Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-01-2000, 12:22 PM   #1
Nick
United_States
This should probably go in the Humor section, but take a look at this:

"Alter all, the power for KI is not of God so it must be of Satan, and is not something with which a Christian should have anything to do."

I found this on a Christian website...

-Nick
Old 07-01-2000, 02:03 PM   #2
David Kyle
AIKIDO AND BEING A CHRISTIAN

being a christian i was intitially worried about becoming seriously incolved in aikidos belief system. i took the problem to my minister and he read the spirit of aikido to try and deliver a decent viewpoint. The only thing he said is that when a christian confesses his faith he has achieved what in aikido we have to practice to obtain. This put me at ease and I soon begain to distinguish between the two. I personally have no problems with the differing views and belive it does not impair my practice or understanding in any way. One last point, KI is most definitely not the workings of satan and I agree it is comical to think so.

David
Old 07-01-2000, 03:24 PM   #3
Nick
United_States
Oddly enough, about 5 minutes after I posted that, a guy IM'ed me saying that I shouldn't listen to these brainwashing ways. As I've said, my father is a minister AND a nidan in karate... he has no doubts about his faith.

-Nick
Old 07-01-2000, 09:26 PM   #4
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
sorry if i get to religios in this but did not Jesus say "These things I do you can do and GREATER things" did he not. Dont you think that jesus would be against Aikido no he would support it but that is just me.
Old 07-02-2000, 04:24 PM   #5
AikiTom
Dojo: Aikido Martial Arts Center
Once you have some understanding of Aikido etiquette as to what is spiritual and what is just a show of respect (bowing, etc.) there shouldn't be a conflict with most faiths that I'm aware of.
Nick, the thinking expressed in the "if we don't know what it is, it must be from Satan" is just plain dumb. Kind of ironic, but today at church in the gospel reading Jesus is passing through a crowd, and a woman who wants to be healed presses forward and touches his cloak and is healed. The scripture says something to the effect that he turned because he felt "the energy go out" from his body.
Don't know if that's "ki" but it sure ain't satanic!
Old 07-02-2000, 04:44 PM   #6
Nick
United_States
Cool- that's a good point, and also, it was our gospel today too. I agree with your point... Sounds like the church lady from Saturday Night Live. With anything she didn't know about... "What could have made you do this, hmm??? Could it be... SATAN?!?!?"

-Nick
Old 07-03-2000, 12:07 PM   #7
Keith
Dojo: Susquehanna Aikido
Ai symbol

Ki is from Satan. Uuuumm, okay. You know "ki" is really difficult to translate into English as we all know. But it's very easy to translate into Greek. Concept for concept it matches up with the Greek word "pneuma", a word you'll find all over the place in the Bible. Just about any time you see the words "spirit" or "breath" in scripture, it's a translation of the word "pneuma". When it says God breathed into Adam, it could also be translated as God put His Spirit into Adam. So here's the thing: the words "holy", "whole", and "health" all come from the same word. Holiness is oneness with the divine. When a broken bone heals, it becomes whole. The "Ai" of Aikido is often translated as "harmony", but I think it's more accurate to translate it as "making whole" or "joining together". The syllable is foung in the word for plywood, and I hardly think they mean "wood of harmony". "Wood joined together" makes more sense. Osensei said on several occasions that his art was about joining with the divine. If becoming whole with the divine is "holy", and "ki" is spirit as written about in the Bible, I think it's not the least bit unreasonable to translate "Aikido" as "The Way of the Holy Spirit". Satan is Diabolical. Where "holy" means "making whole", "diabolical" means "splitting in two". Seems to me that Aikido is pretty antithetical to Satan.

