Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-29-2002, 03:49 PM   #1
kevin gillis
Dojo: gagetown
hi , i am going for my first test tonight .

i must admit i,m a little nervous wish me luck.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:55 PM   #2
Choku Tsuki

Dojo: Bond Street Dojo
United_States
if it was easy everyone would do it

Quote:
kevin gillis wrote:
hi , i am going for my first test tonight .

i must admit i,m a little nervous wish me luck.
Now that it's over, was it stressfull? Did you reveal your true self? Congradulations!*

--Chuck

* my Sensei says a test just confirms the progress you've already made. She/he didn't test you just to let you fail?
Old 07-29-2002, 09:16 PM   #3
Choku Tsuki

Dojo: Bond Street Dojo
United_States
Re: if it was easy everyone would do it

Quote:
Chuck Kuske (nyaikido) wrote:
Now that it's over, was it stressful? Did you reveal your true self? Congradulations!*

--Chuck

* my Sensei says a test just confirms the progress you've already made. She/he didn't test you just to let you fail?
Old 07-30-2002, 07:06 AM   #4
kevin gillis
Dojo: gagetown
yes i was succsesfull,i am now 8th kyu.The first small step towards a very enjoyable akido journey.I was nervous before the test but confidant on my abilities.Does any have any stories on testing at the early stages of akido? Do the butterflies continue? and are there any suggestions on how to ignore them .
Old 08-05-2002, 04:26 PM   #5
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Hi Kevin,

Congratulations on passing your first test.

From my experience, the first test was the most difficult in terms of nerves. I haven't tested in a while, but I was pretty nervous still then. I used to compete in equestrian events (okay, not the same, but you get the gist) and had terrible butterflies before I went into the ring, but they went away as soon as I was on course. Same for testing in aikido; terrible nerves before and then they go away once the test starts. I think that the nerves serve a good purpose in testing. Keep you on your toes.

Best wishes!
Old 08-05-2002, 05:14 PM   #6
Deb Fisher
Congratulations on your first test, Kevin!

Not that I am an expert, but this weekend I took my second test and I can definitely say that the first one was harder and I was much much more nervous.

This time, I had an idea of what would happen, etiquitte, etc, I felt more a part of the dojo, and I knew that I wouldn't be there if I wasn't already ready.

Like Rachel said, I had a lot of butterflies before, but they went away and I felt really confident - it actually felt really good to test!

Never thought I'd say that - keep it up!

Deb

Deb Fisher
Old 08-07-2002, 04:50 PM   #7
TomE

Quote:
kevin gillis wrote:
yes i was succsesfull,i am now 8th kyu. (...) I was nervous before the test but confidant on my abilities.Does any have any stories on testing at the early stages of akido? Do the butterflies continue?
Congratulations, now get back to practice . And don't worry, the nerves will get less with every test. At least, they did with me - I tested for 2nd kyu a couple of days ago and I was hardly nervous.

In our dojo, Sensei decides when you test, and you're not allowed to test unless he thinks you're ready (the real test happens all the time, at every training session); that also helps build some confidence of course.
Quote:
kevin gillis wrote:
and are there any suggestions on how to ignore them .
*shrugs* Don't bother trying to ignore them, it'll only make you more nervous. Just let them be, and make sure you step on the mat well-prepared.

To do is to be. (Nietzsche) ... To be is to do. (Descartes) ... Do be do be do. (Sinatra).
Old 08-17-2002, 03:10 PM   #8
David Worsley
Dojo: Plymouth School of Aikido
Well i`m pleased to hear you graded successfully, yes it does get better but the butterflies never go away. As an experienced aikidoka I now get very nervous for my students when they grade. I just hope that they keep their centre and practice as they normally train. I have four students attempting shodan in a couple of weeks.

Its worse for them as i am also on the panel and their severest critic.
Old 08-21-2002, 01:04 PM   #9
dekay
Dojo: seishinkan
Well done Kevin

didn't you find every emotion went through you though, from fear to jubilation. Ive graded a few times and find that I'm still felling that way. Every time you grade the level of expectancy of your capability rises so when you do a more senior grade you hope it's looks better than the last. You wont know though until your instructor says you have passed. Enjoy them all though they are all learning curves.
Old 08-21-2002, 02:50 PM   #10
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal
Ahhh, testing;

Just got back from a 3 week trip to Japan, where we trained with my Sensei's Sensei (and like 20 people all above san-dan, 3 of which are go-dans). I wasn't expected to test, but was asked at the last minute to test for 1st kyu. So, with a juvenille kendo class going on next door (those kiais were LOUD!), and unfamiliar tatamis underfoot and knee (soft, but sticky)... let's just say it was an "unforgettable" experience, as I am sure yours was, Kevin; congrats!

PS This was the first video-tapped tests I have done, and found the review of the tape to be eye opening; do most people have their tests taped? (maybe an interesting topic on it's own).

Old 08-22-2002, 06:07 AM   #11
Adam Walsh
Dojo: Greenwich Aikido Dojo
United Kingdom
My first grade was unbelievably nervy. I was also berated by a shodan during the practice that preceeded the gradings who said I should rethink taking the test. It was pretty much the last thing I needed to hear when feeling as nervous as I was. Thankfully I passed and proved to myself that I could do it, couldn't help but feel smug that I proved this particular Yudansha wrong too.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:20 AM   #12
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
This was the first video-tapped tests I have done, and found the review of the tape to be eye opening; do most people have their tests taped?
We don't normally tape the the kyu tests. If someone wants theirs taped and brings a camera they of course can tape it. We do tape the dan tests. Well actually we tape the dan pre-tests. Basically we test and it is taped. Sensei lets the testee review the tape first and write down any thing that the testee sees that should be worked on. Next sensei reviews the tape and looks for stuff that he feels should be fixed. Next the whole class views the tape and offers up the things they saw that need fixing. If sensei feels that there really isn't that much to "fix" then he will let the pre-test stand as the actual test. If there is enough stuff wrong to warrant another go around the person is usually given 3 to 6 months to make the corrections before they take their "real" test.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 08-23-2002, 06:06 AM   #13
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Well done kevin!

I also have my first grading on the 15th of september EEEEEEEEEK!

really nervous and i'm miles away from it.

sensei reckons i'm fine but i feel nervous still, 31 jyo kata is a real pain!

i can barely remember the first ten moves (Sob)

pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 08-23-2002, 12:05 PM   #14
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal
Peter,

Two things our sensei has allways told us

1) You are not asked to test until you are truly at that level

2) A test is an occassion for everyone to celebrate your advancement (read not neccesarily your perfect execution of X move on that night).

Hope that helps the case of nerves a bit; I know it helps me (a bit!).

Old 08-26-2002, 05:40 AM   #15
Anat Amitay
Dojo: Nes- Ziona, "the red house"
Israel
testing

My first kyu test was nerve raking.

At one point I got a total blackout and thought of stopping, but it passed and passed alright.

My next test was about a year later. It went a great deal better. I was nervous but I worked hard for it and nothing came as a surprise so I built my confidence as I went along.

That was all more than a year ago and I should have graded again. I have many things going on, so my sensei is giving me the time to settle things down.

In any case, I'm not in a hurry to any black belt exam so I really don't mind how much time it takes me to get there. I enjoy training and all that aikido is about and since I hope to do it all my life, there is no reason to hurry along.

Anat