Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-20-2004, 01:42 PM   #1
arif
what is your best movie related to the martial arts

I have watched many films related to the martial arts.Bruce lee, Jackie Chan... But the one which I think the best is "Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon" of Ang Lee. Whenever I watch the fighting scenes of the film, I think to myself that " oh yeah, that is the art itself".
And the one coming after this film could be "the Last Samurai" from Tom Crouse if it didn't make that silly American propagandism. And you? What is your best movie related to the martial arts?
Old 04-20-2004, 02:13 PM   #2
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: what is your best movie related to the martial arts

" The Seven Samuari"

I can't tell you who made this, but it's very authentic and made in Japan by famous japanese actors and martial artists. I'll also put it another way: It was made in black and white over 30 years ago, its in japanese with subtitles.... and it still retails for over $40 bucks. It's a CLASSIC!

Aside from that, I liked Kill Bill vol. 1

LOL!!!

Old 04-20-2004, 02:23 PM   #3
arif

the seven samurai , I've heard of it yet have not watched. as to kill bill , it was a disaster
Old 04-20-2004, 02:37 PM   #4
paw

"The Seven Samurai" was Akira Kurosawa.

I don't have one best film....there are several that I greatly enjoy.

In no particular order from China, HK or Japan:

"Hero" (2002)
"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"
"Drunken Master II" .... Jacky Chan
"Dragons Forever" .... Jacky Chan, Samo Hung, Yuen Biao
"Pedicab Driver" .... Samo Hung
"Fist of Legend" .... Jet Li
"Bodyguard from Beijing" ... Jet Li
"Wing Chung" ..... Michelle Yeoh
"The Seven Samurai"
"Yojimbo"
"Bride with White Hair"
"Ashes of Time"

.... better stop now.

Regards,

Paul
Old 04-20-2004, 03:02 PM   #5
mantis

Yojimbo is great. So is seven samurai.

I would have to say that any Samurai film by Kurosawa is great.
Star Wars was inspired by the Kurosawa film The Hidden Fortress.

The Zatoichi films are also some of my favorites.
The Baby Cart Assassin series was real good.
Shogun was a classic. It's out on DVD now. Recently, I liked The Last Samurai. I didn't get the feeling it was a propaganda film though.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:03 PM   #6
Ian Williams

I'm not sure how any serious martial artist can find the "john woo" wire fighting stuff enjoyable.. if I see another wire fight (ala CTHD, I'm going to spew)
Old 04-20-2004, 05:22 PM   #7
shihonage
United_States

Old 04-20-2004, 05:27 PM   #8
Doka

Quote:
John Boswell wrote:
" The Seven Samuari"

I can't tell you who made this, but it's very authentic and made in Japan by famous japanese actors and martial artists. I'll also put it another way: It was made in black and white over 30 years ago, its in japanese with subtitles.... and it still retails for over $40 bucks. It's a CLASSIC!
Hi John

Seven Samurai is creditted to Akira Kurosawa; written by Akira Kurosawa, Shinobu Hashimoto, and Hideo Oguni; directed by Akira Kurosawa; and Prudiced by Sojiro Motoki. The film was made 50 years ago, it's half century this year!!!

The lead was played by Toshiro Mifune. Incidentally, he is the subject of one of Steven Seagals wild claims:

Quote:
During this time, Seagal occasionally choreographed fight scenes in movies and coached such stars as Sean Connery and Toshiro Mifune.
LOL!
Old 04-20-2004, 05:34 PM   #9
Doka

Quote:
Ian Williams wrote:
I'm not sure how any serious martial artist can find the "john woo" wire fighting stuff enjoyable.. if I see another wire fight (ala CTHD, I'm going to spew)
See "The Belly Of The Beast" with Steven Seagal. Man, he has put on weight!!!

The whole thing is so bad it's funny, with the worst wire work!!! We laughed so hard all the way through, especially when he cuts an arrow in two with a katana.....length ways!!! The double for spin kicks is amusing too! He suddenly loses 30 lbs and the camera only shows from the shoulders down!!!

It is so bad it is worth watching!!!