I'm reminded by something Jay Gluck wrote in Aikido Journal a couple years ago. There's footage of Osensei tossing around some MP's on a rooftop. At on point, they surround him, and when they come to get him, he just calmly walks past them. I love the still from this, because you see all these guys really obviously focussed on the center of their circle. But Osensei is casually standing off to one side. So Jay Gluck, who I believe was the camera operator, wrote that he showed this film to a missionary in Japan, who was put in mind of an episode in the New Testament when Jesus went to preach in His home town. In His usual way, He pretty much pissed off the locals, and they picked Him up and took Him out to the edge of town to dump Him off a cliff. Except when they got there, He just turned around and walked away. Apparently, Jay told this to Osensei, who said something along the lines of "of course. He was one with the divine and would have known Aikido instinctively."

I'm no expert on Japanese, and you could argue with how accurate it is to translate "Aikido" as "The Way of the Holy Spirit". But to me, that's what Aikido is. A daily practice of my living commitment to God to live in His Spirit. And even though I'm a Christian, I think I still have to practice, whether through Aikido, daily prayer (same thing ), or another more traditionally Christian practice. I don't think the Holy Spirit flows through me just because I say I'm a Christian. After all, "many will be called, but few will be chosen."

Keith Engle

[Edited by Keith on July 3, 2000 at 12:10pm]
Old 07-10-2000, 07:14 AM   #8
Anne
Dojo: Kiel University/VfL Fosite Helgoland
"For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?" 1. Corinthians 10, 29

Being a Christian, I too had a many discussions regarding things like akupuncture, reiki, homeopathy and, of course, aikido with members of my congregation. I'm kind of "suspicious" anyway because I study natural siences and therefore insist on rational discussions without dogmas.
I don't believe in religion, I believe in Jesus. Being created as an individual, my faith and my relationship with God are individual. Something everyone agreed with when our minister talked about individuality. But if it comes to "practical exercises", many people reject everything outside the accepted, traditional system of thoughts of a congregation as bad and / or even satanic. This means that nobody wants to find out about new things and tries to hide behind dogmas and tradition.
I really prayed a lot when I took up aikido and I was confirmed that aikido was all right for me. I tried to point out to my congregation that I'm not seeking enlightment or salvation by doing aikido-I've got salvation already and that there must be an energy of life-no matter what you call it (I totally agree with Keith and his thoughts on "pneuma").

It's always nice to hear that there are more people with this kind of problem. Thank you very much!!

yours
Anne
Old 07-10-2000, 09:39 AM   #9
dbgard
Dojo: FSU Aikido Club
God in the Dojo

Here's a little something (a psalm if you will) I just thought up.

God both offers and welcomes respect, Beelzebub demands it.

You might like that one AikiTommyBoy

I had to word it that way to get my point across, but I don't like labeling the ultimate goodness and the ultimate evil into names. This can sometimes make us think that good and evil are outside us, when everything tells me they are inside us. Perhaps the Creator Kami (SU) was a perfect atom, with a net charge of zero (0). As for everything else we see, just wonderful enjoyment for the brain/spine/heart (kami).

I didn't join Aikido to enter some militant world of belt-rank advancement for bragging rights or intimidation factors. That's the kind of thing those generalisimos do like in the picture in Saotome Shihans "Harmony of Nature" book.

NO ONE is above the Founder's teachings, and no one can ever take his place. The most fundamental goodness of the human spirit (ki) made Ueshiba Morihei who he was, and even when the world would get him down, he'd "stand in the face of the Kami's rage.

I enjoy learning from the strong, immovable spirits of old (even Jack Daniels and Bombay Sapphire from time to time 8P.)

Happiness to All the Good Ones,
D. B. Gardner

hara-kiri for the fear-mongers,
sushi-waza for the peace-makers.

