimes i can... but then other times its like I can't define ki from just being (that probably sounds REALLY weird, but anyway ) and then its too late hes got me... is there any techniques that I could practise to help me develop in this specific area?

2. Can you 'sense' what kind of emotion someone is in by their Ki?

Thanks,
Sara
A good operational definition for KI is the person's will or intent. To develop a feel for this, the following method can be used.[list=1][*]Have your uke attack three times.[*]On the first attack say "One", when you feel their intention of attacking start.[*]On the second attack say "Two", when you feel their intention.[*]On the third attack do the technique, moving instead of counting.[/list=1]
Remember to count/move when you feel their intention, not when you see them move. If you try to react to their attack, you'll be too slow. Also, neither uke or nage should get caught up in a rhythm of attacks. Each attack should be treated separately as far as timing goes.

The reason you want to develop this feeling is to give the correct timing on your technique. If you move too soon, the uke can attack immediately when you break ma-ai (distance). If you move too late, the uke's attack will succeed. Ideally, you want to move when your uke moves.

Using the imagery of a ballroom dancing couple, they move as one unit. They move together in unison, just like a good uke-nage relationship. Part of the reason they can dance like one unit, is because they've developed a feeling of empathy between each other.

Hopefully, through ki development, you can also gain this feeling of empathy with others. In this way, it can be said that you can sense their Ki. BTW, this is not a mystical talent. Mothers use it everyday when they take care of their kids.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You