Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
aiki03
Dojo: n/a
Australia
single person aikido exercises

Hello, I'm starting Aikido once I get in a bit better shape and other things start to pick up for me (wont go too much into detail) if you want to check the New section of the forum there's my introduction by the way. I was wondering what single person exercises I could look into prior to starting up ? I noticed some solo stuff for beginners in a Shioda book on Aikido for example..

Thanks , Ryan.

合気03. Peace.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: single person aikido exercises

Ryan, because there is much variation in each dojo's teaching style and technical style, I would advise AGAINST starting to try to do any solo exercizes until you have started training and figure out which exercises are congruent with the style in which you are training.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 04-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Breathing is a good thing to practice. Meditation as well.

But yeah better to wait until you start attending classes. You don't want to be practicing in ways that create bad habits that you need to unlearn later.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
lbb
United_States

I'd suggest just working on general fitness, and particularly aerobic fitness. If you can go into your first aikido class used to a daily period of vigorous exercise, it will serve you very well, and you'll be glad you did the conditioning work.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Larry Cuvin

Dojo: Oregon Ki Society
United_States

Do core excersises!

Plus Ki
Old 04-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

What they said!

General breathing/relaxation meditation, and aerobic movements sound like a good prep to me.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
Zoe S Toth
Dojo: Seidokan Aikido of South Carolina
United_States

At our dojo, we do a ton of yoga as a warm up. I advise doing something aerobic (as prep for your free fights and marathon training sessions) but also to do something like yoga which will help you become more aware of your body.

Yoga also helps with the joints which, let's be honest, get stressed a lot during aikido.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
dps

Try these,

http://www.bodymindandmodem.com/KiEx/KiEx.html

these

http://www.kazeutabudokai.com/phpBB3...2b41b562bd3dce

and these

http://www.kazeutabudokai.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=28

dps

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
abraxis

United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
I'd suggest just working on general fitness, and particularly aerobic fitness. If you can go into your first aikido class used to a daily period of vigorous exercise, it will serve you very well, and you'll be glad you did the conditioning work.
Next week I will take my first aikido class in more than 35 years (I was a 6th kyu when I stopped). I began a much-needed weight loss program last month and have slowly increased my daily activites, which were minimal, with Spring landscaping and gardening. I agree that I would like to work up to a 90 minute aerobic routine by the time I take my first class. Also, I have been using a modified rake handle for jo practice. I remember very little of the 13 step jo kata I once was taught but with a little help from Youtube videos it's coming back. I'm hoping I won't have to sit out too much of the first session but even if I do it will be great to be back doing it.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Rudy Ternbach wrote: View Post
Next week I will take my first aikido class in more than 35 years (I was a 6th kyu when I stopped)....I'm hoping I won't have to sit out too much of the first session but even if I do it will be great to be back doing it.
Wonderful!!! Be patient with yourself - don't feel like you HAVE to push it especially the first few classes until you have a sense of what body parts are going to feel it the next day. Oh and have FUN

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 04-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
abraxis

United_States
single person aikido exercises

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Wonderful!!! Be patient with yourself - don't feel like you HAVE to push it especially the first few classes until you have a sense of what body parts are going to feel it the next day. Oh and have FUN
Yes, good advice. Then again, if one appears too light-hearted you may open yourself to increased attention from senior instructors who are likely to make you focus on practicing more diligently. I remember that kind of attention could be a bit painful and quite exhausting as well--much like Aikido itself.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #12
abraxis

United_States

Many thanks for pointing me toward these. Every beginner, new or old,
would do well to watch them.