--The great dream shared among my friends--

--Please see [u]Aikido and the Harmony of Nature[u] [i]illustration:[i] p. 125. Mitsugi-san, I taught you aikido in my former life, and no
Old 07-10-2000, 09:34 PM   #10
AikiTom
Dojo: Aikido Martial Arts Center
Quote:
Nick wrote:
"Alter all, the power for KI is not of God so it must be of Satan, and is not something with which a Christian should have anything to do."
-Nick
"Ki" is often equated to the Sanskrit "prana" and both have associations with breath, so perhaps ki is the moving of the Holy Spirit, as in pentecost when it was breathed into the disciples and gave them courage.

[Edited by AikiTom on July 11, 2000 at 04:57pm]

May the force be with you!
AikiTom
"Be the change you want to see."
Old 07-11-2000, 10:34 AM   #11
dbgard
Circle ahh, disciples? uchi deshi?

Tom,

Disciples? Do you want to be an uchi deshi or something? It's too late for that, you wouldv'e had to be born many years before you were. I might like to take that chance though, but who is the leader for the disciples to follow? Is it you, AikiTom? Once I know that I can make up my mind. Ok? Sound good?

Sinserely,
Drew "Number-one bad ass" Gardner

--Please see [u]Aikido and the Harmony of Nature[u] [i]illustration:[i] p. 125. Mitsugi-san, I taught you aikido in my former life, and no
Old 07-11-2000, 01:03 PM   #12
rocketeer22
Dojo: none at present
I've wondered what others have thought about this topic. I believe this is why I studied under the Tomiki-style as opposed to most of the others. For myself, having gone to a few Ueshiba (traditional) classes in college, something seemed awkward with bowing to a portrait of Ueshiba. It was one thing to respect the 'living' instructors, but I couldn't wrap my mind around this particular tradition. Oh well. (I guess I should note that I was just below a black-belt in the Tomiki system prior to college).

As a Christian, I was interested in Aikido because I didn't need to 'break' anything, and that I really had no way to use the art except if I happened to be attacked. It also helped me get over my fear of falling :-)

As for the benefits of martial arts, more churches are using them as ourtreaches to the community. The Christian church I currently attend--a non-denominational evangelical one--actually holds martial arts classes on the premises. However, I should note that this pretty much sticks to technique, fitness, self-discipline, and women's self-defense.

I think the concern of some churches (perhaps most) is of some of the meditative aspects of certain arts. If the goal of meditation is to 'empty' oneself of 'whatever', then something has to fill that void. Anyway, as my pastor would say, not a sermon just a thought.
Old 07-11-2000, 03:06 PM   #13
paul-powell
"paul-powell"
IP Hash: 1f3c4b5c
Anonymous User
Circle

Remember the story of the "GOOD SAMARITAN" and that class, colour nor creed should stand in the way of respect and humanity. To be a "good" Christian means to show respect and dignity to all things and in all things, so whether or not you practice Aikido or any other Martial Art (including Marquis of Queensbury rules boxing) one should approach them with true conviction to self.
Old 07-11-2000, 10:20 PM   #14
Nick
United_States
Dbgard wrote:

---
Tom,

Disciples? Do you want to be an uchi deshi or something? It's too late for that, you wouldv'e had to be born many years before you were. I might like to take that chance though, but who is the leader for the disciples to follow? Is it you, AikiTom? Once I know that I can make up my mind. Ok? Sound good?
---

Drew- for God's sake ger over it. He 'offended' you once in one post (and you staretd that) and you won't leave him alone in any post.

it's the past, it no longer exists...

-Nick
Old 07-12-2000, 02:15 AM   #15
robin
"robin"
IP Hash: 57d2268b
Anonymous User
Unhappy Aikido and the Christian

Hi all,

it is interesting to read your posts on this topic. I am an Aikido practitioner myself and a Christian. Sadly, there is a paranoia by some Christians that Martial Arts are demonic, and this may not necessary be true. I think one needs to discern to accept what is good and true, and what is beneficial.

