Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-24-2005, 02:07 PM   #26
Adam Huss

United_States
Re: Ever Had To Use Aikido For Real?

Everyday.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 08-24-2005, 03:05 PM   #27
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

There was a great article in today's San Diego Union. It was reported that a man in Escondido was the victim of a home invasion robbery yesterday. His attacker was armed with what was described as a samurai sword. The victim was hospitalized with an arm injury and the attacker got away. All this time I thought we did bokken dori to just to teach us movement.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 08-24-2005, 04:25 PM   #28
Aiki Teacher
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Broke up a fight between two eight grade boys at school. One swung at the other put him in yonkyoThe second went to swing at him locked his shoulder up into an arm bar. Held them till another teacher could show up to take one. The Yonkyo one cussed quite abit about pain. The Week before a teacher recieved three cracked ribs breaking up a fight.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:39 AM   #29
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Johnny Couch wrote:
Broke up a fight between two eight grade boys at school. One swung at the other put him in yonkyoThe second went to swing at him locked his shoulder up into an arm bar. Held them till another teacher could show up to take one. The Yonkyo one cussed quite abit about pain. The Week before a teacher recieved three cracked ribs breaking up a fight.
Err... Johnny, how old actually are eight grader? I assume they are say, 8 - 10 years old? if that is true, do you people feed them steroids over there? Just kidding

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:29 AM   #30
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

8th graders are 12-14 years old. I have 8th graders as old as 16.

If I did that in one of my phys ed classes, I would be arrested, fired, and sued.

The statute of limitations varies from state to state for such a suit. Here in NY is is 6 years. So the CHILD you controled through physical force can graduate from you school, and blind side you with a suit when you have almost forgotten about it.

School security should be responsible for breaking up fights, not teachers. There should be a clause about it in your contract.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:49 AM   #31
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Ok, I have no experience as a teacher to speak of. But I don't think I would sit there while a 200 pound 16 year old beat up on a 12 year old 135 pounder. The smaller kid could be dead by the time security got there. What are you supposed to do...blow a whistle or something???

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-25-2005, 08:12 AM   #32
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

Personal ethical responsibility outweighs legal concerns.

Looking at it the other way around has started to mess up education (and other areas).
Old 08-25-2005, 09:27 AM   #33
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

Ron,

In the case you describe it would logically and morally seem like a prudent teacher would have the responsibility to ensure the safety of the smaller student. It is because of this that the contractual protection against this responsibility exists. You do not have to voluntarily risk your personal safety to be a teacher. We would lose many of them if that were the case. But, just because teachers are forbidden doesn't mean that they won't be morally or emotionally driven to act.

Also, teachers are not supposed to touch students. They still do, but the law is there to protect students from any harm.

I respect your position very much, but think it dangerous. And yes, if you learn how to use the whistle as a tool properly, the kiai produced can have a real effect on a young mind.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:33 AM   #34
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hi Lyle,

Western civilization is in decline because the youth (born basically as animals) are not being raised to be human beings. Just one of my many useless opinions...

I remember teaching nature stuff at a camp over the summer. Some inner city kids decided my nature tour and lecture was a good time for free sparring. so I joined in. Never touched anyone, but that was the last free-sparring nature walk we ever had. And it turned out, some of the best nature walks too.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-25-2005, 05:57 PM   #35
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Mal Smith wrote:
ive never used an aikido technique 'in the real world'... but i have lots of older siblings who like to pick on me, and sometimes my training shines through while rough-housing. but i would never really hurt them or anything.
I'm often in a similar situation as most of my friends are scrappers who rather enjoy getting into fights. My favorite incident came when my buddy had just returned from boot camp and we went camping. I hopped out onto a small rock near the edge of a river. My buddy thought it would be funny to knock me but almost ended up doing a nose-dive (I didn't want him to land face first). I like this incident because I had nowhere to move my feet, it was a slight pivot and a cut downward then outward. He didn't try again

Gambarimashyo!
Old 08-29-2005, 03:31 AM   #36
Jiawei
Singapore

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote:
I'm often in a similar situation as most of my friends are scrappers who rather enjoy getting into fights. My favorite incident came when my buddy had just returned from boot camp and we went camping. I hopped out onto a small rock near the edge of a river. My buddy thought it would be funny to knock me but almost ended up doing a nose-dive (I didn't want him to land face first). I like this incident because I had nowhere to move my feet, it was a slight pivot and a cut downward then outward. He didn't try again

You sure they are your friends ? Good practice mates yes...friends...I don't think so. Heh heh...
Old 09-05-2005, 11:38 PM   #37
ikkitosennomusha

Unfortunately, yes. Have faith in your training, it works!
Old 09-15-2005, 12:02 PM   #38
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

' The first time i was forced to use aikido, i was outnumbered as one of my friends made an " Unwise " comment about another bloke in a nearby pub.... who then turned up with his mates.
Lets just say that confrontation was well.... Bad. No major injuries- few bruises, couple of cuts but otherwise fine. '

' The second time was when visiting friends. a few yobs or "gangstas" as they like to call themselves were following me and my friends. One threw a bottle that nearly hit us. Even number, pitched battle...... LETS DANCE!
At 4th kyu level at said incident- needless to say we won. '

' Having to use my aikido is not something i want to do, nor is it something that i take pleasure in- but it's nice for the knowledge to be there just in case it all goes pear shaped.
I must also stress that both experiences ( were in hands-worth wood or Birmingham at night) were nothing like the dojo. Uke didn't come full force with their attacks nore did they try to grab my hand or come shomenuchi. To all the other Non Dansha out there BEWARE! one must MAKE aikido work- It doesn't just fall into place, most of the time- it is engineered. ' - Richard Player.

