Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #1
ChS_23
Germany
Question rolled-up sleeves

One of my former sensei taught us that rolled-up sleeves had the same meaning as putting the right side of your uwagi over the left side.
...so don't do it...

I have the feeling that he was right. Not necessary by "the meaning" but that rolled-up sleeves would rarely be a good idea.

As this is a question of etiquette, I would like to ask you to just answer the following questions:

1) Do you know any picture or video of O-Sensei wearing rolled-up sleeves?

2) Do you know any written down rules which deal with the question of rolled-up sleeves? (especially books...)
Old 01-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
MikeLogan

United_States
Re: rolled-up sleeves

Ask the sensei in question for a primary document stating such.

Just kidding, really, but on a serious note it is common to roll up the sleeve on the side of the body where an individual is dealing with injury, recovering, or taking it easy, etc, etc.

Rolling up both sleeves seems more to the point that your dogi sleeves are too long. There are so many styles and preferences in dogi that the length and fold of the sleeves can't matter much.

If anything shorter sleeves (ie folded) makes better martial sense (and it seems very much lately that martial sensibility goes a long way in directing etiquette), because your garment is that much less to be used against you.

The directionality of where one folds the front of a gi in death is (in the martial sense) relevant to the fact that the use of the right hand in all things, not only sword technique, dominated the culture and daily life. And should you need something you kept in your garment, why fold it away from your dominant side?

Nonetheless I will inspect pulses on all those I meet with both sleeves rolled up.

michael " you've got red on you. " logan

If way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst.

- Thomas Hardy
Old 01-06-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
SeiserL

United_States

I often roll both sleeves up.
I do that on my regular street shirts too.
Never been told not to.
Never thought much about it.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

I roll mine up because I hate having long sleeves. Not just in the dojo! My sensei usually rolls both of his up too. I don't think it has anything to do with etiquette, just a personal preference. My sensei HAS unrolled my sleeves, though, when he is demonstrating a technique that uses uke's sleeve (so he doesn't grab onto my forearm or elbow skin, ouch).

And some people do roll up the sleeve on the side where they have an arm/shoulder/elbow injury.

I don't think it really matters, etiquette-wise.

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 01-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
ChS_23
Germany

If your arms are too short for your sleeves you should use needle and thread on them... ähm... the uwagi :-) (or buy a proper fitting keiko-gi)
If you want to assure that your garment is not used against you, I would question why you allow an eri-tori or mune-tori...
If you just want to look cool, I would mention that the tatami is no cat-walk.

But marking an injure with rolled-up sleeves convinced me...
Old 01-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
Janet Rosen

I've been a member of a few dojos over the years and only in 1 was I very sternly admonished that it was very rude and not done.

I hate long sleeves unless it is really really cold; I work w/ my hands a lot and don't like feeling restricted, so am much happier as a member of dojos that don't care about such silliness.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-06-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

I don't like rolled up sleeves. If mine were too long I'd just cut the sleeves. That being said, in traditional arts they roll 'em up when doing swordwork ...

Old 01-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
Josh Reyer

Japan

In both the aikido dojo and the classical swordsmanship dojo I've been to here in Japan, rolling up sleeves was a common way of staying cool in the very humid summer. Also when sweating heavily, the sleeves can sometimes stick to the forearms, restricting movement.

I think it varies from dojo to dojo -- in some it's considered bad form, in others it's acceptable. It's pretty much the same in the Japanese workplace.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 01-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Christian Schnarr wrote: View Post
One of my former sensei taught us that rolled-up sleeves had the same meaning as putting the right side of your uwagi over the left side.
...so don't do it...

I have the feeling that he was right. Not necessary by "the meaning" but that rolled-up sleeves would rarely be a good idea.

As this is a question of etiquette, I would like to ask you to just answer the following questions:

1) Do you know any picture or video of O-Sensei wearing rolled-up sleeves?

2) Do you know any written down rules which deal with the question of rolled-up sleeves? (especially books...)
When I went to ju-jitsu they said they knew immediately that I was an Aikidoka because I rolled my sleeves up.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
Ketsan
United Kingdom

Wasn't it normal back in the say to tie your sleeves up out of the way before a fight?

I always roll my sleeves up, but then even rolled down they only come to a little below my elbow. It's pretty common in our dojo to roll your sleeves up. In fact on courses you can pick out the members of my dojo by their rolled up sleeves.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #11
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote: View Post
Wasn't it normal back in the say to tie your sleeves up out of the way before a fight?
Different kind of sleeves.

Where I train it's quite uncommon to roll up sleeves, but I don't think I've ever heard it pointed out as a faux pas. The "I'm injured" symbol, btw, is a bit of red tape.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #12
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
The "I'm injured" symbol, btw, is a bit of red tape.
I'm thinking about dyeing my gi red.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:39 PM   #13
crbateman

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
I'm thinking about dyeing my gi red.
I just let the blood take care of that for me...
Old 01-07-2008, 12:56 AM   #14
roadster
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Barbara
United_States

I see other students do it all the time. I have never done it though because I prefer long sleeves. In fact, I usually only seen it done with the thinner GI, and not so much with the thicker Judo style Gi.

As for injury, I went to a Donavin Waite seminar with a kidney injury. Afterwards, I was told that rolling up sleeves was not the way to indicate injury, but a red cloth tucked into my dogi pants was. I have never seen that before and was taken back when a Sempai mentioned it was common practice.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:15 AM   #15
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
...so don't do it...