Though, I think it is wise to think properly of the practice of Ki. In certain aspects of the Martial Arts, the Ki is seen to be some kind of force that can be taped into to perform amazing things, which is beyond the physical realm of matter. This I would caution, that it is spiritual, and not from God. I understand that by enhancing one's mind and body through in the discipline of co-ordination, one maximises the potential of the activities of man which many lack of. But with Ki that performs extra-ordinary things, it is beyond what I have just acknowledged, and this is dangerous.

The ethics and the moral values that Aikido philosophy upholds is good one, and to be embraced. But one aspects of Ki that some Aikido/Martial Art schools practice should be seen as cautious. When Ki is seen as an exercise of the proper and efficient co-ordination of our mind, and body, with calmness and clarity, there is nothing wrong with this. Breathing exercise to the tanden helps to enhance and maximise strength, and calmness. It helps to regulate the system of the body well. But the practice of meditation of emptying one's mind, and to achieve oneness, to draw more into the Ki, is dangerous. Our mind are created to meditate on the good things, and foremost on the Creator, Yahweh. To deliberately empty the mind through practices is to invite unwholesome spirit into the person. I am a Chinese myself and I grew up in my own culture, and I understand this thing. Other ways of having demonic spirit is through ritualistic practices, eg. done by Chinese mediums, fortune tellers etc.

I differ with you Keith, that Ki, is not the same with the Holy Spirit. Pneuma is used in different ways in scripture, but it is always through the working of God or His Spirit. It is used in His creation of the world, and as you outlined correctly, as breath, breathing life into Adam. It is His Spirit that creates and sustains life.

Ki's definition is abstract, and seen as a kind of universal force and something that cannot be seen. It is something that sustains life, something that can be taped into, and something that can be enhanced or directed. It is also seen as a kind of spiritual energy, or force. This is the definition of the Chinese or Eastern philosophy. It is hard to define. While there seemed to be a similiarity with the concept of pneuma in scripture, they are not the same.

The spirit of Ki, or the thinking behind it never acknowledge Christ, nor does it point to the God Yahweh. It is seen as a kind of impersonal force. Christ said that "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, no one comes to the Father accept through me" (John 14:6) In the same chapter, Jesus said of the role of the Holy Spirit,

"And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--
the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for
he lives with you and will be in you."(John 14:16-17)

The Holy Spirit is to lead the sinner into the truth, that is knowing Christ, and only in Him that one is saved. The Holy Spirit is a person, part of the Triune God, and He is not an impersonal force.

I like practicing Aikido very much, and I think it is something very good. But not all aspects of Aikido's philosphy can be accepted without discernment.

Robin
Old 07-12-2000, 02:46 AM   #16
robin
"robin"
IP Hash: 57d2268b
Anonymous User
Wink Aikido and the Christian

Keith, you wrote,

<So here's the thing: the words "holy", "whole", and "health" all come from the same word. Holiness is oneness with the divine. When a broken bone heals, it becomes whole. The "Ai" of Aikido is often translated as "harmony", but I think it's more accurate to translate it as "making whole" or "joining together". The syllable is foung in the word for plywood, and I hardly think they mean "wood of harmony". "Wood joined together" makes more sense. Osensei said on several occasions that his art was about joining with the divine. If becoming whole with the divine is "holy", and "ki" is spirit as written about in the Bible, I think it's not the least bit unreasonable to translate "Aikido" as "The Way of the Holy Spirit". Satan is Diabolical. Where "holy" means "making whole", "diabolical" means "splitting in two". Seems to me that Aikido is pretty antithetical to Satan.>

When God called us to be holy, it is to be set apart for Him, and this is the meaning of holiness in scripture. The only way we can be set apart for God, to be His vessel, and to be His instrument, is through Christ. It is not the same as the Ki defined by the Eastern philosophy. The Way of the Holy Spirit always points people to Christ. The Spirit does that by unveiling people of their sinfulness and their rebelion against God, and their need to repent. Nothing can the individual do to be accepted by God, but by accepting and submitting to Christ, to be his or her Lord and Saviour. Here is the involvement of personal relationship, not something impersonal, or doing something good. Paul's point is precisely this, no matter how good the person is, when contrast to God's definition of goodness, the person fall short badly. (Romans 3) In His heart is the refusal of accepting His Creator and King. Aikido cannot make a person holy, only Christ can, for He satisfies God's requirement of holiness. In one sense, it is true, we can only be wholesome, when our relationship is restored with God, for there is true Shalom, peace. Satan is diabolical, yes, he deceives the world into accepting and trusting in the wrong things.

