Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Zach Trent
Dojo: Integral Dojo
Israel
How many dojos are in Israel?

Hi guys! Sorry to ask so many Middle East questions, but I'm doing some research and I'm ignorant

In doing a dojo search I see there are 39 dojos in Israel, but I wonder if anyone with a handy Israeli Yellowpages could confirm that?

Now- 39 is nothing to sneeze at when you consider that Israel and Vermont (U.S.) are similar geographically in size, and VT only shows 9 dojos Though, Russia is only showing 37, which makes me think that maybe someone in the Motherland is not registering on this site.

Anywho, does anyone have a sense of whether 39 is right on the money? I wonder if anyone has ever done a per-capita Aikido dojo study...and what inferences might be made from said study...

Thanks all and thanks Jun for creating this awesome database! I will have to donate soon for this remarkable feature. I sure wish I could buy an AikiWeb hoody to say thanks too!

Peace everyone,

Zach
Old 08-14-2008, 01:07 AM   #2
Shany

Dojo: ISTA
Israel
Re: How many dojos are in Israel?

Hmmm I Don't know how many are there actually..
My Dojo has 6 branches that I know of in Israel

http://www.aikidoista.co.il/
Old 08-14-2008, 01:10 AM   #3
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Can you read & write Hebrew ? If you can I can give you a few links (the place to start is the tapuz M.A. forums: Traditional Martial Arts and Martial Arts.

You should also mention how do you count the Dojos:
- Do you count only Aikikai affiliated Dojos?
In the following list (http://www.tapuz.co.il/blog/viewEntr...EntryId=605838) I counted ~50 such dojos (I found at least two double entries - same teacher with two adjacent places or two teachers in the same place).
Unfortunatly, I am not sure the list is up to date, some dojos might not be active and other new ones might not be listed.

There is a group of Aikido Dojos affliated to ISTA in the following listhttp://www.aikidoista.co.il/61495/heb_dojos I counted 11 dojos. I believe Shany http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/member.php?u=13399 indicated she is training there.

I also know of a strong Yoshinkan group of Dojos. In here I found 4 dojos, I believe there should be at least a fifth.

I know of one Shodokan \ Tomiki Aikido Yundasha who recently returned to Israel from Japan. to the best of my knowledge, he did not open a dojo (yet?) .

I practice Korindo Aikido, currently we have 3 active dojos in Israel.

So, in 15 minutes of informed searching I found slightly less then 70 dojos. I believe a real serious search would have brought up at least another 5 if not 10-15 dojos, which are not affiliated to anyone and do not have strong internet representation.

I guess the data base in AikiWeb is still far from complete, I would be particularly careful of relaying on it when looking at non-English speaking countries.

Hope this helps
Amir
Old 08-14-2008, 01:30 AM   #4
Shany

Israel

amir, im a he not a she
Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 AM   #5
Amir Krause
Israel

Quote:
Shany Golan wrote: View Post
amir, im a he not a she
Oops, Sory
Old 08-14-2008, 06:50 AM   #6
Zach Trent
Dojo: Integral Dojo
Israel

Amir and Shany, thank you greatly for this information. I cannot read or write Hebrew, so there is no way I could have figured this out! Daniel R. sent me some info too- thanks!

This will be a great help for my research! Thank you all.

I have been doing some digging and I think it is fascinating that Israel, with a population of roughly 7 Million has (potentially, given what information I have) 20 to 25 more dojos that New Jersey, a U.S. state with a population of 9 million and of comparable size.

Not sure what to make of it....but I think it is cool info.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
Amir Krause
Israel

Zach

Be careful - all the info I gave you is only about Hebrew speaking Dojos.
I am not sure at all about Dojos run by Arab Israeli for Arabs ( and therefore published and run only in Arabic). I do not know if such Aikido Dojos exist ( I know in Karate there is more then one), and from my cursory check, none of the dojos I counted belongs in this category.

Same might be true for Jewish immigrants from Russia.

Amir

P.S.
I know of one Korindo Aikido Dojo in Russia, is it in your counts, or are you going to miss lots of Dojos there too?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
akiy

Hi folks,

If you know of any dojo which are not in the AikiWeb aikido dojo search engine, please submit them into the database. Doing so will help countless other aikido folks as well as those people who may be just getting interested in aikido.

The AikiWeb aikido dojo search engine is here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/search/

The submission form for the above is here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/search/submit.html

Thanks,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 08-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #9
Shany

Israel

Ah yes, there is also 3 more I know of,

1 dojo in Tel Aviv, by Miles Kessler, I met him, amazing person! his a direct student of morihiro saito! http://www.integralaikido.org/

two other aikido dojo are in Jerusalem / Rishon le zion, unfortunately i don't have their websites.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
Amir Krause
Israel

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
Hi folks,

If you know of any dojo which are not in the AikiWeb aikido dojo search engine, please submit them into the database. Doing so will help countless other aikido folks as well as those people who may be just getting interested in aikido.

