Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #26
Adam Huss

United_States
Re: Tohei resignation letter

I can't get past the feeling this conversation isn't appropriate for public discussion and it is disrespectful toward Tohei Sensei to discuss his private correspondence.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #27
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Adam Huss wrote: View Post
I can't get past the feeling this conversation isn't appropriate for public discussion and it is disrespectful toward Tohei Sensei to discuss his private correspondence.
Yeah, I've been thinking about it myself.

When it happened, no doubt it was something private. But at some point things like this become "history". This was a defining moment in so many ways in the history of Aikido. So I really don't know. Has enough time passed yet to try to put this to rest? Is it time to allow it to be "read into the record"?

Still pondering it myself...

Old 05-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #28
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
It was hardly private - the letter in question was mailed out to hundreds (thousands?) of dojo worldwide.

Best,

Chris

Old 05-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #29
Adam Huss

United_States

Oh ok...I have no relationship with Tohei Sensei or Ki Society other than I trained under Toyoda Sensei's group...so that was just an outsider's perspective. I figured if it was public note it would be published somewhere....pay no nevermind to me!

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #30
Keith Larman
United_States

Yeah, I get the idea, but it still feels kinda intrusive since Tohei is still with us.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #31
Shannon Frye
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of VA / Chesapeake Va
United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Yeah, I get the idea, but it still feels kinda intrusive since Tohei is still with us.
If he' still with us, why not have someone ask him directly? Go to the source.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:05 AM   #32
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Hi,

Tohei Sensei sent what we call in in German an "open letter" (Don't know whether this word exists in English?) to the aikikai affiliated dojo all over the world and it was - as far as I know - addressed to the aikido-public: To the people doing aikikai-aikido. Up to then he was the main teacher of the aikikai.

This letter was definitely not a private one. - Neither was the answer of Abe Sensei. - It was meant by Tohei Sensei to be read by every student of aikikai aikido.

So why shouldn't it be published again after all those years?
Is it still impossible to look back without anger?
Maybe our look on those conflict here in Germany is more relaxed because we didn't suffer such a split of aikido as you did in the US? (Over here there is nearly no Ki-Aikido.)
But is this really more than a "historical issue" today?

Hm and:
It's not Tohei Sensei who doesn't show this letter to the public. It's the addressees. The aikikai dojo which have it in their records.

Carsten
Old 05-11-2010, 07:06 AM   #33
David Maidment
United Nations

Indeed; it was an open letter so the idea was that it could/should be discussed as we are attempting to do so here. It probably wasn't his intention that so much time should pass and it still be a point of interest because of the secrecy that has shrouded it, but that's the fault of others, not Tohei sensei or ourselves.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #34
Keith Larman
United_States

Okay, then, anyone have a copy they want to post? I've only heard it discussed but never seen the letter itself. I have a few folk I can ask myself.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #35
Adam Huss

United_States

I know this concept of an open letter..but its not something that is practiced too often in the USA....maybe a MEMO...but not exactly the same thing. I wonder if there is a Japanese name for this type of correspondence?

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #36
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
Hi,

Tohei Sensei sent what we call in in German an "open letter" (Don't know whether this word exists in English?) to the aikikai affiliated dojo all over the world and it was - as far as I know - addressed to the aikido-public: To the people doing aikikai-aikido. Up to then he was the main teacher of the aikikai.

This letter was definitely not a private one. - Neither was the answer of Abe Sensei. - It was meant by Tohei Sensei to be read by every student of aikikai aikido.

So why shouldn't it be published again after all those years?
Is it still impossible to look back without anger?
Maybe our look on those conflict here in Germany is more relaxed because we didn't suffer such a split of aikido as you did in the US? (Over here there is nearly no Ki-Aikido.)
But is this really more than a "historical issue" today?

Hm and:
It's not Tohei Sensei who doesn't show this letter to the public. It's the addressees. The aikikai dojo which have it in their records.

Carsten

Not only would I like to see the letter, but Abe Sensei's response as well.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:53 AM   #37
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
I know this concept of an open letter..but its not something that is practiced too often in the USA....maybe a MEMO...but not exactly the same thing. I wonder if there is a Japanese name for this type of correspondence?
On the contrary, I think that open letters are quite common in the US - you often seen them published in newspapers and other similar mediums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_letter

Best,

Chris

Old 05-12-2010, 03:13 AM   #38
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom

From the point of view of history, I think I'd be more interested in knowing what happened when Tohei Sensei spoke to Kisshomaru Ueshiba in person prior to sending that letter. Apparently there were a few others in the room at the time, one of whom was Koretoshi Maruyama Sensei. Perhaps if the opportunity ever presents itself I'll be able to ask him.

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr