Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-24-2008, 04:57 AM   #1
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
United_States
R-e-s-p-e-c-t

I have been learning martial arts for most of my life. I started Aikido in April 2007. Since that time I have been very fortunate in having an excellent instructor teaching me the way of Aikido. I also have read many Aikido books and so many articles! I have thoroughly enjoyed the Aikido discussions and banter on this marvelous website.
Through all my Aikido experience one of the attribute that I have seen emphasized is respect. Recently, I have noticed that I am paying closer attention to how I bow or pass off a bokken to my training partner or ensure that we bow before and after a technique. I find that paying attention to such details does drill respect for others in my head but I've noticed that it has begun to change me! I'm finding that I as I pay closer attention toward respecting others that I am creating a sense of dignity and self-respect for my self. I know theoretically that it is supposed to do that but it is cool to find that it really does it!
Have you found that to be true for you? Any stories about learning that sense of respect from your Sensei or someone else?

Dpc

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
Gandhi
Old 10-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden
Re: R-e-s-p-e-c-t

I started aikido as a teenager, and quickly got into the habit of bowing to people. It was not always well-received.

In senior high, I was the Chairman of the school board (a joint board for students, teachers, headmaster, and so on, in a radical Swedish democratic experiment at the time). When I bowed out of aikido reflex to the headmaster, my fellow students complained that I had become a willing slave of the establishment, or something like that.
The headmaster was amused.

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: https://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd
Old 10-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Onegaishimasu. My take on bowing is something Suzuki Roshi said: "Bowing is a serious practice. You should be prepared to bow, even in your last moment". It is not kowtowing to anyone or anything; it is a most wonderful response/technique. In the West, people 'hug' rather than 'bow', but I am of the opinion that lots of sexual hijinks begin to make themselves appear with the 'hug'. What saves students and teachers is the 'bow'. (of course, if the bow involves 'cleavage', that is another story/topic).

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 10-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand

A sincere bow is a wonderful gift.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 10-28-2008, 05:42 AM   #5
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Stefan Stenudd wrote: View Post
I started aikido as a teenager, and quickly got into the habit of bowing to people. It was not always well-received.

In senior high, I was the Chairman of the school board (a joint board for students, teachers, headmaster, and so on, in a radical Swedish democratic experiment at the time). When I bowed out of aikido reflex to the headmaster, my fellow students complained that I had become a willing slave of the establishment, or something like that.
The headmaster was amused.
Yeah, done that. I've walked into a class room and bowed, called lecturers Sensei, bowed to lecturers.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #6
C. David Henderson
United_States

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote: View Post
Onegaishimasu. My take on bowing is something Suzuki Roshi said: "Bowing is a serious practice. You should be prepared to bow, even in your last moment". It is not kowtowing to anyone or anything; it is a most wonderful response/technique.
I really like this quote, and Mark's gloss. Bowing practice provides a form in much the same was as kihon techniques provide a way to train (other) martial principles. IM(hopefully-someday)HO

DH
Old 10-30-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
United_States

Thanks for sharing your stories! As an American I was not raised to bow but to shake a person's hand. Although there is a certain art to shaking hands I have not experienced any personal changes from the practice. However, after training in the martial arts (and especially in Aikido) I find that proper attention to dojo etiquette and in particular bowing protocol has had an emotional and psychological change in me and has altered my sense of perception toward myself and my "opponent". After developing the "habit" have you noted any internal changes?

Doc

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
Gandhi
Old 11-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
Harm-ony
Dojo: Unisba Aikido Club
Indonesia

respect should came from the soul (sincere), bowing is only an indicator, smiling too...
We can shake hand with respect, and someone we shake will know that we respect him/her....
Internal changes will occur if we really do the bowing, hugs, etc with sincere respect, not only 'seems respect'...

i think so....

Peace and Love

Old 11-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

Although I have been called a lot of things, in the end everyone concedes that I am respectful. That kind of softens the blow of my various character flaws. I learned that from my mom, by the way, not any sage warrior type.