Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-22-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: Is Aikiweb an open Aikido Forum ? Or is it a

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote: View Post
Maybe you should try it. You don't seem to be communicating too terribly well with your own.
At least I communicate.... Are you going to put up a video soon?
Old 04-22-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
No need. I communicate with folks just fine.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 04-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
Tony, have you put up a video of your Aikido? I'm just curious. You seem a bit particular about what it is and how training should be conducted and it would be nice to have a visual aid and see what you do.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
No need. I communicate with folks just fine.
Cop out....
Old 04-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
Cop out....
Tony are you suggesting that Josh is copping out by refusing to post a video of himself? Since you brought up the topic, I am sure you must have posted some educational videos of yourself training and/or teaching proper Aikido. If you could post a link it would save me the trouble of reading through all of your posts looking for it. Youtube doesn't seem to have anything when I search "wagstaffe aikido."
Old 04-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
Tony are you suggesting that Josh is copping out by refusing to post a video of himself? Since you brought up the topic, I am sure you must have posted some educational videos of yourself training and/or teaching proper Aikido. If you could post a link it would save me the trouble of reading through all of your posts looking for it. Youtube doesn't seem to have anything when I search "wagstaffe aikido."
Check out the jo block at 3:40; can't wait to try that out on the streets!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWCvqhMFp48
Old 04-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Tony, have you put up a video of your Aikido? I'm just curious. You seem a bit particular about what it is and how training should be conducted and it would be nice to have a visual aid and see what you do.
Allright Cliff just for you,........ I usually let people find it as it gives 'em something to do?
In fact you can look at some old ones to... It was the start of a project that never quite got of the ground due to other commitments and time....

http://www.youtube.com/user/towag?fe.../6/uQZ5szvFwGA
Old 04-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
Cliff Judge
Japan

Thank you, very nice.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands

The music from 0:37 onwards is not my taste, but I liked http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rWCvqhMFp48.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Non-sequitur. This thread is not about videos, it's about whether Aikiweb allows an open exchange of ideas, or if it is a clique that only permits a de facto party line. One possibility that has been raised is that the problem is not with what you say, but how you say it, e.g., blunt expression and "harmless ribbing". I ribbed you about your communication skills, and your response was "show me a video", as if skill in aikido (which I don't do) has anything to do with the subject at hand. Classical ad hominem. Don't try to change the subject; man up and address the question of whether your style of communication is at cross-purposes with what you trying to communicate.
Well it seems you have something to hide ? I don't..... So what ever you do lets see hear about it...... I'm all ears... and eyes...
Old 04-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #11
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Thank you, very nice.
Cliff you are welcome....
Old 04-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post
Check out the jo block at 3:40; can't wait to try that out on the streets!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWCvqhMFp48
You wouldn't know Graham. If you look closely you will see that is quite easy to block the jo at that particular point, try it sometime....
If you have the bottle....
You see none of it was set up... I just told those students to come in as they wanted and see what they could do with it, it didn't matter whether it was wrong or right, it's called experimentation, something you only do with your Daddy.....?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #13
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Dave de Vos wrote: View Post
The music from 0:37 onwards is not my taste, but I liked http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rWCvqhMFp48.
Sorry Dave, it wasn't my choice, maybe the 1812 overture would have been more to your liking?

Last edited by Tony Wagstaffe : 04-22-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
You wouldn't know Graham. If you look closely you will see that is quite easy to block the jo at that particular point, try it sometime....
If you have the bottle....
You see none of it was set up... I just told those students to come in as they wanted and see what they could do with it, it didn't matter whether it was wrong or right, it's called experimentation, something you only do with your Daddy.....?
Hahaha. Tony: your inferiority complex is absurd.
I've had less compliance than displayed by your aiki-bunnies when playfighting (I loved the one bit where the guy does a weird running punch thing; i've not yet learned that in Muay Thai...).
It's called 'Not being humoured so you can save face.'; try it some time - if you have the bottle.

You caught a jo, going full-speed in a shomen strike, with your hand. That's stupid, and only worked because - as with everything in that video - your ukes are ultra-compliant (ironically).
I wonder if you can cite a respected weapons teacher who trains people to do that, as it's safe, and effective...

I see no connection to uke in any of your techniques; no relaxation in your posture; your ma-ai during the weapons work is non-existent - as is the power in your strikes; and after you throw someone, you frequently stumble and have to regain your balance: bad aikido.

If you fail even in a no pressure, compliant situation such as this, then how are you expected to succeed in a pressurised, non-compliant scenario?

Take care.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #15
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Well it seems you have something to hide ? I don't..... So what ever you do lets see hear about it...... I'm all ears... and eyes...
Eyes, I'll give you. Mouth, sure. Haven't seen much evidence of ears yet. I notice you still haven't addressed the content of anything I've posted.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 04-23-2011, 12:47 AM   #16
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
Tony

My son Rik was in Winchester on ``business `` last week. Don't take this the wrong way - I asked him to ask the people in the know, if you were known in the area ?
Rik said he received a very positive response that you were a very capable guy to have on side...Rik said that was good enough for him,,so it is also good enough for me..

Respect

Henry Ellis
Aikido in MMA
http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/
Old 04-23-2011, 03:07 AM   #17
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands

Quote:
Sorry Dave, it wasn't my choice, maybe the 1812 overture would have been more to your liking?
Not particularly. I think I would prefer no music at all from 0:37 onwards. Just the sound of the training itself.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:22 AM   #18
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
I've had less compliance than displayed by your aiki-bunnies when playfighting (I loved the one bit where the guy does a weird running punch thing; i've not yet learned that in Muay Thai...).
It's called 'Not being humoured so you can save face.'; try it some time - if you have the bottle.

