Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-04-2001, 01:28 PM   #26
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Exclamation Tucked Hakama

Quote:
Originally posted by darin
...Have any of you seen the hakama been tucked in the sides? Is this allowed in your schools? Many people used to do it in my school including my teacher. This is where the outer sides of the hakama are tucked in the belt. Its like a hem.
I've seen a couple of instructors tuck in the hakama inside their belt. However that was so they could show the footwork of a particular technique. Otherwise the hakama hem would cover-up their footwork. Those are the only cases where I've seen this done.

Perhaps the funniest thing about the hakama is when you get up, usually from sitting seiza. You can step on the inside of the trouser-leg and trip over. Occasionally you might see this done at a really big demo. I think the higher ranked the person is the funnier the whole thing is or maybe it's just me.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 06-04-2001, 02:06 PM   #27
mj

I, as a white belt, was practising henka-waza with a 4rth dan (W.Timms) last year and stood on HIS hakama during it....dammit he nearly took my balance...

Old 06-09-2001, 02:10 PM   #28
Tony Peters
Dojo: Mt Tantalus, Kaimuki Judo club
A Hakama is just part of things

I realize that the limiting of who wore the Hak was a money/availablity thing originally but it has degenerated into a class (yudansha/mudansha) thing now. I started life in the MA in Aikido. No Hak for 4 years. then I wore one for two before giving up aikido for other arts. Of the three only the JJ that I study doesn't use the Hakama (at all) It might be Aikido's Gendai status that has brought about the gradual intro to the Hak. I don't by into the opinion that only those of a certain rank should wear it that way you know their experience either. My Jo class rank/experience is obvious no matter the uniform. Same is true in JJ though we all wear whitebelts (well mines sorta grey) My personal opinion is that the Hakama is a part of the Art and should be worn from the get go. But I hold no power so my opinion is just that...mine. An art as big as Aikido has become is going to have lots of politics (many parasites) and rules to keep everyone in line. While this isn't always a bad thing sometimes good things get lost in the crowd.

Peace
Tony
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow
That's what makes my Thumper go