Old 04-20-2004, 06:55 PM   #10
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States

Bloodsport
kickboxer (I love the "kick the tree" scene)
The One
Blind Fury
Red Shadow (funky japanese ninja flick. )
Gohatto
Old 04-20-2004, 06:56 PM   #11
gasman

Dojo: Sunyata

I'm a big Jackie Chan fan:
"snake in the eagles shadow"
"the young master"
"drunken master"

Older Hong Kong films often feature loooooong paired katas that are rarely found in the newer productions. One of my favourites is one called "Iron Monkey" which features 10 minute long duels with all kinds of fancy weapons, including the three section staff. Some of the sequences run uncut for several minutes. Imagine if they make one mistake, they must shoot the entire thing all over again!
(Not to be confused with the Jet Li remake, although I enjoy his films as well)
Old 04-20-2004, 07:08 PM   #12
Noel

Gotta go with Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" here. Although, having done iai, there is one sequence in the Lone Wolf series that is absolutely awesome in going from nothing to action to noto in less time than it takes to watch it.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:54 PM   #13
MitchMZ
Dojo: Prairie-Aikikai
United_States

I would have to say The Last Samurai and Seven Samurai spark my interests the most. In fact, The Last Samurai motivated to me to check out what Aikido and Ninjutsu were. What they are practicing in these films probably shouldnt be called Aikido...but Aikido is very close in its techniques. (Ah, those cool throws and locks.) As far as Kung Fu movies go; anything starring Bruce Lee is very hard to beat. This sounds strange but I also like the original Lethal Weapon a lot because of the Brazilian Jiu-jitsu scene near the end.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:38 PM   #14
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Any Kurasawa film is worth watching, with "Ran" right up on top. I still get a kick out of Seagal Sensei's suwari in "Hard to Kill", and plan to buy "Last Samurai" when it comes out on DVD. "Kill Bill Volume 2" is much better than the first edition - far less cartoonish and the stuntwork is far better.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 04-20-2004, 09:52 PM   #15
gscheel
United_States

quote: The lead was played by Toshiro Mifune. Incidentally, he is the subject of one of Steven Seagals wild claims:

quote: During this time, Seagal occasionally choreographed fight scenes in movies and coached such stars as Sean Connery and Toshiro Mifune.

Hi Mark:
I'd like to point out that this is not such a wild claim .... there was a movie a while back called The Challenge (also distributed as Sword of the Ninja) staring Scott Glen and Toshiro Mifune which Steven Seagal did indeed choreograph the fight scenes and served as technical advisor.

Gary
Old 04-21-2004, 12:29 AM   #16
Joezer M.

Akira Kurosawa's "The Seven Samurai"
Btw, can I list animes too? You know like Rurouni Kenshin, Naruto etc.?

Joezer
Old 04-21-2004, 12:54 AM   #17
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Kurosawa's Sanjuro, the sequel to Yojimbo, I enjoyed it more than the first. I have to admit that I did enjoy The Last Samurai, mainly because of Ken Watanabe, who steals the film totally, along with Hiroyuki Sanada, the one who gives Cruise a good beating with the bokken . Look out for "Twighlight Samurai" out now starring Sanada, I've heard a lot of good things about it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new version of Zatoichi starring Takeshi Kitano, just waiting for the DVD to come out.

"The Yakuza" starring Bob Mitchum and Ken Takakura is a good one too, but my favourite is probably the original Highlander.

Ask me next week and I'll probably give a completely different set of answers

Rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 04-21-2004, 01:14 AM   #18
Benjie Lu
Dojo: Don Galo, Parañaque

Quote:
gscheel wrote:
quote: The lead was played by Toshiro Mifune. Incidentally, he is the subject of one of Steven Seagals wild claims:

quote: During this time, Seagal occasionally choreographed fight scenes in movies and coached such stars as Sean Connery and Toshiro Mifune.

Hi Mark:
I'd like to point out that this is not such a wild claim .... there was a movie a while back called The Challenge (also distributed as Sword of the Ninja) staring Scott Glen and Toshiro Mifune which Steven Seagal did indeed choreograph the fight scenes and served as technical advisor.

Gary
Agreed, he did some fight choreography before he went to Hollywood. So it is not really a wild claim. Some are pretty wild but this one is true.