"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:26-27

"he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. Titus 3:15-17
Old 07-12-2000, 12:24 PM   #17
Russ
Dojo: Pacific Aikido Kensankai
Smile

I was raised in a secular household so reading this thread is quite suprising for me. It seems that religion (choose one...) encourages dualistic thinking. Who is the entity that will live in grace via faith in God or visa versa suffer via lack of faith. Are God and Satan separate from us? Do the concepts of good and evil even exist outside the realm of thought? Do we not create the dogma of religion simply to enforce order on a chaotic reality thereby making ourselves feels better emotionaly? (a completely natural response to "not knowing" by the way.)

Please don't find offence in this post. There is most certainly none intended. I don't have answers but I attempt to ask these questions of myself (and others when the chance arises, which is very rarely..., no wonder.)

Russ
Old 07-12-2000, 12:58 PM   #18
Nick
United_States
Russ-

no offense is taken. It's best that we first stamp out our own insecurities, before dealing with those of others. God and Satan both dwell within us, and I believe it is part of our faith to try to rid ourselves of Satan to find salvation.

And also- no one has answers. That's why we're human. Ask God the questions, and in His time, in His way, He'll answer them.

Such is our faith,

-Nick
Old 07-12-2000, 03:14 PM   #19
dbgard
to God

I laugh in the face of any human being or God who seeks to strike any form of fear inside me, for the Lord Saviour in which I believe gives us only the good stuff (I'm not recommending the consumption of poison ivy of course.) If there is a mutual feeling of "ki" on Earth, then to think of this as Satanic is to perfectly mould with the thought that each one of us is merely another pawn in a Piltdown-man old chess game of God versus Lucifer. I'd rather feel like I have some free will, personally. 8).

Old 07-17-2000, 01:06 PM   #20
Yo-Jimbo
Dojo: formerly Windward Aikido, formerly at Keewenaw Schools of Aikido (ASU)
Location: Formerly Hawaii Pacific University, formerly at Michigan Technological University
United_States
Unhappy Fear is the Little Death

It makes me sad to feel like I learn more from watching the movie "Dune" than many do from reading "The Bible". I'm a Catholic Christan and it shames me to see how some use the teachings of Jesus Christ to foster ignorance and hate. Aikido is all I can be evangelical about these days. It seems that modern Christianity has become centered around "being holy". I can't speak for O-sensei, but it seems to me that he taught that "being holy" is a given, what is important is loving your enemy (sound familiar) and that means "acting holy".
In loving my enemy, I'm saddened by the pain they inflict on themselves and others through word and deed. I have a profound respect for all belief systems (religious or not) that promote all humankind, and I will always attempt to blend with and change those that would divide it.
I know this is an emotionally charged issue for so many, but the truth is out there. As a physicist, I challenge anyone who thinks that they have it all figured out to read another book, "Classical Electrodynamics" by Jackson, and tell me what God was thinking when designing the forces of interaction. Our shared universe is a wonderous creation and learning about all of its various facets is my hope for humanity's spiritual journey.

Don't fret. This post was written by the demons that inhabited my body while I was meditating and watching "The Matrix" while sitting on a copy of "The Complete Guide to the Occult," by Zolar. My mom told me not to do it... so I didn't.

Believe what one will, because one will anyway.
Peace.

