Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-28-2005, 11:45 AM   #326
David Humm
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido Frauds

Chichi Oushi Sandlin

Doesn't that sound like a Brazillian Transvestite Showgirl/man?

Dave
Old 01-28-2005, 12:49 PM   #327
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Hi John,

I was just discussing this with my wife, who is native Japanese. Apart from the fact that these type of things (people giving themselves titles, especially incorrect titles) drives her to despair We'd both come to the same conclusion on chichi, although it is also a slang word for nipple, hence my first post on him i.e. he's a "t!t". I also came to the conclusion that he was using Oushi as a name rather than a title, perhaps due to his size he is referring to himself as "bull", hence the title father bull. I don't really know, I don't really care, although I did uncharacteristically waste some time digging into it . The only consolation was the laughter it gave me .

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 01-28-2005, 01:54 PM   #328
spinecracker

United_States

I had a good look at the website of the gentleman currently being discussed, and I wonder how you can get a dan grade (Japanese term) in Tai-Chi-Chuan (a Chinese style). Please enlighten me on this subject?

I am not a mean man at heart, so I have no wish to mock this person (indeed, it would go against my Christian beliefs and the loving spirit of aikido), but I can't help but picture in my mind this guy, as a stuntman on Knight Rider (see the website) getting beaten up by David Haselhoff - I would be rolling on the floor in hysterics if I wasn't weeping.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:14 PM   #329
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States

E-Budo has a "Baffling Budo" Forum for cases like this one.

Sometimes such pages are made by aesthetically challenged folks with real skills.

Sometimes an entry in "Baffling Budo" can move to the "Bad Budo" section.

But the duck test is enough for me, and if it quacks like a duck, there's no need to inquire further.

Best,

Fred Little
Old 01-28-2005, 04:05 PM   #330
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
Chichi in Spanish-doesn't that mean breasts. So he's the family inheritor of the art of breasts? Hmmm.Or would that be better interpreted as the head boob?
Nope.

Chichi is located "south the hara".
Old 01-28-2005, 06:00 PM   #331
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

There was a bit on a Japanese comedy show a few years back where a young woman with ample bosum would go up to guys in a park and ask, "Would you massage my chichi?" They`d say yes and she`d leave, bringing back an old man. They then would have to massage her "father."

Prof. Goldsbury,

Thank you for the information.

Charles
Old 01-28-2005, 09:01 PM   #332
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

The site above is a good example of the certificate madness that originates in some of these organizations. The amount of paper generated between dad and son would just about build a house. It's interesting to note that the son created the jiu jitsu alliance which recognizes the dad and awards him a bunch of his certificates. I guess they want to keep it in the family. Then there's the master's degree in reality defense awareness or something like that.

Now to be perfectly honest, some of the videos weren't half bad-decent breaking stuff. Although the take downs could use less of the bouncing-looks like bing bing richochet rabbit. I don't know if they were trying to imitate Ali or what. I did find it funny in the one take down demonstrated the uke (master) told the attacker when to kick.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:04 PM   #333
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Chichi means father (amongst other things) ; Oushi - could that be O-ushi = honourable cow

Old 01-29-2005, 07:06 AM   #334
aikidoc
United_States

I redid the lineage chart on my site more along organizational lines to see if that works better. It seems to make more sense and shows the two major branches I studied under and the spin offs in the Ki Society branch.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:16 PM   #335
aikidoc
United_States

The 6th dan in aikido on the site mentioned above is interesting. He was awarded it by UMAA Founder who held two 5th dans in aikido (combat aikido and this sites style: http://www.ndcma.com/SokeJorgeLuisGarcia-Ortiz.html). Another one added to my list.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:16 AM   #336
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Check this out. Over on Ebay you can get a VIDEO SERIES in Combat Aikijujutsu that comes with a black belt certificate

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-31-2005, 06:26 AM   #337
wendyrowe
Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
Check this out. Over on Ebay you can get a VIDEO SERIES in Combat Aikijujutsu that comes with a black belt certificate

Bronson
Sounds great!! I'll hang it next to my Brain Surgeon certificate as soon as I finish watching "Combat Brain Surgery."
Old 01-31-2005, 06:36 AM   #338
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:

Bronson
And all for only $25! An absolute bargain. And someone's already bid for it

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 01-31-2005, 12:30 PM   #339
aikidoc
United_States

Hopefully, this thread has raised the issue enough that we won't see mail order aikido shodans. You still have to wait until you are 10th degree sokes for that . What is scary is they probaby think they are qualified to teach once they complete the mail order course.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:44 PM   #340
akiy

Hi folks,

Since I'm ringing the bells on the AikiWiki, I thought I'd suggest we could add this sort of thing in the styles and organizations section of the AikiWiki?

http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/styles/home

Although I would rather not have a list of "Fraudulent Aikido Organizations" or "Fraudulent Aikido Instructors," I think having a document there (like the one John is trying to write up) that may help people choose a respectable aikido dojo would be a nice addition there.

