Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
Jonathan Guzzo
United_States
Testing for Shodan

Hello all,

I'm an infrequent poster but a frequent lurker. I thought I would take a moment and share the fact that I am testing for shodan on February 28, after a six-year aikido journey.

I am apprehensive, but beginning to get used to the notion of getting up before my fellow students to take this on. I have several areas that need polishing, not the least is tanto-dori from slash attacks and kata-dori ushiro techniques from hanmi-handachi.

I'd welcome your advice and thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Jonathan
Old 01-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Dieter Haffner

Dojo: Tai Wa Lokeren, Budokai Mechelen
Belgium
Re: Testing for Shodan

Only one advice: enjoy the test!
Old 01-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
DCP

Dojo: Inaka Dojo

Being apprehensive is the first step toward success, IMO. It'll help you focus more this last month before the test.

Advice? Keep good posture and enjoy yourself. And my favorite- when in doubt, hit 'em in the face

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
- Aesop
Old 01-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada

I realise Daniel is probably joking. But one of the worst shodan exams I saw was a case where the guy got overexciteed or maybe panicked and did his entire randori just lunging his hand into the ukes' faces. We got a very long speech from an unhappy Yamada sensei that year.

I agree with he rest though. Relax and enjoy yourself. But stay focussed and have presence; remember relaxed does not mean wet noodle.

Jonathan Olson
Old 01-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
Russ Q
Dojo: Shohei Juku Aikido Gibsons
Canada

Jonathan is right on...I would add that you should "show what you know".....

Cheers,

Russ
Old 01-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
maynard
Dojo: St. Pete Aikikai

Own the space. It's your show, your opportunity to show what you know. *Everybody* wants to be better prepared, wants thier test(s) to be better. Even if you don't have the confidence, pretend you do, most folks won't be able to tell the difference. Don't get too hung up when things don't go according to plan, they won't always and the panel may not notice anything wrong if you just keep going. If there are a couple of things you want to work on, pick someone after class and work with them for a few minutes, doesn't have to be the same person everytime. Don't try and change any of what you're doing dramatically between now and then, you'll probably just end up somewhere in between where you are and where you want to go and it will probably come out ugly. Also, if there's a class of some sort before your test, take it easy and conserve your energy for the test.

Good Luck!

John

Last edited by maynard : 01-28-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
Daniel Blanco
Dojo: Suffolk Aikikai

Hope this helps, first stick to your basic tech's anything extra will come automatically concentrate on FORM!, good form shows good clean tech and control.(advice: start jogging 1 1/2 x3 per week to give u stamina, re: lost of stamina during the exam will show u getting sloppy and thats not good.) Tanto - dori, concentrate on the tanto, not the attacker so much, if the tanto is controlled the attacker is controlled and this is what u must show. In short with stamina all of your exam will show great form and control, so make time from now til 2/10 for ROAD/RUNNING WORK. You will do well, good luck,remember start jogging on a tread mill preffered its better for your knees ok.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
Daniel Blanco

Good Luck Shodan Guzzo !!!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:47 AM   #9
bcole23
Dojo: Eagle Rock Aikido, Ammon, ID
United_States

Quote:
Daniel Blanco wrote: View Post
Hope this helps, first stick to your basic tech's anything extra will come automatically concentrate on FORM!, good form shows good clean tech and control.(advice: start jogging 1 1/2 x3 per week to give u stamina, re: lost of stamina during the exam will show u getting sloppy and thats not good.) Tanto - dori, concentrate on the tanto, not the attacker so much, if the tanto is controlled the attacker is controlled and this is what u must show. In short with stamina all of your exam will show great form and control, so make time from now til 2/10 for ROAD/RUNNING WORK. You will do well, good luck,remember start jogging on a tread mill preffered its better for your knees ok.
I'm scheduled for my shodan exam in the May'ish time frame. I've been running on the treadmill since mid-November and still need a lot of work on my wind and general conditioning. I'm doing 3 miles 4 days a week and 60 flights of stairs at work on non-running days.. The stairs really help a TON.

%us = map { $_ => q{belong} } @your_base;
http://www.eaglerockaikido.com
Old 01-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #10
Daniel Blanco

keep up your training and u will do great Brandon
Old 02-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #11
Jonathan Guzzo
United_States

Thanks for all your advice, everyone. Stamina is the biggie. I can get through the test fairly easily, since I'm in pretty good cardiovascular condition. But I'm still winded by the randori--which is the last piece--and my ability to move smoothly and stay low deteriorates.

Brandon, I'll be thinking about you around May-ish. Can't wait to hear how your test goes.

Jonathan
Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #12
edshockley
Dojo: Aiklikai of Philadelphia

The best advice has been echoed by several posts, "Enjoy the test." I would only add, "Live in the moment." Each attack is a present event and our training should allow us to blend and control. Once the encounter is complete then it is forgotten and we focus our tanden, mind and being on the current attack. I've found that this has allowed me to "enjoy the test."
Old 02-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
gtaba
Dojo: Riverside Aikikai
United_States

Just "roll with it." Pardon the pun, but all you gotta do is trust that your Sensei has enough faith in your ability, otherwise they would have never told you to test. Control the speed and enjoy it...you'll do fine.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #14
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Figure out which techniques are giving you the most trouble.

Spend time just practicing them until you reach a comfort level with each one.

You already 'have' the other techniques, the reps and concentrated training closer to the test will help.

You wouldn't be asked to test if you didn't already have the skill.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
bakersan960

Most don't feel like they are ready for the shodan test, It is something you grow into. I'm sure you are well practiced, just have confidence in what you have learned, like the one guy said just try to enjoy. Have someone video the exam and down the road look at it and review. You'll see a big difference in your ability!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #16
Boris Spassky

United_States

It is YOUR mat...

Enjoy- and be in the moment, you will remember it forever!