"One does not find wisdom in another's words." -James D. Chye
Old 06-25-2004, 01:22 PM   #21
David Edwards

Dojo: Genbukan, Macclesfield
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido and being Christian

Firstly: Apologies for digging up old thread like this; just came, searched, found, and have thoughts to add.

Okies. I've been an Aikidoka longer than I've been a Christian. As such, reading the Bible recently, I've come across quite a few points where I've thought "That's Aikido". Most notably such things as the passage mentioned above, Luke (4:29-30), in which Jesus is taken to a cliff to to be thrown off by a mob, but he "walked right through the crowd and went on his way". I'd not seen or heard of the video mentioned above of O Sensei.. but when I read these words in the Bible, I thought "That's Aikido". Same goes for other things, including just ideas like "Love thy enemy", etc.

For me, the Holy Spirit and Ki are not synonymous... rather, my perception as it is of the Holy Spirit changes my view of Ki, in some respects. As mentioned above.. they have enough similarities for overlap, yet enough differences for distinction.

What I have mainly to offer new to this discussion: on the subject of bowing to a portrait of O Sensei (as is traditional in my own dojo, and throughout at least the three biggest associations in this country). Jesus was questioned about whether or not they, the Jews, should pay taxes to Caesar. Jesus asks them to bring him the coin they use to pay, and they bring him a denarius, and he asks whose portrait is on it, whose inscription. They answer "Caesar's". Thus he says to them "So give to God what is God's, and Caesar what is Caesar's"

Thus I say, give to God the respect that is due to him, and give to O Sensei the respect that is due to him. We know perfectly well that bowing in this context is a sign of respect, not worship. And if we do... All-knowing God certainly does, and understands perfectly.

It's a kind of magic
Old 06-25-2004, 02:58 PM   #22
Yo-Jimbo
Dojo: formerly Windward Aikido, formerly at Keewenaw Schools of Aikido (ASU)
Location: Formerly Hawaii Pacific University, formerly at Michigan Technological University
United_States
Ai symbol By who's word?

Quote:
David Edwards wrote:
For me, the Holy Spirit and Ki are not synonymous... rather, my perception as it is of the Holy Spirit changes my view of Ki, in some respects. As mentioned above.. they have enough similarities for overlap, yet enough differences for distinction.
They are two different words after all. Aiki ~ Et Spiritu Sancti, Amen.
Quote:
David Edwards wrote:
What I have mainly to offer new to this discussion: on the subject of bowing to a portrait of O Sensei (as is traditional in my own dojo, and throughout at least the three biggest associations in this country). Jesus was questioned about whether or not they, the Jews, should pay taxes to Caesar. Jesus asks them to bring him the coin they use to pay, and they bring him a denarius, and he asks whose portrait is on it, whose inscription. They answer "Caesar's". Thus he says to them "So give to God what is God's, and Caesar what is Caesar's"
This shows me two things. I've heard this bit of scripture many times, but this is the first time the second point has occurred to me so strongly.
1) There are proper uses of inductive reasoning if one is careful (the above seems to be a reasonable analysis).
2) Trying to twist wisdom to personal convenience and gain goes all the way back (some people can't seem to pass up an excuse to consider themselves above their fellows and taxes).
Thanks for you insight and the opportunity for reexamination.
Quote:
David Edwards wrote:
Thus I say, give to God the respect that is due to him, and give to O Sensei the respect that is due to him. We know perfectly well that bowing in this context is a sign of respect, not worship. And if we do... All-knowing God certainly does, and understands perfectly.
Spoken like a true prince of the universe.

