Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #51
C. David Henderson
United_States
Re: 5th Kyu Shihan

Quote:
Michael Johnson wrote: View Post
I could adopt the attitude some in this thread have espoused, namely, let her do poor technique on me without comment or avoid her altogether. Neither is a tenable solution in my mind.
Why? You seem to feel responsible for teaching her.

Quote:
....I did speak with my sensei about it after practice. ... Perhaps ... if her attitude continues, he will do something about it

Okay, that sounds like a good solution. In the meanwhile, what will you do? Correct her?

Even if she is violating some expectations about how she should behave, in our dojo at least it really would not be your job to fix it. From that perspective, even if she was wrong, she was also right.

You talk about her "poor technique;" is it clear to you how much of the deviation between her technique and your expectations reflects poor execution and how much reflects a difference in style from her old school? If you allow her to do the technique, just take ukemi, and let your sensei be responsible for teaching, you may learn something no one else at your dojo can teach you.

FWIW.

David

David Henderson
Old 09-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #52
JCT53
Dojo: Just This Aikido

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote: View Post
...hopefully the condition this poor person is afflicted with can be treated with one large single treatment of "back-of-head-being-bounced-off-the-mat".

Normally cures most cases of control, verbal flatulence, and ego.
Results may vary. Consult your sensei if more than one treatment is required.

The funny thing is that for a while I was like that. I wouldn't take ukemi. So, one day, I got SLAMMED!! Head hit thematt, air left my lungs, and I haven't acted like that yet.

Great treatment

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
Old 09-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #53
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

I was in a class a few days ago in which a man took his grading for 5th kyu at the start; later, when we practiced suwari waza shomen-uchi irimi nage, I performed shomen-uchi, and he explained to me that the way I was doing it made it impossible for him to do the technique...I was cutting down, in a straight line, with my hand, down his centre - does that make it impossible for someone to perform an aikido technique - is that like kryptonite to an aikidoka!?!

I think he expected me to strike, then finish by losing my balance as I missed him (like the samurai trained to do, and all that), making it possible for him to perform the technique.
Quite frustrating; next time, i'll call the instructor over, I think.

He's previously told me that the way I received prevented him from performing a technique...I didn't know what the hell he was talking about then, either.