Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-18-2005, 06:03 AM   #1
seank
Australia
Looking for the name of a technique

I'm wondering if someone can help me out with the name of a particular technique.

We have recently started more intensive paired practice with bokken, and I came across a situation where I was corrected and told that the technique I was performing was not correct.

The particular technique was not learnt in an Aikido context, so I understand that it may not have a relevant context.

To the technique...

From a position of uke striking at nage with shomen, nage steps/slides omote whilst blocking the strike overhead. Once nage has move sufficient distance from the shomen strike, nage strikes/slides downwards on ukes bokken, (and this is where it gets a little tricky to describe) with the intention of pushing ukes bokken downwards, then re-strikes shomen to ukes head.

I understand the purpose of pushing/sliding down on ukes bokken, but what I started off doing was to side-step omote, quickly tap/knock ukes bokken downwards then strike shomen to ukes head.

What I wanted to know is whether anyone else knows of the technique in the application I have described (that is tapping/knocking the bokken down rather than pushing the bokken downwards), and what the name of the technique is.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:27 AM   #2
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States
Re: Looking for the name of a technique

No luck on the name, mate. But if you tap-and-counter-attack, you are probably opening yourself up to something nasty, IMHO -- you've disturbed his attack, but the tap gives him energy to work with while you raise up to shomen; unless you've struck it hard enough to knock it it completely away, or have hit his hand (so he cannot hold it), you've just set yourself up for a classic tsuki attack.

I have seen the technique you've described taught and executed -- with the intention of striking the kote or hands, prior to the coup d grace -- this set up the necessary mai and opening for the shomen. Padded gloves were involved, though the advaced students were able to receive the attack and defensively blend so as not to need them.

Hope that helps

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
Old 02-18-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

There is a technique called gashiuchi where as uke strikes shomen, nage moves slightly offline and strikes uke's boken, creating an opening for a tsuki to the throat. I'm not sure my description matches what you are doing however.

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 02-18-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

I don't know the name of it either, but I can probably find out.

We do something like what I think you are describing in the ASU's aikiken from yokomenuchi (aikiden #1, 2nd and 4th variation) and tsuki (aikiken #6). (Unless they've been re-ordered AGAIN!) We do something like the sliding tap down in aikiken number #5 aswell, but we don't go for a shomen to the head next. Aikiken #1 variation 5 and aikiken #10 also have a sliding down uke's sword into a shomen, but the attack you are defending is from a low position coming up toward your neck, and your sword is actually under theirs to start that movement. I can't think of anythng exactly matching that description in kashima either. What style of sword were you doing?

When you do this, do you tap their sword down with the flat (non-sharp) "side" of your sword? And do you primarily make the power happen by using your back hand?

Rob
Old 02-18-2005, 02:44 PM   #5
Kent Enfield

United_States

It sounds like you're describing a variation of what would be men-uchiotoshi-men in kendo terminology. When done correctly it is a very effective technique, but it is difficult to do correctly, and is thus a high level technique. If all you do is tap, then you're not going to break your opponent's kamae, and you should expect to get cut in side of the abdomen when you swing up--Your side will be much closer to your opponent's sword than his head is to yours. However, if you cut down his attack just before it would come to stop, which requires very precise timing, from the correct position, which requires very precise control of maai, then your opponent's sword will be put far out of position, and they will have their weight forced onto their forward leg, temporarily planting them in place, giving you plenty of time to cut them.

At the very high levels, the uchiotoshi and cutting the opponent become one and the same, making a one-beat technique in which you cut through their attack to the target of your choice.

Kentokuseisei
Old 02-18-2005, 04:04 PM   #6
seank
Australia

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
What style of sword were you doing?
This was originally learnt in a variation of Kyokushin Karate (using bokken).

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
When you do this, do you tap their sword down with the flat (non-sharp) "side" of your sword? And do you primarily make the power happen by using your back hand?
Rob
It is with the flat of the blade (as in a tap from the side of the blade to the side of the blade). It is a little difficult to describe without the right term, but the best way I can describe the technique is it is almost like blending with an unarmed shomen-uchi attack... you are not meeting the strike head-on, you are parrying and helping ukes bokken continue on it's originally intended course.

The technique is very fast; you never fully commit to the tapping of ukes bokken, rather the tap deflects the blade far enough away for you to strike shomen or to tsuki... That said, the tap is still powerful enough to slightly unedge ukes center, making a kaeshi difficult.

Timing, as mentioned, is critical though, as too soon or too late and you open yourself up to being struck again by uke.

Thanks for the replies though
Old 02-18-2005, 09:26 PM   #7
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Sean Kelleher wrote:
...the name of a particular technique....From a position of uke striking at nage with shomen, nage steps/slides omote whilst blocking the strike overhead. Once nage has move sufficient distance from the shomen strike, nage strikes/slides downwards on ukes bokken, (and this is where it gets a little tricky to describe) with the intention of pushing ukes bokken downwards, then re-strikes shomen to ukes head.
UKE NAGASHI?

This isn't how we (ASU) do it, but it's similar: http://www.stenudd.com/aikibatto/shoden06b.htm

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 02-18-2005, 10:43 PM   #8
seank
Australia

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
UKE NAGASHI?
Looks pretty similar yeah...

I had a brief chat with a Kendo practitioner this afternoon and he suggested that what I am looking for is referred to as maki-waza and also as uchi-otoshi...

He went on to say that timing is critical (as suggested by a few replies - thanks again guys!) and that it it needs to be performed very quickly.