"One does not find wisdom in another's words." -James D. Chye
Old 06-25-2004, 04:06 PM   #23
TexV2
Dojo: Aikido Of Petaluma
United_States

If you can find it....I highly recommend reading a little known book called "The Sickle".
O'sensei
Ghandi
Jesus (all cut from the same mold. If we don't collectively get our act together the universe is gonna stop trying!)
Old 06-25-2004, 07:20 PM   #24
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai

Hi !
When I started reading the bible ,I was of course looking for Aikido somewhere in it,
maybe when David beat Goliath there was a point of equal ; no hesitation - instant victory.
But there was a righteous killing - hardly Aikido ! - but God showing favourtism.
But as I read the word now ,my focus has shifted and it is no longer what I look for,
I long to know what God wants me to understand,reading the word does things to my life and spirit
that is beyond understanding.
As one of our ministers got a sort of nervous breakdown lately - I couldn't help but think that
training helps in this respect , but even Budokas are fragile as people are ,and you never know who
falls by the roadside , it could be me one day , let's hope not !

yours - Chr.B.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:14 PM   #25
Infamousapa
Dojo: Aikido Institute of America
United_States
Re: Aikido and the Christian

Quote:
wrote:
Hi all,

it is interesting to read your posts on this topic. I am an Aikido practitioner myself and a Christian. Sadly, there is a paranoia by some Christians that Martial Arts are demonic, and this may not necessary be true. I think one needs to discern to accept what is good and true, and what is beneficial.

Though, I think it is wise to think properly of the practice of Ki. In certain aspects of the Martial Arts, the Ki is seen to be some kind of force that can be taped into to perform amazing things, which is beyond the physical realm of matter. This I would caution, that it is spiritual, and not from God. I understand that by enhancing one's mind and body through in the discipline of co-ordination, one maximises the potential of the activities of man which many lack of. But with Ki that performs extra-ordinary things, it is beyond what I have just acknowledged, and this is dangerous.

The ethics and the moral values that Aikido philosophy upholds is good one, and to be embraced. But one aspects of Ki that some Aikido/Martial Art schools practice should be seen as cautious. When Ki is seen as an exercise of the proper and efficient co-ordination of our mind, and body, with calmness and clarity, there is nothing wrong with this. Breathing exercise to the tanden helps to enhance and maximise strength, and calmness. It helps to regulate the system of the body well. But the practice of meditation of emptying one's mind, and to achieve oneness, to draw more into the Ki, is dangerous. Our mind are created to meditate on the good things, and foremost on the Creator, Yahweh. To deliberately empty the mind through practices is to invite unwholesome spirit into the person. I am a Chinese myself and I grew up in my own culture, and I understand this thing. Other ways of having demonic spirit is through ritualistic practices, eg. done by Chinese mediums, fortune tellers etc.

I differ with you Keith, that Ki, is not the same with the Holy Spirit. Pneuma is used in different ways in scripture, but it is always through the working of God or His Spirit. It is used in His creation of the world, and as you outlined correctly, as breath, breathing life into Adam. It is His Spirit that creates and sustains life.

Ki's definition is abstract, and seen as a kind of universal force and something that cannot be seen. It is something that sustains life, something that can be taped into, and something that can be enhanced or directed. It is also seen as a kind of spiritual energy, or force. This is the definition of the Chinese or Eastern philosophy. It is hard to define. While there seemed to be a similiarity with the concept of pneuma in scripture, they are not the same.

The spirit of Ki, or the thinking behind it never acknowledge Christ, nor does it point to the God Yahweh. It is seen as a kind of impersonal force. Christ said that "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, no one comes to the Father accept through me" (John 14:6) In the same chapter, Jesus said of the role of the Holy Spirit,

"And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--
the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for
he lives with you and will be in you."(John 14:16-17)

The Holy Spirit is to lead the sinner into the truth, that is knowing Christ, and only in Him that one is saved. The Holy Spirit is a person, part of the Triune God, and He is not an impersonal force.

I like practicing Aikido very much, and I think it is something very good. But not all aspects of Aikido's philosphy can be accepted without discernment.

Robin
EVERYONE SHOULD LISTEN TO WHAT THIS USER HAS TO SAY...COULDNT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF ..GOOD JOB AND AMAN