Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-22-2004, 07:25 PM   #1
Jeremy Gelman
Dojo: Yoyogi Uehara (Iwama ryu style)
Aikido against very high kicking (like in tae kwon do)

Have any of you trained intensively against high kicks? Whado you do in terms of aikido if someone skilled is kicking at your head or neck? Like those guys in tae kwon do....

I've never been taught how to do aikido against high kicks so do any of you have anything to say on this matter?

I do know that high kicking is supposed to be very impractical in most cases. Bruce Lee said that "A kick to the head is like a punch to the foot". Still, what if...

I've seen Steven Seagal do some aikido stuff against kicks but it isn't clear to me what to do!
Old 04-22-2004, 08:14 PM   #2
Erik
Re: Aikido against very high kicking (like in tae kwon do)

Rant to follow.

The politically correct answer is that they are impractical and we don't need to train against no 'steenkin' kicks. The second politically correct answer is that they are too dangerous and we'd rend our limbs from our bodies. There is also some weird cultural mojo that seems to come into play here with feet being less spiritually pure, seriously, than hands, or whatever.

Maybe that wasn't too politically correct?

The reality is that your experience is about normal and that people, for the most part*, aren't teaching it. When challenged on it they almost always fall back to my earlier comments but really they can't substantially back up their comments because even if they are accurate there's no tested substance. It's just a hollow repeating of the mantra.

Just to simulate the problem I know that Hans Goto did some work with another local MA teacher and they put together a program on kicking. They even got themselves written up in Aikido Journal and according to Hans Goto they didn't get any interest from the aikido world.

"Thud" is the sound of one foot kicking in the aikido world.

I don't know how many classes I've attended over the years but lets say 2,000 for this rant and if I said 10 of them had anything, and I mean even 15 minutes, to do with kicking I'd be exaggerating. Has anyone even demonstrated against a kick in the Aiki-Expo? Even once?

I suppose if it doesn't bother anyone else then it shouldn't bother me.

Here endeth the rant.

Jeremy, I can offer you some answers but now I'm much too depressed.

* I know some of you practice kicks and some styles actually even have it included in the curriculum but honestly everyone here knows of what I speak.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:20 PM   #3
MitchMZ
Dojo: Prairie-Aikikai
United_States

If you blend with the attack just like an arm(yokomenuchi, tsuki, etc.) and turn your center accordingly I'm sure you could very easily throw someone from their leg, especially if its up high. Not to mention many locks also work against the foot/ankle area. Really, I don't see how its so different from an arm. More powerful yes...but I think hands are also quicker. Aikido also does a very good job of teaching people to postion themselves so they arent all that susceptible to kicks in the first place.

Last edited by MitchMZ : 04-22-2004 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:30 PM   #4
shihonage
United_States

Spar with someone and come to your own conclusions.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:59 PM   #5
Benjie Lu
Dojo: Don Galo, Parañaque

In our dojo, we practice extensively against mae giri or kicking attacks, high kicks, low kicks and all other kicks in between.

In my experience, high kicks are generally less effective than say a low thigh kick. Again, we emphasize ma-ai and irimi when dealing with kicks. I think it is good practice for aikidoka to learn how to defend against kicks because other martial artists who are very skilled in kicks can cause serious injury from the force of their kicks and their sheer speed when delivered by a skilled MA makes them very difficult to anticipate.

We had a visiting yudansha once and he was kind of shocked when during randori he was attacked by multiple kicks by one of our resident TKD expert. Needless to say, the speed and execution of the kicks left him with little options except to try to parry the kicks which is inherently dangerous because of the power and weight behind the kicks.

IMHO, there is a serious dearth of practice/techniques against kicks in aikido and I feel that this is a serious gap in aikido repertoire. Again, this is is just my opinion.

Benjie Lu
Manila, Philippines
Old 04-22-2004, 09:16 PM   #6
aikiSteve
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk
United_States

How do you take falls as an uke when kicking? i find myself sort of hopping up to flip my foot over. Is there a better way?

Steve
Old 04-22-2004, 10:25 PM   #7
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Most times when we train against kicks in our dojo it's against mae geri (front kick). When I do demos I throw in a few responses to roundhouse, spinning back hook, side kick etc. as long as I have one of my TKD or Karate students.

In my experience, Sen timing and strong entering techniques (irimi nage and other atemi waza) tend to handle the majority of kicks pretty easily. I personally view combos (as done in TKD) as a string of single attacks, the key is to enter on the first and eliminate the possibility of the follow ups, otherwise, timing and ma ai control is critical to utilise the gap between combo kicks to create an opportunity for technique.

