Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Seminars

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-15-2003, 01:40 PM   #1
frankfer
Utada/Ikeda Seminar

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone who posts here will be in Philly at the Utada/Ikeda friendship seminar this weekend (October 17-19,2003). I have never attended a yoshinkai class and am looking forward to it.

I will only be able to attend Friday. The price seems a little steep for the weekend.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:57 PM   #2
akiy

Hi Frank,

I'll be there...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-15-2003, 04:33 PM   #3
bcole23
Dojo: Eagle Rock Aikido, Ammon, ID
United_States
Hikaru Utada (aka Hiki) does Aikido? Wow, I thought she was just a singer...

%us = map { $_ => q{belong} } @your_base;
http://www.eaglerockaikido.com
Old 10-16-2003, 08:38 AM   #4
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
I've found stuff on the web by her...She just shares the name...I don't even think they are related...I'll ask at the seminar. Look me up Frank, I'll be there the whole weekend.

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-16-2003, 10:25 AM   #5
jaime exley
Dojo: Aikido West
Jun,

Jenn and I used to live around the corner from Utada Sensei's dojo. If you get the chance, get a cheesesteak from Chubby's on Henry Ave. They're greasy, but they taste sooo good.

Jaime
Old 10-16-2003, 11:26 AM   #6
akiy

Heh -- thanks, Jaime. I think the seminar is going to be held away from the dojo, though. I think Ron might have more details on exactly where the seminar is going to be.

Hope you're doing well.

Anyone else going to be at this seminar this weekend?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-24-2003, 07:59 AM   #7
frankfer
Ron/Jun,

Any feedback from the Friendship seminar held last weekend in Philadelphia?

Was it well attended?

I was unable to attend and have not talked to anyone that went to the event.

Old 10-24-2003, 09:12 AM   #8
Ron Tisdale
United_States
It was fantastic! Thanks to Jun for allowing me to host him.

At the Friendship seminar given by Utada and Ikeda Sensei this past weekend, both instructors focused on breaking the uke's balance at first contact.

Ikeda Sensei stressed relaxation and using your center to capture uke, even if uke didn't know it, and maintaining that off balance through-out the waza. Ikeda Sensei was clearly a master at sensing uke's balance, and obtaining kazushi without uke even knowing it. He would have you grab his hand powerfully, even 4th and 5th dans, and then when you were sure you were in control, he would say 'nope', and throw his uke effortlessly. You could actually see uke's knees buckle, and then they were done. At one point, he demonstrated how by using his center to move uke, he could make uke look like they were having a fit. With almost no perceptable motion from his hand, he had uke twitching and jumping, all from unbalancing them with his center. His sense of humor was excellent!

Utada Sensei stressed various methods of focusing on particular joints throughout the body to effect off balancing your opponant at contact. An example might be shomen uchi iriminage ichi. At the moment of contact with the strike, shite uses the angle of the wrist and hand to redirect and off balance uke through the shoulder joint to the side and front. On stepping in with the left foot (from aihamne) and meeting uke's face, one method might be to focus on your elbow joint, control the back of uke's neck with the other hand, and off balance them further by controlling their neck. Done properly, uke's hips actually move forward, while the head and neck remain in place, virtually causing uke to throw himself. Utada Sensei chose uke from the lowest student to the highest, as did Ikeda Sensei, and demonstrated how various joints such as the waist, knees, shoulder and neck could be the particular focus of kazushi for various techniques. Utada Sensei taught the entire weekend with a severe cold, actually loosing his voice for part of the seminar. But he continued to teach excellent sessions all weekend, performing at his best for the conditions at hand. As always, he continues to teach us the true meaning of Budo.

My thanks to the members of the Doshinkan dojo who hosted us, as well as to Utada and Ikeda Sensei, for showing us how different schools of aikido can come together and train in friendship.

Ron Tisdale

Homeikan Dojo

Doshinkan Aikido

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 10-24-2003, 12:34 PM   #9
frankfer
Ron,

Thank you very much for your review of the seminar.

Sounds like it was a success.

Were there any photos and/or videos taken of the event?

Hope friendships were made during the seminar.

Thank you again!
Old 10-24-2003, 12:52 PM   #10
Ron Tisdale
United_States
I believe Jun will have some photos eventually...I'm sure he must be busy. I appologize for the brevity of the review...I'm not doing a full scale one because I'm kind of biased, in this case.

It was a sucsess as far as I'm concerned. I got to train with one of my first teachers in aikikai style aikido (David Goldberg), and he still teaches me a bunch of good stuff! And I'm not quite as clumsy as I used to be, so I think some of it actually stuck...

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------