Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-24-2007, 05:04 AM   #26
Angela Dunn
Dojo: Hartlepool/Peterlee/Billingham
England
Re: Ukemi worried

Quote:
Erik Jögimar wrote: View Post
That's good

I bet you got that horrid cracking sound too
Not really , well not anymore, I guess I am getting better at rolling somewhat correctly!
Old 10-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #27
Jane

Keep your body in the shape of a ball by looking at your center; it'll help.
Remember that ushiro ukemi and mae ukemi are symetrical; hand position, leg position, triangular stance... I started with ushiro and this, along with visualizing myself doing ukemi, helped a lot!
Never give up, even if you hear badump-badump-badump! In my case, it took me 1 year to do 1 mae-ukemi and it still is not correct.
Oh, and as Sensei always says: "Steal the sempai's technique!"
Watch the more experienced sempais and take advice from them.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:33 PM   #28
Erik Jögimar
Dojo: Linköping Budo club
Sweden

Quote:
Rejane Dalce wrote: View Post
Keep your body in the shape of a ball by looking at your center; it'll help.
Remember that ushiro ukemi and mae ukemi are symetrical; hand position, leg position, triangular stance... I started with ushiro and this, along with visualizing myself doing ukemi, helped a lot!
Never give up, even if you hear badump-badump-badump! In my case, it took me 1 year to do 1 mae-ukemi and it still is not correct.
Oh, and as Sensei always says: "Steal the sempai's technique!"
Watch the more experienced sempais and take advice from them.
I'm still ungraded (Iwama) so it might be why, but i've heard of this triangle thing on and off in aikido circiuts, but never really learned much about it yet. what i learned from Mae ukemi is to stand in hanmi and roll, at least to help roll in a straight line. I think we've been chasing our sempais enough with our less-then-straight-rolls

Ushiro ukemi i always do by folding one leg, from standing, under my arse and roll backwards, holding one arm in a wheel-ish form by the other should as if rolling forward.

If i'm blind about the triangle thing, my apologies. could you explain a bit what the triangle thing is?

//Erik

Just give me your wrist!
Old 11-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #29
Jamie_Macc
Dojo: Macclesfield/Genbukan
United Kingdom

[quote=David Skaggs;188363]Think round. Image yourself as a round ball rolling along the floor.

Yes, i totally agree aikido is all about circles.
You'll get the hang of it.
Where abouts in the UK are you?

Jamie

To injure an opponent is to injure yourself. To control aggression without inflicting injury is Aikido.

- Morihei Ueshiba
Old 11-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #30
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Hanmi is a triangular stance And your dojo is btw affiliated to Aikikai.

Quote:
I'm still ungraded (Iwama) so it might be why, but i've heard of this triangle thing on and off in aikido circiuts, but never really learned much about it yet. If i'm blind about the triangle thing, my apologies. could you explain a bit what the triangle thing is?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #31
Erik Jögimar
Sweden

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
Hanmi is a triangular stance And your dojo is btw affiliated to Aikikai.
Actually we're both Iwama and Aikikai. Iwama ryu aikido
merged with Aikikai. there's something in the document section of Aikido section of LBK's website on this.

Just give me your wrist!
Old 11-12-2007, 07:40 AM   #32
edshockley
Dojo: Aiklikai of Philadelphia

I think we are wise to be fearful of ukemi. I have seen yudansha take bad falls and on ocassion injure themselves. (Kaiken nage seems especially dangerous.) Technical advise is best received from someone in your dojo observing your habits but injury is less likely in all cases when one uses the opening meditation to focus entirely on the task at hand. Things like taking inventory of ones body (what are is tight today), noticing peculiarites about the practice area (has a mat separated in the left corner), assessing the training partners (here's the new guy who is cross training for ultimate fighting) etc. Take each throw as if it is the only one and you are likely to "escape" successfully.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #33
charyuop
Dojo: Ponca Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Owie! I did that misstake when i did my first backroll. I got head stuck between mat and shoulders. I tried rolling straight backwards instead of over the shoulder. Damn that hurt.
I have never had that accident, but I had my share of Ukemi accidents. Once Sensei got me so worn out (oops...doesn't sound that good the way I put it sorry) that at one of the very last front rolls I lost all my form and pancaked on my shoulder with the body folding onto it (and I weight 230 Lb.). Result, bruised ribs that hurt for several weeks.
As backrol I can remember only one incident. I don't recall the technique, but I was falling backwards with Sensei behind me pulling me down. I took Ukemi and my head went streight onto his knee. That made me realize that I actually can't control yet Ukemi, but I fall as a programmed robot...same place same procedure. In fact the usual Ukemi didn't work in that case and my head bent forward more than it usually does...big pain.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:43 AM   #34
Erik Jögimar
Sweden

Quote:
Ed Shockley wrote: View Post
I think we are wise to be fearful of ukemi. I have seen yudansha take bad falls and on ocassion injure themselves. (Kaiken nage seems especially dangerous.) Technical advise is best received from someone in your dojo observing your habits but injury is less likely in all cases when one uses the opening meditation to focus entirely on the task at hand. Things like taking inventory of ones body (what are is tight today), noticing peculiarites about the practice area (has a mat separated in the left corner), assessing the training partners (here's the new guy who is cross training for ultimate fighting) etc. Take each throw as if it is the only one and you are likely to "escape" successfully.
Yeah kaitenage is a funny one, for me. Last week we practiced it, and nage did it perfectly save for getting a very ackwardly tight angly. It made rolling difficult, and ended up rolling on one side of my body instead of diagonaly over arm then back. A really good warmup is a lifesaver. Didnt think that much of it at first, but now i really appreciate the warmup drills.

Just give me your wrist!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:18 AM   #35
Mato-san
Iceland

know your limits...let nage know your limits and if you are keen give nage the go ahead to push your limits... Aikido is give and take..... and most important co-operation.... Ukemi is a wonderful thing and for me the most important part of my training. I will take huge, hard ukemi, especially for newcomers just to welcome them.

But don`t take ukemi lightly...
pun intended!

Ukemi will take longer to learn than the techniques, don`t rush it.
Kiyotsukete!

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!