Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-14-2001, 09:53 PM   #26
bobmartin
Many Thanks

I'd like to thank everyone for their words and thoughts. I think, collectively, your replies have answered this newbie Aikido-ist's question.
To begin with, there are too many variables in any situation for pat answers. Exactly where participants are standing, where the doors are, lighting, the state of mind of all those involved, the "sense" of the scene, the way people are facing, the confidence of the attacked, words or lack of them ... all play a part in setting up the situation. It is then the Akido-ist's reading of the situation, and long trained instincts that will determine the proper course of action (which may be non-action). Changing any of the factors could result in a completely different approach. Any dynamic situation is fragile and can be spilled in many different directions. Aikido is a way by which we may exert control over which way it will spill; from being dilligent enough to prevent, still enough to calm, wise enough to deflect and skilled enough do what is necessary if the situation demands. It is as multilayered as any situation and it is up to the Aikido-ist to train and attain a level of skill, internal and external, to blend with whatever is confronted and dissipate the situation.
How am I doing?
Old 09-15-2001, 08:23 AM   #27
Marc McIntyre
Dojo: Wadokai of Greenville
I'm also a newbie to aikido, and an experienced karateka. I refer back to various readings I have toiled through. The ultimate goal of aikido is one of non-violence. This is a noble goal and one that could be obtained,IF the attaker is willing to let it be.
There are situations in which your attacker may have reduced your options to a singular certainty...his or your demise. We need only to revert back to the attacks on the World Trade Center to see this. Some situations are just beyond your benevolent nature.
I feel we need to protect ourselves first. We did not set the course of events, therefore we cannot always raise the level of their violence. We blend and redirect. We cannot transmogrify.
So saying this, one of the most simple and devastating finishes in all of budo, is the stomp! A primary advantage of you standing and your opponent prone is the power to utilize your body weight and strength in a devestating technique; one that should incapacitate your attacker in one fell swoop. As brutal and un-aiki as it sounds, I doubt very seriously if O'Sensei would find your death an aiki-like phenomenon.;-)

Old 12-08-2001, 09:05 PM   #28
otto
Dojo: Independent
Venezuela
Question Takemusu Aiki......

Respected Mr.L Camejo...
would you elaborate please on the meanig of "Takemusu Aiki"....i'm pretty much a begginer and since you used that phrase to compress what we as aikidoka are pursuing....it's my best interest to know what i am after.

Thanks very much in advance...
Ottoniel D.Ojeda M.

P.S.: si pudiera definirlo en espaņol...muchisimo mejor!!!

"Perfection is a Process"
Old 12-10-2001, 12:53 PM   #29
JohannesD
I have read books where it says that Ueshiba broak ppls arms and such... He had an xibition where like all of his students got hurt quite badly(brooken ribs, legs etc...)Soo if u have too u should make some high throws and throw them into the walls and such..
Theyll follow ill promisse u.. Even if they dont train aikido.. I know..(Street fight..)

But do what the situation tells u to do..

Follow your instinct..
Always trust it...
//Johannes Davidsson
Old 12-12-2001, 07:06 AM   #30
adrian
I think people get this "harmony" priciple wrong. Anyway i get it somehow defferent. If would be in a stituation like the one described i would break his nose or ..... with a strong punch (maybe a couple) then i would break his arm or knee. I would kill the guy if i had to and i would not consider it against the principles of Aikido. But if i knew the guy is harmless and then kill him then THAT would be against Aikido principles. I think that your understanding of harmony is weakness, if you think you can defend yourself against someone bigger and stronger without harming him then you should wake up. He would atack stronger and become more dangerous. I just dont undernstand how people can think about the atacker's health, the guy can kill you, your wife....the safest is to break him hard, or kill him if necessary.
As i said in another post, one should train for very long time to undernstand the principles of Aikido, words and weak techniques will kill you in a real fight.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:38 AM   #31
shihonage
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by adrian
words and weak techniques will kill you in a real fight.
More likely, words can save your life.
Look up "verbal diffusal tactics" often taught in reality self-defense schools.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:43 AM   #32
Andy
Quote:
Originally posted by adrian
As i said in another post, one should train for very long time to undernstand the principles of Aikido, words and weak techniques will kill you in a real fight.
So, how long have you been training?