Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-08-2003, 06:31 PM   #1
tedtaylor
footsteps of O Sensei

I'm off to the Kumano area next week for hiking and training. I am hoping to visit sites relevant to O Sensei's life. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Ted Taylor
Old 10-09-2003, 04:25 PM   #2
Fausto
Dojo: Bu Iku Kai Mexico
Hi!, well you could go to Tanabe, Hokkaido and Iwama, I don't know if these places are far from where you are going to go but those places where essential for the creation of aikido. Well of course, also Hombu Dojo in Tokyo!.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:59 PM   #3
Kensho Furuya
Dojo: Aikido Center of Los Angeles
Please check the internet or read up on the Kumano area of Japan before you go. There are many things to see and visit there. It is considered one of the very old and "spiritual" places in Japan and steeped in much tradition. Many important shrines and Nachi is one of the most sacred places in Japan and deeply revered from the most ancient times.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:17 PM   #4
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Dear Kensho-san

Ted lives in Japan and understands the internet I think the question is quite specific to the area and where Ueshiba M. went in that area. He asked the question on e-budo and basically got the same answers.

He was looking for information beyond the usual sources and I was quite interested in what the responses would deliver. Disappointed so far - no little known tidbits have come forth.

I really liked the Nachi Falls when I was there.

Fausto - I suggest you get a map of Japan. Hokkaido and even Iwama are far far to the North.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 10-09-2003, 06:25 PM   #5
Kensho Furuya
Sorry! If he lives in Japan, he should be able to get all kinds of information on Kumano. Any bookstore will have many tourist guides specific to the area. Nachi Falls and Kumano Jinja are what the area is known for and is generally what most people go there to see. If you read books on Japanese religion in very ancient times, you will find many references to the Kumano area and there might be a hint of something "unusual" there. The best thing is to take time and hike around on foot and discover for one's self.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:01 PM   #6
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
I agree - but there really is very little information about where Ueshiba M. went although it can be assumed that he probably did go to the more popular sites.

I remember my last visit to Kumano Jinja on the day they had brought up a huge frozen Tuna and you were supposed to press coins onto it. I could not help but wonder if this tradition only went as far back as freezing technology. Somehow a large rotting fish didn't seem appropriate to a Jinja.

By the way I enjoy your posts in the VOE section. My co-worker points out that your first name is very classical - not quite sure what he meant by that.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 10-09-2003, 07:20 PM   #7
Kensho Furuya
Thanks! Yes, nowadays, Japanese has come up with all kinds of odd activities to celebrate their festivals and one wonders how old or how traditional they really are. At my own temple, several years ago, they had a sports car show as a event for Obon. Can you imagine?

I have always had a personal calling for the priesthood since I was very small and didn't know anything about religion of Zen. I became interested in Zen very early on and, largely, due to the influence of Ohsawa Sensei and Sawaki Kodo Roshi, I pursued my studies for many years and was eventually ordained in 1988 into the Soto Zen Sect. I received the "ken" in my name from my Zen master, the late Bishop Kenko Yamashita Roshi and the "sho" comes from my own personal Japanese name. I don't know why your friend says that unless he is referring to an old saying in Japanese, "haja kensho" or "obliterate evil and prolifereate righteousness." My name means, by some odd coincidence, "to promote righteousness or correctness." Isn't life strange?? Many thanks!