Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
luchovelasco
Dojo: Private Dojo (Hombu Line)
Chile
What am I learning,when I learn Aikido?

Just almost two years ago,I began learning AIKIDO first step in a very conventional DOJO,three month later I decided to let that beautiful place ,something inside me makes me feel that place as an extraneous place.
Was the precisely moment when a Shodan and two 2° Kyu decided separate themselves from their master,in that Dojo,same I was leaving .

So I began my way with Aikido in a very close and minimal Dojo,with this three big brothers,and a 2°,a 4° and 6°Kyu else,this 6 are a from a year ago my Aikido world.(I must say in this point that I came from a search before learning Tai Chi Chuan,Kung Fu,Tae Kwon Do,Karate Do,Ju Do,from my 8 years I am 59 now.)
Every step in Aikido,now I feel I arrive a new world into my world,every movement,means thousands of little invisible moves, wich learns me a new way of understand all around me,I mean relationships,relaxing,physical attention,a pleasure of making,when I began I was wanting a new Martial art but now I am finding a lot more all included,nothing escapes,nothing now is outside.
All what I do for living is in this AIKIDO.
So I repeat my question ...What am I learning ,when I learn AIKIDO?

Last edited by luchovelasco : 02-27-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
dps

Re: What am I learning,when I learn Aikido?

Quote:
Luis Velasco wrote: View Post
What am I learning ,when I learn AIKIDO?
You are learning about yourself, your capabilities and limitations. You are learning how your body works, what you think you are and what you really are. You are learning how to connect your mind and body to work together in ( oh no the 'h' word) harmony.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

The value of your life and your opponents and that we are all a part of the universe.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:41 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, Aikido is a tool for learning, not the content.

What question are your asking when your train?

What do you want to learn?

The only one who can answer what you are learning is you.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 03-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Lynn has it right... what you learn depends on how you direct your training. The answers to many questions can be had through training but if you don't ask the questions in the first place, you'll miss the answers when they present themselves.

I remember, many years ago, a guy wrote a letter to Black Belt magazine saying, "I am sick and tired of all this talk about the spiritual side of the martial arts... I have been doing, martial arts for 20 years and never got anything spiritual out of it." I think that is actually an amazing achievement but possible... it's clear you get out what you put on.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 03-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
Buck
United_States

As your body moves so does your mind.

I really think the body teaches the mind, or influences the mind, or impresses upon the mind. If a person learns the moves and techniques of Aikido intensely and seriously, that person sees the world accordingly and interprets its spirituality accordingly. The way your body moves in Aikido say in big movements and circles you will see the world around you as a world of large profound stuff that works in circles. That everything works in cycles. You see the grand way of life.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
And as the mind moves, so does the body.
Body and mind unification.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

"As your body moves so does your mind"

"And as your mind moves so does the body"

What have I learnt from Aikido? that both of the above statements are true, however, it takes a lot of practice of the first to get to the second.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
"As your body moves so does your mind" "And as your mind moves so does the body" What have I learnt from Aikido? that both of the above statements are true, however, it takes a lot of practice of the first to get to the second.
IMHO, the craft is moving the body first. The art is moving the mind first. The goal is to move them both simultaneously.

That's what I have learned so far. But, give me more time and I will probably see it differently.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD