Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #26
jss
Netherlands
Re: Ellis Amdur's "Hidden in Plain Sight" Prepublication Sale

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
If we actually get close to 250, I'll make some kind of announcement.
What? Not every view of this thread results in an order?!

Old 06-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #27
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

ordered one, thanks Ellis!

Old 06-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #28
Ellis Amdur

Problem with website

I use Americart for my shopping cart - and there is a glitch in the program which is not registering multiple orders and miscalculating the postage. So I've stopped taking orders until this gets settled - hopefully in 24 hours. A couple people lucked out - cheaper postage charges - before I caught it. So, anyway, I'll post when things are running again BTW - their customer service is absolutely the worst I've ever experienced - I will be changing processing procedures, as soon as I can.

Ellis

Old 06-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #29
NAF

I ordered one, hope it went thru.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #30
Ellis Amdur

The site is working again - it's even easier to use than before the problem.

Ellis

Old 06-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #31
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada

Just ordered mine. If its as well written as everything else I've read from Ellis, I know I won't be dissappointed.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:29 AM   #32
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

My two year old daughter just decided what to buy her Dad for father's day! It was that or a bottle of Yoichi single malt. Literature triumphed... this time.

Looking forward to being righteously outraged.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #33
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Since that last seminar with Shishida on Aiki I'm very interested in what similarities or differences appear in Ellis' book.

Ordered.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca

Old 06-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #34
MikeLogan

United_States

Was offline for a bit. Signed up for paypal, but if I can order via credit card on the paypal website (without additional charge to E.A.) I will do so.

Thanks for the thumbnail, Jun. I used to do that sort of visual guide for co-workers/management when they kept having this sort of issue.

I will order tonight, and should grab that dvd on ukemi, too (good idea Linda!)

michael.

If way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst.

- Thomas Hardy

Old 07-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #35
Ellis Amdur

Re: Ellis Amdur's "Hidden in Plain Sight" Prepublication Sale UPDATE

Writing to update on the status of Hidden in Plain Sight as I've gotten a few inquiries regarding same.
1. The manuscript is in the hands of the printer. They must make a proof of both cover and layout to ensure that in the transfer from our disc to their printer, that the layout doesn't change, the the colors on the cover remain true, etc. IF all goes well, we send it back, they print and ship it. I will be receiving the books appr. one month from this date of July 16th.
2. So then I will begin shipping them, which entails signing, packing and conveying to the post office. Basically, I'll see how many orders I can process in three hour blocks each day. They'll be sent in the order of orders.
3. I am approaching the original goal of 250 prepublication sales - although they have certainly slowed down since the original announcement. Given the one month to wait, and the standing notice on this site, I am continuing prepublication sales for signed and numbered books. There will be an absolute cap of 500 numbered books. Books after 500 will be signed, without a number.
I want to thank everyone for their interest in my work.
Ellis Amdur

Old 07-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #36
rulemaker
Dojo: Aikido Philippines
Philippines

Hi Ellis,

I want to order the Duelling with O'Sensei book in addition to your new book. Can you sign the Duelling book also?

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #37
Ellis Amdur

Rommel - This wouldn't be the place for making arrangements on purchases. That should be in your order. So please make a note of it when you do order. (to those who are curious - I'm posting this publicly so respond to anyone else who has the same idea).

Best
Ellis Amdur

Old 07-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #38
SeiserL

United_States

My order is in.
Enjoy learning from this man in person.
Looking forward to learning from him in print.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!

Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #39
DH
United_States

For some perosnal reasons I was talking abut Ellis this weekend and this morning and it prompted me to write a little.

Isn't it funny that it is in the nature of so much of Ellis's writing (professionally and in Budo-his professional writing is just as interesting) that he continues to challenge people to look past the things that are capturing their attention.
He did it in Duelling With OSensei-which to this day has some very insightful views on Daito ryu and Aikido that I have never read elsewhere,
In Old School he challenged modern budoka to reconsider what they thought they knew about Koryu all while giving them a (a largely unappreciated in my opinion) rare glimpse into koryu teaching and its own struggle with dissemination in the modern era-which is timely considering the current threads on transmission and Shihans and the like.
Now in Hidden in Plain Sight we are challenged again to see past the modern art and to challenge its very core, Even to being challenged that the teachers -in large part- missed it, all while looking through or past them into the very nature of the asian arts. Into the tie that binds!
I was just thinking, or more accurately wondering, if he or anyone else sees the three books as a unified whole?
Cheers
Dan

