Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-25-2008, 10:36 PM   #1
ohawkins
Chiba's Sensei's bokken kata

Hello All,
I need clarity on Chiba Sensei's bokken kata. I came across and link (http://kihon.aikido.org.hu/kata/chiba_8k.html) describing the kata which coincides with kata on his video titled "Aikido Technical Guidelines" Has this kata changed?, if so where can I get the updated info or video footage.

Thanks,

Orpheus
Old 12-27-2008, 04:20 AM   #2
James Edwards
United Kingdom
Re: Chiba's Sensei's bokken kata

Quote:
Orpheus Hawkins wrote: View Post
Hello All,
I need clarity on Chiba Sensei's bokken kata. I came across and link (http://kihon.aikido.org.hu/kata/chiba_8k.html) describing the kata which coincides with kata on his video titled "Aikido Technical Guidelines" Has this kata changed?, if so where can I get the updated info or video footage.

Thanks,

Orpheus
Hey there,

looks like you're referring to Chiba sensei's 8 bokken suburi. I had a read through the link and it sounds like what we were taught. I've never seen Chiba sensei's Technical Guidelines video but I think everyone still uses that and his syllabus hasn't really changed so it's probably still the correct video. I think there are also other descriptions on the 8 suburi.

Another note, it says on the website that the purpose of the suburi is to demonstrate the 8 variations of shihonage. It's not just that. It applies to a lot of Chiba sensei's teachings. For example the first suburi could be applied to techniques that start with ushiro tenkan and the seventh to those with irimi soku. The eight is for most things that use irimi-tenkan movements, etc
Old 12-28-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
ohawkins

Thank you James for your response
Old 03-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Orpheus Hawkins wrote: View Post
Hello All,

Thanks,

Orpheus
The movements you describe are the 8 movements devised by Chiba Sensei which utilise in the footwork virtually all the possible tai sabaki used in Aikido.This foot work contains irimi/tenkan /dirrection changing etc.If you care to drop me an private message I can assist you here.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

I have to agree with the others. Sounds like 8 count to me as well.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Janet Rosen

Julian Frost who wrote up the reference in the link was a longtime student at the time he wrote that up - I remember printing it out and using it as an at home study guide in 1997.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-25-2010, 03:25 AM   #7
edshockley
Dojo: Aiklikai of Philadelphia

I use the 8 count suburi as a warm up in weapons class and as an experiment/exercise in open dojo (no instructor mat time) explore how many different techniques I can recreate using one of the footworks. I find that the practice improves my posture.