I and Tim had a similar experiance Richard, here it is, recounted for all and sundry:

The first time I was forced to use my mad AIKIDO POWERS was when myself and Tim where walking home from the university bar in sunderland at night. Now this is a bad thing, as im sure everyone knows Sunderland is full of CHAV'S or GANGSTERS as old people without a clue about youth subculture like to call them.

We turned round a dark alley and suddenly about 50 really big blokes jumped us. Now at first we were terrified but then we remembered that we were both first kyu's and had 'MAD MARTIAL ARTS SKILLZ TM'. The army of uke's ran at us, now what initially surprised us was that the 'uke's' or 'assailants' as I like to think of them, did not grab our wrists nor shomen uchi us! LIKE DUDE, WTF?!! They actually attacked us YOKOMEN-UCHI 1111

Now, the odds werent exactly fair, but we werent going to give them time to go get another 50 friends as were already late for the weekly episode of MONKEY that we never miss! So Tim looked at me and said:

' "LETS DANCE"

Whereby we proceeded to TANGO THE F*CK out of them!!! Igrabbed the nearest one in a classic foxtrot stance and then effortlesslty executed a right box step with pivot. H fell qickly, and upping the tempo Imoved seamlessly into an irish dance, altough this immobilised my arms, the assailants all lined up for the big riverdance finale, and myself and Tim managed to throw in a few samba style moves to really confuse them. A few techniques later and there we were standing effortlessly over our mountain of corpses.

I looked to Tim and said in a cool action movie hero style:

' Were a two man wrecking crew, OH YEAH!'

Then we high fived each other and sauntered home to watch monkey and drink shandy!

LEET C00L KRAZINESS 1111
SUP G?

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:05 PM   #39
Tim Gerrard

Dojo: White Rose Aikikai - Durham
United Kingdom

Whoa, watch out Nick the PTSD flashbacks are kicking in...I'm back in that alley right now.....

Aikido doesn't work? My Aikido works, what on earth are you practicing?!
Old 09-15-2005, 12:08 PM   #40
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

Back And Kicking Ass Eh Bud!

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:28 PM   #41
Tim Gerrard

Dojo: White Rose Aikikai - Durham
United Kingdom

Well I know you had shandy, and after you fell asleep, I had half a crate of wife beater, then went out to find the 50 mates of the assailants that we'd beat down. Couldn't find them though......

Aikido doesn't work? My Aikido works, what on earth are you practicing?!
Old 09-16-2005, 02:27 AM   #42
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

This story was brought to you by the number of hooligans we killed: 50

And

The letters: B E A T D O W N

Old 09-22-2005, 11:06 PM   #43
Kenneth Baņares
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai
Canada
Thumbs down Re: Ever Had To Use Aikido For Real?

I've been practicing aikikai aikido for 2 years.
I went for a smoke on my coffee break outside where i work and saw a guy circling a bike rack. didn't think anything of it until he started yanking on the seat to get the lock off on one of the bicycles....(a nice one too..) A lady ran out of the nearby mall screaming hysterically for the man to stop...what amazes me was no one stopped to help this lady they all walked past the thief. anyways, i approached the guy and casually said leave the bike alone the owner is over there , he proceeded to push me and say MYOB i to which i replied "Do not do that again" of course he did.
Grabbed his hand as he was about to touch my shoulder , moved to the side and dropped him in shoulder pin. He was squirming and saying "it hurts"... told the lady to call mall security and took the punk away. And of course i had to get back to my mind numbing job. . i am glad i didn't get the urge to just punch the guy but was calm and collect.

plus i did want to ruin the nice shirt i was wearing. (LOL) :
Old 09-22-2005, 11:17 PM   #44
dyffcult
United_States

Kren,

Now that is a perfect aikido story.

eh...

Brenda
Old 09-23-2005, 12:07 AM   #45
Mike Fugate
Dojo: The School of Two Styles
United_States
Thumbs down Re: Ever Had To Use Aikido For Real?

Wow! There are some funny stories on here. Hey I have used techniques before in real life, but I dont know if they were strictly Aikido. One time I was challenge to match up with a guy who just got out of the army, and of course i declined. But one thing led to another, and he put his hand on my shoulder trying to provoke me. Well I believe if anyone places there body on you it becomes your property, so i grabbed his hand and walked away...BAM!! He fell over! LOL...So he of course ges up and gets into a typical street fightin stance, and jabs in at me, So I slap blocked his punchand simultaniously snap kicked him in the groin, as he buckled over the arm i blocked was quickly locked up and I just kept him moving downwards. SPLAT!!! LOL...Funny thing is, is that unlike in a dojo, when you actually do these things for real, it is all much faster, and you dont have as much time to "plan" or prepare....It must be instinct. But as goes for the techniques,,,I think it was more Kung Fu, for you Aikido guys Ill call the arm lock and take down "Aikido" lol

"When you cease to strive to understand, then you will know without understanding." -- Caine
Old 09-23-2005, 02:25 AM   #46
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom

'Wow! There are some funny stories on here.'

True dat...