Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-27-2011, 01:29 AM   #26
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England
Re: Is Aikiweb an open Aikido Forum ? Or is it a

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
I'll take that as the compliment you meant it in Henry Sensei, and it is coming from you......

I have always been up front in what ever I do, whether good or bad. I don't profess to be the worlds best aikidoka, whoops! sorry martial artist? ecky thump master? I just wonder how many here are? I'm sure there are many, but they don't come forward....?
My aikido isn't pretty, it's not meant to be.... sometimes it might come off like that, but it usually looks rough, like me, as you see I'm not as "refined" as some on here.....
Tony

The last thing you want when you are in a real situation is someone doing ``pretty aikido `` - you would have to put him away first as he would be in your way

Henry Ellis
Aikido in MMA
http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/
Old 04-27-2011, 03:35 AM   #27
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: Tony Wagstaffe's Youtube Videos

Quote:
Eva Röben wrote: View Post
Hello,

I personally liked that video, it gives a very comprehensive overview over different techniques in that short time! I liked especially the counters to foot attacks and the ground techniques.

And I don't see why ukes should NOT be compliant in a demonstration video - the purpose is to show how the technique works ideally, isn't it? I also have my doubts that such a video is a sufficient mean to demonstrate the possibilities of dealing efficiently with resistant ukes; how would the person who films catch exactly the right angle and right position to focus on the movement that is decisive?
Last but not least, we made a photo gallery of our dojo, and I found that there were millions of errors to be detected in the frozen image that I never ever noticed during the flow of the movement (not my own, obviously...these are observed by the others ).
But I did not like too much the wide gaps between the tatamis; they look as if it is very easy to catch your toes in between!!

Best regards,

Eva
(always watching aikido videos in silent mode!)
Thanks Eva, The music wasn't exactly to my liking either, but that is young ones for you (I was the same ) The mats were slipping apart as I was pushed from pillar to post at the venue I was asked to coach in, They go on about 'elf & safety and the floor was polished!! We tried wedging them in with some substandard mats at the side, but as always nothing is perfect. That hall we were doing it in was barely wide enough to throw with complete safety, so I had to be careful on a couple of waza, otherwise it would have looked like a bar room brawl as my "ukes" would have "bounced" off them....
Old 04-27-2011, 03:37 AM   #28
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: Is Aikiweb an open Aikido Forum ? Or is it a

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Tony

The last thing you want when you are in a real situation is someone doing ``pretty aikido `` - you would have to put him away first as he would be in your way

Henry Ellis
Aikido in MMA
http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/
Not bloomin likely Sensei.....
Old 04-27-2011, 04:30 AM   #29
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States

Another reminiscence from me, "Dianne of the Mothball Fleet" who just started trying to learn ukemi all over again from seated in the grass a la the thread on fear of ukemi.... and did a few sword breathing exercises yesterday .... (thanks fellow AikiWebbers for your encouragement...)

Venues!!! From the mists of time... the old Manhattan Center, where the best way to spread the word about Aikido was to volunteer the dojo to give demos in the intermissions of the Karate Tournaments (at the time the bloody noses scared me off, but later in life I learned to appreciate Karate ...)

There we were in our street clothes on stage kneeling at the four sides of the mats extending ki ---- to keep the mats together!!! while the demo continued. Out of the corner of one eye I saw a hand grab a wrist... it was Yamada Sensei making sure Ken Nisson didn't fly out into the audience!

By the way, Tony, thanks for posting several videos on YouTube on April 16th, we still only have dial up but started with the movement in response to atemi one, liked it and are looking forward to the others... I was replaying the original one when Chuck came home and he enjoyed watching it again...

Trying to get him to fit some time into the driving and carpentry schedule to train with me...
Old 04-27-2011, 04:45 AM   #30
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Diana Frese wrote: View Post
Another reminiscence from me, "Dianne of the Mothball Fleet" who just started trying to learn ukemi all over again from seated in the grass a la the thread on fear of ukemi.... and did a few sword breathing exercises yesterday .... (thanks fellow AikiWebbers for your encouragement...)

Venues!!! From the mists of time... the old Manhattan Center, where the best way to spread the word about Aikido was to volunteer the dojo to give demos in the intermissions of the Karate Tournaments (at the time the bloody noses scared me off, but later in life I learned to appreciate Karate ...)

There we were in our street clothes on stage kneeling at the four sides of the mats extending ki ---- to keep the mats together!!! while the demo continued. Out of the corner of one eye I saw a hand grab a wrist... it was Yamada Sensei making sure Ken Nisson didn't fly out into the audience!

By the way, Tony, thanks for posting several videos on YouTube on April 16th, we still only have dial up but started with the movement in response to atemi one, liked it and are looking forward to the others... I was replaying the original one when Chuck came home and he enjoyed watching it again...

Trying to get him to fit some time into the driving and carpentry schedule to train with me...
I know the feeling..... I was there once just to survive, I was jack of all and semi "master" in three..... sparks, cabbie, painter and decorator.....

I'll have to take up a course in film and video making.....
Old 04-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #31
NagaBaba

Hello Tony,
I greatly enjoyed your video. Very solid aikido. However, you set expectations much more differently with your anty aikibunny war. So I expected to see more martial aspects in your techniques and less tanking from your uke. Also attacks are without martial intent. Just like mainstream aikido.
I hope you can still continue to practice aikido.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 04-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #32
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
Hello Tony,
I greatly enjoyed your video. Very solid aikido. However, you set expectations much more differently with your anty aikibunny war. So I expected to see more martial aspects in your techniques and less tanking from your uke. Also attacks are without martial intent. Just like mainstream aikido.
I hope you can still continue to practice aikido.
Nice of you to say so, I like bunnies really......, the fluffy type that taste good in a stew that is
Short of going to war with my ukes I could only do what was asked of me on the day (within reason) with the ukes I had available, believe me.... The poor orange belt, bless him, took a bit of a concussion, but he was allright, hence my concerned look at the end of the video, no damage done.... The hall we were supplied with wasn't exactly ideal but we tried to do our best, bearing in mind 'elf & safety..... I am not there anymore due to differences with the admin and students union after 17 years, the last few was really trying with the indifference I encountered .... I hope to have another dojo up by late summer if all goes well.... I still practice most days with kihon and other exercise related to martial arts, its a bit difficult throwing oneself with out some not being their to do it, but my son who has a passing interest obliges me when he can spare his time, he is a natural giant and makes me work hard for my waza, he is much stronger than me physically so it's not so bad......
Old 04-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #33
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:

Does Chuck ever get that knackered feeling.....? .....

I know I do.....
Old 04-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #34
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States

Thanks for your concern Tony, it makes us feel a lot better to be understood! Chuck knows the term from reading cycling news online, the racers from Oz are saying that....

He is trying to get the limo people to allow more than 3 hours sleep per night, or after a late and an early, the next night has to be normal sleep...

If they don't care what happens to the drivers they should at least care what happens to the cars....

Oh well, not to go on a rant .... I'm trying to think positive, Chuck and myself watching your April 16 videos together soon... Thanks again...
Old 04-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #35
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Thanks for your concern Tony, it makes us feel a lot better to be understood! Chuck knows the term from reading cycling news online, the racers from Oz are saying that....

He is trying to get the limo people to allow more than 3 hours sleep per night, or after a late and an early, the next night has to be normal sleep...

If they don't care what happens to the drivers they should at least care what happens to the cars....

Oh well, not to go on a rant .... I'm trying to think positive, Chuck and myself watching your April 16 videos together soon... Thanks again...
Dianne you'd be surprised how much I can read between the lines. Most humans tend to think alike..... well some do anyway......
Old 05-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #36
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Re: Tony's videos

I liked them.

Nothing jaw dropping, but better than most aikido that I see.

And, it seems Tony works with a fairly talented group of young people, which sort of speeks for itself.

Plus, anyone who posts video automatically gets a certain amount of credit, because there are so many these days who love to talk but absolutely refuse to post video.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 05-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #37
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
Re: Tony's videos

I liked them.

Nothing jaw dropping, but better than most aikido that I see.

And, it seems Tony works with a fairly talented group of young people, which sort of speeks for itself.

Plus, anyone who posts video automatically gets a certain amount of credit, because there are so many these days who love to talk but absolutely refuse to post video.
I wonder why? Anyone can see my channel .....

http://www.youtube.com/user/towag?feature=mhum
Old 05-02-2011, 03:54 AM   #38
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

All of them were beginners to start, some had experience in other arts such as kung fu and karate, judo, but the black belt started from scratch.... He was really scared of doing ukemi......?
Old 05-02-2011, 04:00 AM   #39
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

It looks like you did a great job with them, Tony.

Like I said... That kind of speaks for itself.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 05-02-2011, 04:10 AM   #40
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
It looks like you did a great job with them, Tony.

Like I said... That kind of speaks for itself.
Michael, I try, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.....
It's most likely why I have never had that many students in one go.....
I don't expect them to do what I can't do myself. Even ukemi if I have to and that is not as easy as it used to be.....