Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Columns

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Comment

Column Tools
Floating
Floating
by Ross Robertson
12-24-2013
Floating

We're floating as one

Many years ago I found myself driving on a freeway in fairly heavy traffic. As I surveyed the road ahead, I was surprised to see a balloon that had escaped from a child or a party or a car full of festive decorations. Wherever it came from, when I saw it it was bouncing along in the middle of the highway.

Here was this thing, this delicate and fragile bubble of a thing, dancing in the air against a backdrop of concrete and amidst a storm of metal and glass.

Although I had to concentrate on driving, I was transfixed by the sight of the balloon as it deftly dodged the vehicles, as if it were a whimsical matador and all the cars and trucks were its sport. Doom seemed certain, yet the bow wave of each automobile pushed the balloon out of harm's way, into the slipstream, and cavorting in the turbulence of the wake.

The balloon bounced against the pavement and rushed along with the traffic at surprising speeds. Every encounter seemed like a definite disaster, yet again and again the mindless orb prevailed. In its union with the air, it became one with the traffic. All of this transpired for me in a matter of seconds, but I still see it in my mind's rearview mirror, jumping up and down and taunting mythical monsters many times its mass and size.

Unable to take a stand, it floated. Floating, it endured.

Wishing to be more like that, I've incorporated such floatation into my practice. I have a mind which wants to direct and choose and dictate pathways and outcomes. I have a body with mass and inertia and negative buoyancy. Nevertheless, I can float.

My adversary has no bow wave of air for me to surf upon. Nevertheless, I slip by on and into their intent.

I have a determination for where I want to be. I want to be free to dip in and out, to go upstream or down. Nevertheless, I'm happy to get carried away.
Ever since you kissed my eyes
I find myself alive
I'm floating

Ever since I held your face
I soar through space
I'm floating with you
Floating
Floating
Floating with you

["Floating" lyrics excerpted from "Floating Into The Night" by Angelo Badalamenti and David Lynch.]
Ross Robertson
Still Point Aikido Systems
Honmatsu Aikido
Austin TX, USA
www.stillpointaikido.com
www.rariora.org/writing/articles
@phospheros
Attached Images
File Type: pdf rrobertson_2013_12.pdf (111.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Floating

Lovely.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield

Comment