Not heard that one. When I train in Japan, my sensei often has his sleeves rolled up.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 01-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #16
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

At the first dojo I was with, I got so fed up with rolling my sleeves up for demo purposes from the instructor, I stitched the things up so they were above the elbow - this actually got me admonished publicly at a seminar with another group.

Needless to say I took the admonishment with my usual aplomb (honestly, I waited until I got home before sobbing my heart out) and just didn't bother with any more of their seminars.

Since then I've also met the "ironed gi brigade", the badges (god, the badges ), the perennial aikido favorites of how long is your hakama and "you tie yours like that?" never mind the even more mind-numbing "we only allow brand x dogi on the mat" so I look back on them almost as goddamn bleeding heart liberals these days.

I'm just consistently amazed at how anal people can be about clothing whose main function is to last through some hopefully rigorous exercise, be reasonably good at absorbing sweat (and the odd bit of blood) and doesn't make you become an exhibitionist during breakfalls. My only need regarding dogi is - is it clean?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #17
ChS_23
Germany
Arrow Re: rolled-up sleeves

Quote:
I think, you are speaking of a tasuki:
http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/sh...mi/tasuki.html
So Mary was right "different kind of sleeves"...

And to mention a third kind of sleeves: From the traditional point of view really long sleeves worn by women are really sexy
Old 01-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #18
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Quote:
Ian Hurst wrote: View Post
I'm just consistently amazed at how anal people can be about clothing whose main function is to last through some hopefully rigorous exercise, be reasonably good at absorbing sweat (and the odd bit of blood) and doesn't make you become an exhibitionist during breakfalls. My only need regarding dogi is - is it clean?
Word. At my current dojo, we have gradually shifted from budogi/kaku obi/hakama to judogi/judo obi to t-shirt and sweats/shorts. We all "clean up" well, but generally keep it pretty simple. If people spent as much energy researching their art and their training as they did consulting Mrs. Manners we'd be a lot better off.

That said, I must confess to having a thing about seeing gi pants peeking out from under the hakama and overly long hakama (below the ankle). Drives me nuts, but I don't consider it rude, I just think it looks crappy.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 01-07-2008, 08:46 AM   #19
DonMagee
United_States

I used to do it in aikido, but after getting reamed out in judo I have never done it again. Their reason was a simple "This may cause injury". A rolled up sleeve is easier to get a finger caught in during randori.

I now own gi's that fit me properly and I don't see the need to roll them up.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 01-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #20
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Since we do sode mochi waza in yoshinkan, I would think most people wouldn't roll up their sleeves. I also know that rolling dogi pants is frowned upon for safety reasons...the same might apply for sleeves, I'm not sure.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #21
Ketsan
United Kingdom

Quote:
I think, you are speaking of a tasuki:
http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/sh...mi/tasuki.html
So Mary was right "different kind of sleeves"...

And to mention a third kind of sleeves: From the traditional point of view really long sleeves worn by women are really sexy
Perhaps, but same idea..."I want don't want clothing getting in the way when I'm fighting"
Old 01-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #22
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

Quote:
A rolled up sleeve is easier to get a finger caught in during randori
Now this makes some sense, especially for judo, but generally we ensure people sort their kit prior to randori so that flapping clothing is at least minimised to start with.

However, if you're really worried about fingers catching in things during randori, I'd suggest that a loose cotton kit held together by an often ad-hoc tied belt and the odd unbroken tie which rarely survives even a couple of minutes in pristine condition is not the way to go. Then you look at aikido - for dangerous trailing things to catch in randori, I'd submit the hakama has proven itself the most dangerous thing known to both tori and uke but just try to pry the damn things off people...

Chris - two-tone rules, you're just too conservative... yes it does drive people nuts for some reason, so I find it quite an appealing look - respectful yet annoying, always a hard option to find.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:05 AM   #23
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Perhaps, but same idea..."I want don't want clothing getting in the way when I'm fighting"
it gets beyond humid over here in the non air conditioned/ventilated dojo and gyms. one guy wears a naginata top

http://www.e-bogu.com/Naginata_Gi_Si...natagi-all.htm

no rolls no sleeves
Old 01-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #24
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States

I do not know of a specific rule of ettiquette outlined anywhere that states whether one should or should not roll his gi sleeve.

Loose clothing is dangerous, including sleeve rolls. Ask anyone who has been caught on a hakama or a shirt sleeve. I prefer students to wear appropriately weighted gi hemmed just above their forearms. Not everyone does it, but it makes training safer so I promote it.

I once heard an instructor tell a poorly dressed student. "If you were going on a date, I bet you'd wear clean clothes that fit well. So why do you come to my class wearing a dirty gi that doesn't fit?"
Old 01-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #25
Walter Martindale
Canada

Before the 70's judogi sleeves and pant legs were shorter and snugger than today. In the mid-late 70's IJF required sleeves and pant legs to be longer and to have a certain amount of space between the sleeve and the human inside. This was done so that people COULD use the sleeve to grip. Prior to that rule, competitors were having their gi tailored to have sleeves and pant legs quite short so that nobody could take a secure grip on the sleeve. That many Aikido people use judo gi for training is the main reason that Aikido people feel a need to roll up sleeves.
Difference, generally, between Aikido and Judo is that in former the grip is usually on the limb, while in the latter the grip is usually on the garment.
When I was rolling up a sleeve for a sensei to grip at one point, he didn't admonish me or anything, he just unrolled it for me and gripped through the sleeve. He also stopped me from sliding a grip under his sleeve - in "situ" the grip will be outside your shirt sleeve and/or your jacket sleeve, unless the person is trained in judo or one of the other clothed grappling MAs to grip by your sleeve. Now I usually just grab the arm whether the sleeve is long or not.
W