Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-29-2004, 01:18 AM   #126
Sitting Duck
Japan
Re: soft breakfalls

" Excellant falls, looks very similar to Donavan Waites falls..."

Can someone please, make a video or give me a link to that Waite-kote-gaeshi ukemi beacuse i cannot
understand the descriptiion you guys give... (pictures/videos says more than 1000 words)
Old 09-28-2004, 02:41 PM   #127
eric carpenter

Dojo: hagakure
United Kingdom

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
Thanks for these, Jun.
i think your right,im not keen on sitting in that position ,but it is a transition form , goes very quickly,but im going to give a lot of thought to what your saying, domo arigato.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:42 AM   #128
Shane Mokry
Dojo: Mokurin Dojo
United_States

Hey Jun,

Those are some of the coolest falls I've ever seen. I wonder if tori's weight changes them any. I'm going to try to learn how to do them and then I'm going to try to pull some off during randori.

Take care and thanks for the pics.

Shane
Old 10-03-2004, 08:08 AM   #129
eric carpenter

Dojo: hagakure
United Kingdom

well im all for soft breakfalls,why punish yourself,and on a long training weekend ,at the finish your not as tired.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:00 AM   #130
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

i wonder if the principle is like the old story of the shao lin monks that jumped from the top of the temple and landed in the courtyard without making a sound. by being soft and aware they 'meet' the ground without resistance.

one size does not fit all, but when i saw my own sensei practicing the soft techniques i held back.
when i was 20 i was uke for a demonstration of a judo throw called tai otoshi (body drop). the master teaching the technique threw so hard and fast i think my foot whistled going through the air, and i would swear the hair was burned off my foot by air friction. (showing interest in his daughter before the workout was probably poor form). tai otoshi usually involves driving uke's body all the way to the mat. from my admittedly limited perspective it seems that reaching for the ground in a situation like that might mean some broken bones, dislocations and the like. i will try to learn the soft stuff, but i'm not ready.

billybob
Old 10-06-2004, 11:51 AM   #131
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

I believe that the effort of reaching the arm over to contact the ground early may be being over-emphasized. In my experience, the soft falls are result of twisting the upper body more deeply into the throw. In addition to positioning the rear arm for connection to the ground, this movement also causes your body to be farther along on the roll sequence than it would be during more basic ukemi. The advantage is not only that you can lower yourself, by that you naturally contact the earth farther down your body, allowing you to roll out of the fall, drop into a kneeling position, or if properly motivated, land on your feet, perhaps even in a standing position. Another advantage is that your head clears the perigee of it's movement toward the earth much earlier in the sequence. These factors combine to form a great advantage when taking ukemi for techniques such as tai otoshi (the bent knee aspect of which can be applied to almost any throw, such as shihonage, for challenging ukemi practice) because they allow you to move the two bodily elements at greatest risk during ukemi (your head and your internal organs) past the danger zone in a very efficient manner. The arm appears to be at risk because it looks over-extended, but in fact the practitioner can achieve a feeling of unraveling the arm. This unraveling, relaxed extension keeps the arm from being in a position to sustain damage.

Last edited by bkedelen : 10-06-2004 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:33 AM   #132
Sitting Duck
Japan
Thumbs down Re: soft breakfalls

"I believe that the effort of reaching the arm over to contact the ground early may be being over-emphasized. In my experience, the soft falls are result of twisting the upper body more deeply into the throw"

Exactly,
by "twisting the upper body more deeply" _you_will_ "contact the ground early" - one and the same....

Last edited by Sitting Duck : 11-24-2004 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:26 AM   #133
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

I can do the soft version about 1/3 of the time for forward ukemi (I have to have it "set" in my mind that I am going to try beforehand though.)
I am not at all sure that it will EVER be the first impulse of my stubborn body.

Yes Heather I am a former heavey fighter from this kingdom, leather armor, steel helm, rattan sword and all.
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 07-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #134
Sreyan
Dojo: New England Aikikai
United_States

Hi Jun,
You probably don't have these videos any more, but if you do I'd appreciate if you could put them up again.

If bandwidth is a concern I might be able to provide hosting for them.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #135
akiy

Quote:
Sindhudweep Sarkar wrote: View Post
Hi Jun,
You probably don't have these videos any more, but if you do I'd appreciate if you could put them up again.
At this moment, I have no plans of putting these video clips back online again as these "soft breakfalls" aren't really in-line with my current approach of the totality of ukemi (ie not just about falling) in aikido. As I believe there are plenty of examples of this kind of falling skills on YouTube and such, I'd prefer that the video clips that I took of myself be taken out of the public's eye.

I appreciate your interest, in any case.

Best,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #136
Sreyan
Dojo: New England Aikikai
United_States

Hi Jun,
I completely agree that breakfalls are only part of receiving a technique. I appreciate the quick reply pointing me where i might look to work on my falls.

Best,
sreyan
Old 07-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #137
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

Both Jun & Ron are correct. Most people do the ukemi they are taught for the way they are thrown at their dojo. However, it is best to learn other forms of ukemi. I have learned 3 different forms of ukemi. I trained with Waite Shihan for 3 years and I must say that his system of ukemi, IMHO, is the best one for dealing with any kind of throw you receive. Even if you are locked up tight, if you lead with your hip and do his ukemi, you will come out soft or softer than you would have doing something else. But again, you should study other ways of ukemi. Some people not only throw hard, but they throw downward, which doesn't give you much time to reach for the mat like you would in a high fall. So you should be able to deal with those moments. At times like that, which is most of the time for me now, I do Chiba Shihan's ukemi which is harder, but it absorbs the impact so that I really don't feel it. Always keep an open mind, give a good attack, and the rest will happen naturally.