Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-21-2003, 09:36 AM   #1
Jean-David
What is ki ?

I have noticed after reading the messages posted on the thread "Ki in scientific thought", that the questions: does ki exist ?, can science measure ki?, is ki ostensibly paranormal?, should one believe in ki? are equivalent to the questions: does "abcdefg" exist?, can science measure "abcdefg"?, is "abcdefg" ostensibly paranormal?, should one believe in "abcdefg"? The word "Ki" means so many different things to so many different people, that a person must first define what ki means for him or herself, and than explain it to others, before asking or answering any of these questions in the forum.

In this thread I would like you to answer this question :

In your aïkido training, on the mat, in the dojo, whether you're a student or a teacher, whether you're a beginner or not, whether you believe in it or not, whether it exists or not, whether you like it or not, what does ki mean to you? if your a student, what do you think of when the teacher mentions ki and if you're a teacher what exactly are you trying to teach when you're teaching your student about ki? I don't want to know what it means (I don't want a study of the origines and different meanings of the word), but what you think of, when you here or say the word, or if you think of different things depending on the contexts, what are those things in there context.

P.S. There is no right or wrong, good or bad answers, there are only perceptions.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:49 AM   #2
Thor's Hammer
Unification of mind and body.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:42 AM   #3
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
I think there is a fundamental problem in using a word as educational tool if that word is not clearly defined and understood through experience by the student. The fact that we are using a Japanese word, indicates to me that the whole thing is inscrutable.

I believe that if a person has an understanding of "ki" and wants another person to understand it, the only way is to have that person do things that engender a "ki" experience, and then point to that experience and say to the person, "What you are experiencing is ki."

To go the other way, that is start with a verbal concept of ki and then endeavor to have a person experience it, is near to impossible. I have heard someone describe ki as like being in love, inexpressable in words, but when you're in it, you know it.

Charles
Old 06-21-2003, 02:06 PM   #4
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Re: What is ki ?

Old 06-21-2003, 02:35 PM   #5
PhilJ

Dojo: Aikido Bukou
I don't believe ki can be explained in words, although a simple definition for students may suffice. For them, I call it "intent" or "momentum".

Really, I think ki is learned through experience. Those who are saying "mind-body unification" have learned that application of ki through experience, but there are millions more.

So what is it? Who cares? Why limit it with words? (Now if I can just find that nail and my jello square...)

*Phil

Phillip Johnson
Enso Aikido Dojo, Burnsville, MN
An Aikido Bukou Dojo
http://www.aikidobukou.com
Old 06-22-2003, 02:30 AM   #6
shadow
Dojo: Aiki Kun Ren (Iwama style)
i think of ki being the energy uke gives to me in an attack, and then the extra energy i give back to him in performing the throw.

a combination of extension and stability, when rather than using individual muscles the body is unified and power flows from the ground.

happiness. harmony. compassion.
--damien--
Old 06-22-2003, 03:42 AM   #7
mike lee
still way off base

Quote:
Ki is always present in a person's body, regardless of whether or not the "mind" and body are "unified" (whatever in the world that means).
Old 06-22-2003, 11:00 AM   #8
Mel Barker
Dojo: University of Louisville Aikido Club
United_States
Re: still way off base

Quote:
Mike Lee (mike lee) wrote:
..."unified" (whatever in the world that means).
From Merriam-Webster:

unified - verb, made in to a unit or a coherent whole.

ki - not listed. Must not exist.

Mel Barker
Old 06-22-2003, 12:27 PM   #9
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Cool Re: still way off base

Quote:
Mike Lee (mike lee) wrote:
Ki is always present in a person's body, regardless of whether or not the "mind" and body are "unified" (whatever in the world that means).
he was asking about daily practice, something he seems to prefer to talk about rather than do.

I'll give you a really really basic example -

nage is trying to think about which pin to use at the very moment uke has just grabbed his arm. Nage's mind is not unified with what the body is experiencing. Ki is present but not focussed.

as far as what unified means or the whole topic, you might want to do some research on your own about what Tempu Nakamura, Tohei Sensei and others have taught since you are trying to teach aikido.

Craig