Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-20-2004, 10:39 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
"Taisabaki" DVD Released

Posted 2004-12-18 10:00:29 by Peter Brown

URL: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jas.kun...lineStore.html

A new DVD titled Taisabaki just completed by Kyushinkan of Leicester, UK. This is not a training film, but a spectacular action film about Aikido movement. For more information visit our web site. All proceeds to the dojo funds.

Last edited by akiy : 12-29-2004 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:34 AM   #2
TRoberts
Dojo: KyuShinKan House Leicester, UK
United Kingdom
Ai symbol Re: "Taisabaki" DVD Released

Hi to everyone from

Tim Kyu Shin Kan House, Leicester UK

Just thought I would say few words about the DVD - yes there are few words to describe it!!

If you want to see arguably one of the best practitioners of Aikido in the UK then look no further than at the clip of Sensei Peter Brown 5th Dan Aikikai So Hombu in action. Maybe I am a little biased being that he is Sensei at the Kyu Shin Kan Aikido House in Leicester, UK? Post your replies - it will be interesting to hear what people think!

Come to think of it two words spring to mind :-

"Chiba Sensei!"

Anyway once again nice to make everybodies acquaintance World Wide here at AikiWeb.

All the best and happy ukemi!

Tim Roberts
Kyu Shin Kan House, Leicester, UK.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:46 PM   #3
Liam Brown

Dojo: Kyu Shin Kan Leicester UK
United Kingdom
Thumbs down Re: "Taisabaki" DVD Released

i agree with Tim, at the moment we at Kyu Shin Kan are the lucky few that have seen this DVD. We have had requests from Hong Kong, USA, Malaysia and Greece. Most DVD's that i have seen have been training DVD's, this one is total action all the way and the music is great.

I'm glad i wasn't the ukeis, well done lads.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:49 PM   #4
mj
Re: "Taisabaki" DVD Released

All this credit and still no link.

Old 12-29-2004, 09:25 PM   #5
akiy

Quote:
Mark Johnston wrote:
All this credit and still no link.
Odd. It should have been in the original post above. I've put it in...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-29-2004, 10:49 PM   #6
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

IMO, very aiki and full of blending... very typical of hombu style. Ah, reminds me of my Aikikai days.

Just a quick observation, I think Sensei Peter Brown's technique utilises too many movements or tenkans, is the purpose mainly to enhance the aesthetics appeal of the video or is he trying to show some aiki principle?

This comparison comes mainly from my experience with my dojo where we are encouraged to keep movement to the very minimum (Minimalist style). Wherehence application of technique is sharp, short and straight to the point.

Nonetheless, every aspect of it is what is expected of a shihan. Special merit to the ukes as well for ukemi'ng beautifully.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:43 AM   #7
Peter Brown

Dojo: kyu shin kan leicester uk
United Kingdom

Thank you all for your messages, because of my physical make up ( not to tall) i find that by using taisabaki in the way i do assists with technique for me.When filming the DVD the main criteria was that it should be a visual record at where my Aikido is now, it is not a training DVD, and as Xu Wenfung said is typical hombu style,( which i take as a compliment) that being the way i train and teach. The trailer to the DVD shows Tenkan but the actual DVD incorporates Irimi and tenki- ash movement also.I admire all styles of Aikido and am fascinated by movement, but after practicing one way for 38 years it becomes second nature. I would like to echo your remarks regarding the ukie's they do make ukemi well.And again i thank you for the compliment, but i hold the rank of shidoin Pete Brown.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:34 PM   #8
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Dear Peter,

Yes, you are right. It was meant to be complimentary. I can relate somehow to the movement as this is how I recall my previous sensei did aikido. He is Alan Rudduck of Isle of Man Aikikai. He is also a Hombu stylist. Maybe the two of you know each other?

When I saw your video, it sure bring back fond memories of my aikikai days. Thank you Peter for the blast from the past.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:53 AM   #9
Peter Brown

Dojo: kyu shin kan leicester uk
United Kingdom

Dear Xu
I have heard of your previous sensei, but we have never met, once again i thank you for your kind coments and wish you well in Aikido and daily life
cheers and a happy new year to you and your Dojo.

Pete Brown.