Old 07-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #40
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: Ellis Amdur's "Hidden in Plain Sight" Prepublication Sale UPDATE

Quote:
Writing to update on the status of Hidden in Plain Sight as I've gotten a few inquiries regarding same.
1. The manuscript is in the hands of the printer. They must make a proof of both cover and layout to ensure that in the transfer from our disc to their printer, that the layout doesn't change, the the colors on the cover remain true, etc. IF all goes well, we send it back, they print and ship it. I will be receiving the books appr. one month from this date of July 16th.
2. So then I will begin shipping them, which entails signing, packing and conveying to the post office. Basically, I'll see how many orders I can process in three hour blocks each day. They'll be sent in the order of orders.
I hope it arrives on time for my birthday.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #41
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
I was just thinking, or more accurately wondering, if he or anyone else sees the three books as a unified whole?
Cheers
Dan
Unified whole, or even more so natural development of a good brain continuing to puzzle and research and puzzle and ponder....(kind of like watching Michael Pollan start writing about lawns/gardens, then human/plant manipulation of each other, to food chains and industrial food and eventually healthy eating and ag practices)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield

Old 07-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #42
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hi Dan, can anyone say "3 juicy peaches?"

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)

Old 07-21-2009, 12:08 AM   #43
aikilouis
France

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Cheers
Dan
Don't say that, he won't feel the need to write another !

Old 08-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #44
Ellis Amdur

Update

I have been getting a few inquiries a day which wonder where the book is. Prepublication = not in existence. I've gone over the proofs, and sent it back to the printer - approved. So here's what happens next:
1. They print it
2. They deliver it. - appr. August 20th.
3. I unload the truck (costs hundreds of dollars for them to do it, so the delivery guy sits and watches me do it.
4. I start signing, sealing and delivering (as Smokey Robinson would say).
5. I'm going to put in 3 hours a day sending the books out.
6. As I noted before, I will have an absolute cap of 500 on numbered books. I will, however, sign books that are pre-ordered, if the number goes beyond 500. (Sales are currently at appr. 380 as of today).

Dan - yeah, as we discussed - they did sort of naturally fall into a triad - morality/integrity - tradition - hidden knowledge/core skills
Pretty well sums up the interests in my life.

By the way, I was clearing out my storage area, to make room for the HIPS books, and I find I have approximately 250 apiece of Dueling with Osensei and Old School remaining. Sales have slowed down considerably. I am at a loss what I am going to do when I sell them out. I definitely will not do another print run. If I can find a publisher on demand that does decent enough quality (I haven't seen that yet), I may continue them that way. Or, perhaps add a few new chapters from stray essays and sell to a publisher. Or perhaps, not. It will depend, in part, if I can continue to get a return for my work. In any event, if anyone does want copies of these books while they definitely exist, now might be a good time to order.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #45
Janet Rosen

Thank you for the update.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield

Old 08-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #46
Pat Togher
United_States

Thanks for the update, Ellis.
Guess I beter get on the stick and order the other two books!

Pat

Old 08-22-2009, 01:53 AM   #47
Ellis Amdur

Books finally in

Received the books today. I've started packaging and sending the pre-publication orders as fast as I can. I expect it is going to take up to 2 weeks to get all the orders out (hopefully faster) - just packed and sent 50 today.
Pre-publication sales are, of course, now closed (for the signed and numbered books) - but I am taking regular orders as they come in.
Best
Ellis Amdur

Old 08-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #48
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain
Thumbs up Re: Ellis Amdur's "Hidden in Plain Sight" Prepublication Sale

Good, good, goooooood!!

Old 08-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #49
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Thanks....Looking forward to reading it.
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!

Old 08-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #50
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Re: Books finally in

Quote:
Received the books today. I've started packaging and sending the pre-publication orders as fast as I can. I expect it is going to take up to 2 weeks to get all the orders out (hopefully faster) - just packed and sent 50 today.
Pre-publication sales are, of course, now closed (for the signed and numbered books) - but I am taking regular orders as they come in.
Best
Ellis Amdur
Thanks, Ellis. Looking forward to receiving my copy.

Regards,

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."

Closed Thread