The AikiWeb aikido dojo search engine is here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/search/

The submission form for the above is here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/search/submit.html

Thanks,

-- Jun
Hi Jun

Unfortunatly, I am not the sensei of any of the dojos I listed. Only a vetran member of one and friend of the sensei of another 2 (the Korindo Aikido Dojo's).

For almost all of the rest, I do not even know the teacher. I just found them listed in hebrew sites related to Martial Arts or hobbies.

Quote:
Shany Golan wrote: View Post
Ah yes, there is also 3 more I know of,

1 dojo in Tel Aviv, by Miles Kessler, I met him, amazing person! his a direct student of morihiro saito! http://www.integralaikido.org/

two other aikido dojo are in Jerusalem / Rishon le zion, unfortunately i don't have their websites.
Hi Shany,

Miles Kessler dojo is listed in the Aikikai dojo list (he has 2 entries in fact).
In Rishon le zion I know of about 4-5 dojos (including my Sensei's) and all of them were listed and counted for. In Jerusalem there were several dojos in the lists.

So it should not change the count.

Amir
Old 08-17-2008, 04:24 AM   #11
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

http://www.aikido.org.il/frame-1.htm

and another one

Aikido Yoshinkan Israel
1: Tel-aviv Dizingof center 2: Petach Tikva (kats 3t) Tel: 052-3-286128

KamiKaze
Old 08-18-2008, 01:55 AM   #12
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China

In the calculation, don't forget that a large part of Israel is desert and underpopulated both with people and dojos. I think its fair to say that unless you live in the middle of nowhere, in Israel you're never more than 30 mins drive from a dojo (unless you count Tel Aviv rush hour traffic).

(Then I had to move to China: a taxi, train, subway and 2.5 hours from the nearest) *sigh*

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 08-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #13
zivk

Dojo: Do-Gen-Do/Holon
Israel

First Zach, let me tell you how thrilled I was to visit the aikiweb site and find your question listed under the active forum threads. I was even more delighted to find out that an aikido practitioner from another country is the one interested. The local aikido community here in Israel is relatively small but quite active.
Now to the question discussed. Amir Krause counted most of the dojos in Israel, but thorough as Amir is, somehow he failed to mention the Seidokan affiliated dojos in Israel.
There are at least 5 such dojos:
2 in Jerusalem, 1 in Maa'le Ha-chamisha, 1 in Rishon Le-zion and 1 in Tel Aviv.
Some info regarding these dojos may be found in this link.

I hope all the information gathered here provides a suitable answer to your question. And... if by any chance you happen to visit Israel, you are more than welcome to visit the dojo I practice, in Holon, not far from Tel-Aviv.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:43 AM   #14
Amir Krause
Israel

Quote:
Ziv Klausner wrote: View Post
First Zach, let me tell you how thrilled I was to visit the aikiweb site and find your question listed under the active forum threads. I was even more delighted to find out that an aikido practitioner from another country is the one interested. The local aikido community here in Israel is relatively small but quite active.
Now to the question discussed. Amir Krause counted most of the dojos in Israel, but thorough as Amir is, somehow he failed to mention the Seidokan affiliated dojos in Israel.
There are at least 5 such dojos:
2 in Jerusalem, 1 in Maa'le Ha-chamisha, 1 in Rishon Le-zion and 1 in Tel Aviv.
Some info regarding these dojos may be found in this link.

I hope all the information gathered here provides a suitable answer to your question. And... if by any chance you happen to visit Israel, you are more than welcome to visit the dojo I practice, in Holon, not far from Tel-Aviv.
Oops, thought you were in the Aikikai list (and now found out I was wrong).

This brought me to think of the Ki-aikido association too, I seem to recall hearing they have one dojo in Israel around Aco, but I could not find any mention of it.

Zach, if you know of other associations, mention them and we can check.

Good luck with your research (could you give some more details about it?).
Amir
Old 08-21-2008, 07:51 AM   #15
zivk

Dojo: Do-Gen-Do/Holon
Israel

Quote:
Amir Krause wrote: View Post
Oops, thought you were in the Aikikai list (and now found out I was wrong).
The dojo I practice in (Do-gen-do) in Holon is an Aikikai dojo. Yet again, I thought you were trying to list all the Aikido dojos in Israel, so I laid a hand.

Quote:
Amir Krause wrote: View Post
This brought me to think of the Ki-aikido association too, I seem to recall hearing they have one dojo in Israel around Aco, but I could not find any mention of it.
Amir, maybe you're referring to the kokikai dojo in Kiriat Mozkin? In that case, here's a link to their web site.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:56 AM   #16
Amir Krause
Israel

Quote:
Ziv Klausner wrote: View Post
The dojo I practice in (Do-gen-do) in Holon is an Aikikai dojo. Yet again, I thought you were trying to list all the Aikido dojos in Israel, so I laid a hand.
That was Zach request, me too am just trying to lend a hand.

Quote:
Amir, maybe you're referring to the kokikai dojo in Kiriat Mozkin? In that case, here's a link to their web site.
Possibly, as I said, I only remembered someone mentioned them once. I guess they are not in the Aikikai list (did not check).

Amir