Also, it looks like we've started naming specific individuals and organizations in this thread. Too bad, I think, as this thread has seemingly drifted from talking about the ideas to talking about specific instances...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-31-2005, 01:09 PM   #341
aikidoc
United_States

Sorry Jun. It has been remarkably controlled but it's sometimes hard not to slip. Back on topic please. I will post what I have written up on your wiki.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:04 PM   #342
aikidoc
United_States

OK. I tried putting up a section in the Styles and nothing comes out. Is there a secret to this. I'm not a computer wiz-I type ok but that's about it.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:16 PM   #343
akiy

Hi John,

Let me move the discussion regarding adding this into the AikiWiki to the AikiWiki discussion thread. Please jump over there for my reply...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-31-2005, 03:43 PM   #344
aikidoc
United_States

I posted something there so lets see if it works ok.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:10 PM   #345
aikidoc
United_States

One thing I'm noticing with some of the sites I am documenting is that some of the people developing their own styles of aikido have an aiki-jitsu or hapkido background. Just for the record, even though the kanji for hapkido is apparently the same, it does not qualify you to make up a style of aikido. Geez. These people are pathetic. I didn't mean to revive this but I was just surfing some of my "potential" fraud list and run across one of these. The guy goes from master status in Hapkido and now suddenly he's a grandmaster 10th dan in aikido. I guess it sells better.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:17 PM   #346
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
...The guy goes from master status in Hapkido and now suddenly he's a grandmaster 10th dan in aikido. I guess it sells better.
As I've noted the title Grandmaster originally came from chess.
Quote:
Nicholas II, the Tsar of Russia, organized the 1914 tournament in St. Petersburg. He invited all the greatest players in the world. The top five players were given the title Grandmaster.
I guess that means he is not only good at aikido, but also an accomplished chess master.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 08-12-2005, 06:32 AM   #347
Paul Smith

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
Oh my.

I was just browsing a bit more on the word oushi, I found Chichi Oushi Sandlin's website. A very intersting number of photographs. I'm not sure which one I like best, the lilac dogi or the camouflage dogi?

http://usjiujitsu.org/sandlinryu_gallery.html

The only reason I've come back into this is I just did a search for him on e-budo, found this. The tears of mirth are still flowing and my tummy hurts from laughing so much (I swear that is one of the Hanson brothers )

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...hlight=sandlin

Laughing my @$*! off

Bryan
Oh, my. I note the man is the soke of his family-ryu Ketsugo, 10th dan as well:

sandlin bio

When I was a lad, I studied ketsugo, "Har Bro Dojo Ketsugo School of Self Defense. As far as I know this is the only other time in my life I have seen the word. It is an amalgamation of, oh, I don't know. When I was a kid I thought it was the best. I especially liked "O'Sensei" Harold Brosius's use of hypnosis to cause people to be stiff as a board between two chairs, or breaking a board on his head before delighted audiences.

I am grateful to "O'Sensei" Brosius for introducing me to the "arts" some 30+ years ago. But I have had a bad taste in my mouth the rest of my life for our propensity in America for all things in "tastes" and "bits." I think that is what led me to a humble center in Chicago, walking by one day, peering in, to see a severe, and laughing Japanese instructor - Toyoda Sensei, and I knew tradition, and home, was here.

Paul

Paul Smith
Old 08-13-2005, 06:57 AM   #348
Roy
Canada

That Sandlin dude might very well have the highest MA credentials in the universe Love the 70s-80s pics
Old 08-13-2005, 07:05 AM   #349
crbateman

Quote:
Paul Smith wrote:
I think that is what led me to a humble center in Chicago, walking by one day, peering in, to see a severe, and laughing Japanese instructor - Toyoda Sensei, and I knew tradition, and home, was here.
Paul, Toyoda Sensei was one of the most jovial and animated instructors around. You were lucky to have had the opportunity to train with him. He went out WAY before his time...
Old 08-13-2005, 10:39 AM   #350
aikidoc
United_States

Good Grief. 6th dan Aikido United Martial Arts Alliance. Now there's a major Aikido organization. Low thyroid I presume.