Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
felipe_3
Dojo: Kynsei Ryu
Ecuador
5kyu test

Somebody know what take in the 5kyu test, I know the 7 tecniches but my sensei told me that mai kaiten and other exercices, is the truth??
Old 02-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States
Re: 5kyu test

Sorry this won't help much, but "it depends." It depends on the requirements of the organization your dojo belongs to (if any), and on your sensei. Talk to your sensei. Also, if you have been given any kind of Student Guide booklet for your school, your requirements might be in it.

You can get a general idea of what some 5th kyu tests are like by watching them on YouTube. Here's my test (please do not take it as a model of correct technique!).

Our requirements are:
5 Kyu Exam Content
Katate-dori: kokyunage or kokyuho
Kata-dori: nikkyo (omote & ura)
Munetsuki: kotegaeshi
Shomen-uchi: ikkyo (omote & ura), iriminage
Gyakute-dori: kokyuho or kokyunage, shihonage (omote & ura)
Jiyuwaza: grabs
Ukemi: receiving jiyuwaza
Bokken: 1st suburi
Jo: 1st suburi (choku-tsuki)

Here's another 5th kyu test by "lordosaya", which is lovely to watch. He is a model of composure and posture.

Here's the first in a series of "5th Kyu Test Requirements (USAF)" by Yamada Sensei of New York Aikikai.

But those will only be of very limited help, and may actually mislead you about what your school expects. Ask your teacher, and talk to the other students in your dojo. Those who have recently tested for 5th kyu might have the clearest memories of what the test included.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 02-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

You showed good posture and composure throughout. Nice work, Linda!

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 02-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Felipe Gomez wrote: View Post
Somebody know what take in the 5kyu test, I know the 7 tecniches but my sensei told me that mai kaiten and other exercices, is the truth??
If your sensei has told you to test, then you should be able to do whatever he/she asks you to do on the test. Don't worry about it.

If your sensei has not told you to test, then you don't have to test yet. Don't worry about it.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
felipe_3
Ecuador

what rank have u now linda?
Old 02-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
felipe_3
Ecuador

mmmm I just saw the video and somethings that stay in the video I believe that my sensei might take in the test for the example the roll, but ur test is in seiza
Old 02-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
tim evans
United_States

I know my test suburis 1,2,3 were required as well as forward rolls with and without slap ,sitfalls, and backward rolls this wore you out before you started the techniques.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
felipe_3
Ecuador

I`m worry because I can`t do the roll and the other, the techiches I can do it but the other no.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
dragonsun5

I am taking the test in about two weeks for 5kyu and my senpai said that I have to be able to do Katatedori Shihonage omote and ura, Shomen-uchi dai Ikkyou, Shomen-uchi irimi-nage, and suwari kokyu-ho and maybe something else that my sensei will have me do at the time but this is also according to the HOMBU Dojo grading system that the college club is going by.

I was doing some research last night and found the USAF has there own set of requirements for 6kyu and 5kyu and so on. Maybe you can look up and see if your dojo is affiliated with a bigger organization and see if they have the requirements online. Or ask your sensei too and other students like Linda said. I don't have the opportunity to talk to my sensei so my senpai tell me what I am expected to be able to do.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
felipe_3
Ecuador

oh thanks for ur help man. but I saw the tecniches, my sensei showed me in a paper, are 7 I know all it ura and omote but others exercies like the roll mai kaiten and other are a little hard for me.

And I don`t know if my dojo is add with the USAF, I don`t think so, because I live in Southamerica and USAF is in northamerica
Old 02-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #11
Linda Eskin

United_States

Thanks Michael.

Hi Felipe - I was just promoted to 5th kyu (6 Feb. 2010). In our dojo 5th kyu is the 2nd test you take. My first test was for 6th kyu (that video is on YouTube as well.

Work on those rolls and falls! Exam or not, the better you can do them, the safer, more comfortable, and more confident you will be. Start slowly, slowly, slowly, and only increase speed and height when they start to feel easy and relaxed.

Here's a really good, quiet introduction to mai kaiten ukemi (front rolls) by Donovan Waite Sensei, in case it's helpful. Also, of course, ask senior students at your dojo to help you learn. Having someone show you, and give you immediate feedback, is the best way.

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 02-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
felipe_3
Ecuador

thank you very much linda, I saw your test, you did very well your test and thanks for ur help, in my dojo the first test is 5to kyu, the bad is that I can practice sometimes, `cause in my dojo don`t assist much students and I can`t practice for my test
Old 02-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #13
Linda Eskin

United_States

Yeah. That's hard when you can't practice at the dojo. If you can learn to roll well enough to do *OK* at them, you can at least practice them on you own, maybe on soft grass, or a carpeted area. I did a lot of practicing in my living room. You might try wearing a heavy jacket at first - sort of like a mat, for padding. Start on your knees - don't go diving at the ground right from the beginning. Be patient, and work slowly. Your body will get the idea.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #14
felipe_3
Ecuador

yeah you know much about this, thanks, I just saw the video is a great help for me really thanks I`ll going to practice with the donovan sensei excercices, and when I get my 5to kyu I show you is a promise.

PD: excuse me for my bad english I don`t speak very well the english because my native language is the spanish
Old 02-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #15
Linda Eskin

United_States

I am sure your English is better than my Spanish! It's certainly much better than my Irish, French, or Japanese. It is easy to understand most of what you write.

I am looking forward to hearing about your 5th kyu test, when you take it!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #16
felipe_3
Ecuador

I don`t know we was practicing but in the last practice the students that going to do the test not assist and I can practice the techiches, I believe that I`m the single that know the techiches`s name....... I learn with videos in internet but my sensei told me that each sensei have a diferent style and I discovery that is the truth.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #17
Linda Eskin

United_States

Yes. Different teachers have different ways of doing techniques, and many times the same techniques will be called by different names in different organizations.

Use the videos on the Internet to form questions in your mind (not to find answers) about the techniques, and then see what your teacher really does when you watch in class.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #18
felipe_3
Ecuador

wow Today I could do a good mae kaiten but now I only have one problem T_T, you put your hands in the floor and put up your feets you have to down your body slowly with your hands , I donpt remembre de name
Old 02-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #19
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Are you talking about the ukemi? Forward roll or breakfall?
Old 02-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #20
felipe_3
Ecuador

ukemi I believe is it
Old 02-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #21
felipe_3
Ecuador

no is not the mae ukemi today when I come of my dojo I bring with you the name
Old 02-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #22
lbb
United_States

Better yet, don't ask us -- ask your sensei and sempai. They are the ones who can really answer your questions about your fifth kyu test.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:48 AM   #23
felipe_3
Ecuador

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Better yet, don't ask us -- ask your sensei and sempai. They are the ones who can really answer your questions about your fifth kyu test.
yes I no it, but I wanted share my questions with you