Generally we do not train against high kicks very often, merely because most folks are not able to execute the high kicks well and with control and more importantly, the higher the kick the higher and harder the ukemi as the body is supported by only one foot and is VERY easy to throw. In a class of relative beginners this may compromise the safety factor. In my experience everyone who has received a medium force Aikido technique from a high kick has had at least a minor whiplash effect on their neck (from the sheer shock with the ground) after ushiro ukemi, and this is from folks who have pretty solid ukemi experience. It is becoming a more regular element of our practice though as people's kicking skills are improved, and entering against a front kick (or chamber) is a part of the basics of every class during exercises like Gassho Uke, Seichusen no Bogyo and even Tai Sabaki practice.

Just my 2 cents.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 04-23-2004, 12:40 AM   #8
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Benjie Lu wrote:
In our dojo, we practice extensively against mae giri or kicking attacks, high kicks, low kicks and all other kicks in between.

In my experience, high kicks are generally less effective than say a low thigh kick. Again, we emphasize ma-ai and irimi when dealing with kicks. I think it is good practice for aikidoka to learn how to defend against kicks because other martial artists who are very skilled in kicks can cause serious injury from the force of their kicks and their sheer speed when delivered by a skilled MA makes them very difficult to anticipate.
Hi Jeremy,

I agree wholeheartly with Benjie that ma-ai (distancing) is the emphasis when kick attacks are concerned. Generally, skilled karate-ka and TKD exponents will only kick when the target is already within range which is logical since the success rate is higher than moving into range to kick as the target could be moving away or moving in to jam the kick.

Being the sole yudansha in karate in my class, I was always called upon to do attack my sensei with a maegiri. From where I was standing, I always knew that it was a waste of my effort - the distance was not right, I had to charge in to kick - thus telegraphed my intention which I have been trained not to so do. Times when he was within my kicking range, I would kick in an honest but controlled manner allowing him to move and execute his countering technique. I can honestly tell you that I could have easily brought him down with my kicks if I wanted to. I am sure that many of you guys who have been trained in competition fights will agree that the speed of the maegiri and reverse punch is not to be underestimated especially when the attacker is within the striking range.

I think my teacher was aware of this and he reminded the class that the techniques he did were for exercise only

David

Last edited by David Yap : 04-23-2004 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:09 AM   #9
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

We will ocassionally practise against kicks (high & low) but really have found very little difference between these and other forms of attack.

The main trick is not to worry about them being "different"
Old 04-23-2004, 06:30 AM   #10
Dunn
Dojo: West Virginia Aikido (Kushinkan dojo)

My first dojo taught techniques against kicking about 1 class per month. It was almost always against front-kicks, though the instructors would practice against some more advanced kicks.

Unfortunately, it is one of those areas where your ukes must be a little more athletic. If you are defending against a kick from someone who has never, and would never, throw one, then it kind of feels like defending against a leg sweep instead.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:02 AM   #11
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Watch your mai and take the other leg out. Or just dodge em and let them tire themselves out.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:05 AM   #12
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

If were talking doing aikido techniques, you can kotegaeshi and shiohonage a foot, as well as doing very obvious iriminages, sokumen iriminages. Mae geri and Mae Washi are on our first kyu and shodan syllabus I think.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:11 AM   #13
SeiserL

United_States

Watch the distance.

Get off the line. Slip the kick. Irimi or Sayu-undo.

Get off the line. Irimi tenkan behind. Pull down on shoulders.

Drop and roll into supporting leg.

Drop, grab the heel of supporting leg and apply sideway pressure to knee, sorta like Ikkyo to the leg.

Sample principles apply. Easier to take balance because only supported by one leg.

Train again kicks to get used to seeing the angle and it become pretty easy.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 04-23-2004, 08:27 AM   #14
JMCavazos
Dojo: Aikido Center of South Texas
United_States

In terms of how to deal with any kick, is the same as anything else in aikido - control the uke's body. Don't worry so much about the kick, punch, weapon, etc.... as long as YOU can control HIS body. Most of posts here talk about entering to control the uke's body. It seems like excellent advice to me!
Old 04-23-2004, 10:15 AM   #15
mantis

A kick has a limited effective range. This means that it only has power in a small focused area at the end of it's arc.

Kicking something is like hitting a golf ball. It's real easy to hit a golf ball if it's on a tee, but if you put the ball on the back of a mouse and then try to hit it, it becomes increasingly difficult if not impossible. (just an analogy)

So maai is a given, then movement comes next. It's hard to change the arc of a kick once it's launched.
That being said, a good kicker will set you up so you will move into where he wants you.

Kickers have to plant their foot to deliver energy. This leaves them vulnerable to an attack.
Kickers have a limited effective range, so it is possible to jam their techniques, or move off the line of attack.
Most of the time a kickers nose will be over his knee when he kicks. try this out yourself and see.
This lets you know where his balance leg is. You can use this to your advantage. In most cases, the head movement to set up a kick is a good give away that an attack is coming. If his head moves to your right, then the kick will come from the left etc.

