Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Alberto_Italiano
Wrist Training With Holistic Effects?

Has anybody stumbled into this strange phenomenon?

If you make 5 or 6 days a week of wrist training (say 15 minutes, at most 20) in sets of 40 repetitions per each wrist (about 15 different excercises) plus some wrist training with weights (say 30+ pounds per wrist, mostly flexions), after a couple of weeks or so you dodge parry and irimi much better.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Wrist Training With Holistic Effects?

Hi Alberto long time no see. I think what you say makes perfect sense. It is the wrist that actually tightens and blocks energy flow the most. The exercise and thus awareness of it in action would have a freeing effect on your overall performance.

Good on ya.

Regards.G.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
Alberto_Italiano
Re: Wrist Training With Holistic Effects?

I may explain better what happens.
Firstly, i find myself grabbing an arm with wrists, something that I did not do previously. That is, the gap between a flexed wrist and the armpit can be used to improve a grip. An arm can be allocated in that gap, and the resistance (aside, for a moment, from the fact in Aikido we should not resist) that this type of grip can offer is considerable or, at any rate, exploitable.

Secondly, being more aware of my wrists because of more intensive training of them, makes me use them also to slide my wrist along an arm in order to reach uke's wrist - earlier I had to look, now i don't look i just follow the arm as a guide (now that I think of that, once Tyson said a thing: "I don't need to watch him, once i see his chest, his head is above it" - gross, but makes sense).

Last, the fact I am aware of my wrists when I am engaged, makes me use them as "definers" of space. I may know where I am knowing where my wrists are - as if they were fins.