Benjie Lu
Manila, Philippines
Old 04-21-2004, 01:40 AM   #19
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Benjie Lu wrote:
Agreed, he did some fight choreography before he went to Hollywood. So it is not really a wild claim. Some are pretty wild but this one is true.
Yes, he did advise on the Challenge but Mifune's real sword instructor was Sugino sensei of the Katori Shinto Ryu. Sugino was the technical advisor for many of the Mifune films directed by Kurosawa, including the Seven Samurai.

My two favorites are: The Seven Samurai and Chushingura (the story if the 47 Ronin; the color version by Inagaki)

The Samurai Trilogy starring Mifune again (the story of Miyamoto Musashi) is also high on the list.

And never forget, Sword of Doom with Tetsuya Nakadai. Truly a cult film.

Am waiting for the upcoming remake of Zatoichi withTakeshi! The trailer shows great promise.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 04-21-2004, 01:47 AM   #20
batemanb

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
The Samurai Trilogy starring Mifune again (the story of Miyamoto Musashi) is also high on the list.
I can't believe that I missed that off of my list! Based on an excellent book too (Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa)

Last year NHK dramatised the book in some 40 or 50 episodes. I am currently enjoying them as I slowly wade through the pile of videos provided by my father in-law.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 04-21-2004, 02:55 AM   #21
justinm
United Kingdom

I always liked "Silent Flute" (also called Circle of Iron), with David Carradine. I believe it was partially written by Bruce Lee, but he died before he could play the role, so David Carradine stepped in. For someone that grew up with "Kung Fu" on TV, I think that was better casting anyway.

A story about the journey, not the destination.

I never hear anyone mention it but the rare occasions it appears on TV it always reminds me about why I started aikido.

Justin McCarthy
Old 04-21-2004, 05:21 AM   #22
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
Am waiting for the upcoming remake of Zatoichi withTakeshi!
How about the old Zatoichi films?! They get a double vote as they strongly influenced Bruce Lee.

Did anyone see Iron and Silk? As a movie, it was just ok, but it is very enjoyable for those studying the martial arts.

Charles Hill
Old 04-21-2004, 05:35 AM   #23
paw

Ian,

Quote:
I'm not sure how any serious martial artist can find the "john woo" wire fighting stuff enjoyable..
It's not a "John Woo" thing, it's an HK thing. Woo has made very few martial arts films, actually. He's best known for "A Better Tomorrow" (and sequels), "The Killer", "Hard Boiled" and "A Bullet in the Head".

Wire work and "bullet time" are here to stay. The impact of "The Matrix" on action films in general and fight choreography specifically is huge. It's hard to see a film that doesn't have them. Maybe there will be a return to more "real" choreography at some point in the future.

BTW, everyone who mentioned Zatoichi might be interested in checking out "The Duellists". The sword choreography is quite good and the story is top notch.

Joezer,
Quote:
Btw, can I list animes too?
Sure. But if you say "Ranma 1/2" you're in trouble!

Justin,

Carradine was fantastic in "Kill Bill vol. 2" I don't believe he's ever delivered a finer performance.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:20 AM   #24
batemanb

Quote:
paw wrote:
Ian,
BTW, everyone who mentioned Zatoichi might be interested in checking out "The Duellists". The sword choreography is quite good and the story is top notch..
One of my favourite films of all times. Keith Carradine and Harvey Keitel are just wonderful in this. As Paul says, good fights and a good story.

Quote:
paw wrote:
Carradine was fantastic in "Kill Bill vol. 2" I don't believe he's ever delivered a finer performance.
I actually like Carradine in most things, call me soft, but I' m partial to his character in "Kung Fu The Legend Continues". Haven't seen either of the Bill's yet, but hope to catch the first one this weekend.

Old 04-21-2004, 06:25 AM   #25
Chad Sloman

Dojo: Aikido of West Florida, Pensacola, FL
United_States

Got to agree with most everybody--Seven Samurai probably being my favorite, but The Hidden Fortress is definitely worth checking out for the yari duel alone. Recently, loved kill bill and the last samurai. Big fan of the zatoichi series and the lone wolf and cub series. I'm a big fan of historical epics though, Braveheart, Last of the Mohicans, and Rob Roy which has some pretty good sword dueling. I used to like Steven Seagal movies but they just keep getting crappier and crappier, getting nearly as bad as Van Damme movies. I just hope Hollywood keeps making big budget MA flicks like Crouching Tiger, Last Samurai and Kill Bill.

A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.