I hear all the time from TKD karate etc. players that a heel kick is so powerful, but in my experience, I've never had one be able to land it at all. A strong front thrust kick (not a hopping TKD competition style kick) is one of the hardest to defend against. It has power, and is good to get distance with and because it's straight on, it's harder to be telegraphed as opposed to a round house kick. A spinning back kick is also a good kick. A kicker can throw a hook punch but really is using it to distract you and set up the spinning back kick. (they are extremely fast).

Like any good art, you have to set your opponent up to knock him down. Kicking arts do the same thing, but by exploiting their weaknesses and sticking with aikido principles of maai, movement and blending that you learn will negate the power and effectiveness of their kicks.

Last edited by mantis : 04-23-2004 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:06 AM   #16
Jordan Steele

High kicks are generally easy to see, but pack a tonne of power. Best chance is to avoid them until there is an opportunity to penetrate. On the other hand, if you're able to get inside the power zone of a kick before it knocks you out cold, shoving a person trying to kick high will send them into another zip code and leave you standing there with a smug grin on your face.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:28 AM   #17
GLWeeks
Dojo: Aikido Society of Memphis
United_States

We went over some kick defenses towards the end of class just the other day. My conclusion is this, real pain is Kotegaeshi applied to the foot... Ye-ouch!
Old 04-23-2004, 11:06 PM   #18
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
GLWeeks wrote:
We went over some kick defenses towards the end of class just the other day. My conclusion is this, real pain is Kotegaeshi applied to the foot... Ye-ouch!
GLWeeks,

Agree with you on this. I like to caution you that this technique should be done with care to avoid serious injury to the Uke.

A long time ago. I had a friendly (at least I thought it was going to be friendly) sparring session with a TKD black belt. During the match, he thrown a side kick which I managed to trap between my left elbow and my right hand. He was hopping on one foot trying to keep his balance. As far I was concerned the match was over and was about to release his foot when I saw his right fist coming in an arc towards my face. I had got both my arms on his leg and there was not enough time to meet the strike with my right arm. By instinct, I turned his foot (still caught between my elbow) downwards. I believe that the direction of the foot turning coupled with the counter direction of his swinging right arm and hips must had torn some ligaments in his knee. He was out of physical action for six months. I felt awefully bad for his injury.

The Uke must really blend with you on this technique to avoid serious injury to the knees.

That's my free advice.

Regards

David

Last edited by David Yap : 04-23-2004 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:01 AM   #19
JessePasley
Dojo: none at the moment
China

While finding a good muay thai player or some other good kicker to spar with would be the easiest answer, I would suggest finding somebody versed in competitive san shou, perhaps with a taijiquan or xingyi background (as those arts seem very similar to aikido). Chances are a good san shou guy would know how to deal with good high kicks in a way aikidoka could readily understand.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:36 AM   #20
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz

I trained in Capoeira for about four years, partly to answer this question for myself (and also, partly to dance! )

My answer? A kick is just a punch, with a longer reach. Most any Aikido-move can be used against legs, and feet.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:21 AM   #21
Doka

Evade - blend - throw their foot over their head!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2004, 11:25 PM   #22
arderljohn
Dojo: Manila Aikido Club
Philippines

Like any good art, you have to set your opponent up to knock him down. Kicking arts do the same thing, but by exploiting their weaknesses and sticking with aikido principles of maai, movement and blending that you learn will negate the power and effectiveness of their kicks.[/quote]

sorry i'm late for this thread...but it good to be late rather than doing nothing.

what else can i say?
this tread is really good. I'm second the motion. I really like your opinnion..keep up the good attitude.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:50 PM   #23
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

What about the old masters, has any one witness or saw in video, DVD of old masters handling kicks? Care to share?

Boon.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:43 PM   #24
Benjie Lu
Dojo: Don Galo, Parañaque

Quote:
Steve Nelson wrote:
How do you take falls as an uke when kicking? i find myself sort of hopping up to flip my foot over. Is there a better way?

Steve
We normally take backfalls and frontal falls from aikido techniques when the leg is trapped by nage during kicking practice.We would normally finish these types of techniques with a pin (i.e. leglock).

For the other times when nage applies a more orthodox technique versus a kicking attack (e.g. kotegaeshi, sankyo nage, etc.) we apply the ukemi that is appropriate.

Benjie Lu
Manila, Philippines
Old 07-23-2004, 06:45 AM   #25
M G

Hi Jeremy,
my sensei's anwser to similar questions was to treat kicks the same as an shomen uchi, yokomen uchi or tsuki attack for the block and unballanceing part. Then he's on the ground and you can do whatever you want (don't take time to think though).
Hope that helps for you.
Machiel.