You caught a jo, going full-speed in a shomen strike, with your hand. That's stupid, and only worked because - as with everything in that video - your ukes are ultra-compliant (ironically).
I wonder if you can cite a respected weapons teacher who trains people to do that, as it's safe, and effective...

I see no connection to uke in any of your techniques; no relaxation in your posture; your ma-ai during the weapons work is non-existent - as is the power in your strikes; and after you throw someone, you frequently stumble and have to regain your balance: bad aikido.

If you fail even in a no pressure, compliant situation such as this, then how are you expected to succeed in a pressurised, non-compliant scenario?

Take care.
Well lets see you in action as well shall we? I would just love to see your fantastic aikido, put up or shut up....... if you have the bottle?
Old 04-23-2011, 04:27 AM   #19
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Eyes, I'll give you. Mouth, sure. Haven't seen much evidence of ears yet. I notice you still haven't addressed the content of anything I've posted.
Well come on Joshua lets see some of your stuff not what you write, but your stuff, I am really interested.....
Old 04-23-2011, 04:38 AM   #20
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Dave de Vos wrote: View Post
Not particularly. I think I would prefer no music at all from 0:37 onwards. Just the sound of the training itself.
Dave, I did not have any input or decision on the promotion "demo" video, all I got was the completed article. You have to understand I did not set it up They asked me to show some stuff, I just did it impromptu, no practice beforehand, just as you see it, if somebody got dumped a bit hard (which they did) I thought it would go in, but I didn't edit it....
Maybe the students that did thought they were doing me a favour by editing out that which I thought would be in it, that's life....
Old 04-23-2011, 04:48 AM   #21
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Tony

My son Rik was in Winchester on ``business `` last week. Don't take this the wrong way - I asked him to ask the people in the know, if you were known in the area ?
Rik said he received a very positive response that you were a very capable guy to have on side...Rik said that was good enough for him,,so it is also good enough for me..

Respect

Henry Ellis
Aikido in MMA
http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/
I'll take that as the compliment you meant it in Henry Sensei, and it is coming from you......

I have always been up front in what ever I do, whether good or bad. I don't profess to be the worlds best aikidoka, whoops! sorry martial artist? ecky thump master? I just wonder how many here are? I'm sure there are many, but they don't come forward....?
My aikido isn't pretty, it's not meant to be.... sometimes it might come off like that, but it usually looks rough, like me, as you see I'm not as "refined" as some on here.....

Last edited by Tony Wagstaffe : 04-23-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:28 AM   #22
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:

Take care.
Oh I forgot to mention I am slightly paralysed in one leg due to a carotid contusion I suffered in 1979, recovered most of my ability, but now have a permanent limp, I still entered competition randori even though I was warned against it, I am often jokingly called the one legged "samurai" But I don't let it bother me..... as I said put up or shut up, better still go and play with your kind daddy....
Old 04-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #23
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Well lets see you in action as well shall we? I would just love to see your fantastic aikido, put up or shut up....... if you have the bottle?
Tony: if my aikido was the worst in the world, or non-existent (which I frequently assert), that would make your aikido no better (those who seek to make themselves look good by putting others down are known as bullies, by the way): it is what it is - in an absolute, not relative, sense - and if you can only look good in comparison to someone who's been training for a little over two years, then isn't that worrying, given that you've trained for decades, and attained the grade of fourth dan?

I wasn't competing, Tony - I wasn't saying 'You look shit - i'm way better.'; I was 'telling it like it is' - so how good or bad I am is irrelevant.
What is relevant is the fact that you make claims that are completely outlandish, based on reality (i.e., your aikido).

The difference between you and I is that you go around claiming to 'have it', and deriding those who are honestly trying; and I openly say that I am terrible, and I want to learn - and that there are many people out there who don't practice non-resitance with resistance, whose aikido I am in awe of.

My 'daddy'...? What are you talking about?
You exist on a level of pettiness, and childishness which most people outgrow with adolescence; perhaps this attitude of conflict, and combativeness helps explain your aikido, and lack of ability to grasp and respect the point of view of others, when it differs from your own.

Good luck with it, anyway: i'm secure with who I am; you don't seem to be, though. That's a shame.

Good day.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #24
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Tony: if my aikido was the worst in the world, or non-existent (which I frequently assert), that would make your aikido no better (those who seek to make themselves look good by putting others down are known as bullies, by the way): it is what it is - in an absolute, not relative, sense - and if you can only look good in comparison to someone who's been training for a little over two years, then isn't that worrying, given that you've trained for decades, and attained the grade of fourth dan?

I wasn't competing, Tony - I wasn't saying 'You look shit - i'm way better.'; I was 'telling it like it is' - so how good or bad I am is irrelevant.
What is relevant is the fact that you make claims that are completely outlandish, based on reality (i.e., your aikido).

The difference between you and I is that you go around claiming to 'have it', and deriding those who are honestly trying; and I openly say that I am terrible, and I want to learn - and that there are many people out there who don't practice non-resitance with resistance, whose aikido I am in awe of.

My 'daddy'...? What are you talking about?
You exist on a level of pettiness, and childishness which most people outgrow with adolescence; perhaps this attitude of conflict, and combativeness helps explain your aikido, and lack of ability to grasp and respect the point of view of others, when it differs from your own.

Good luck with it, anyway: i'm secure with who I am; you don't seem to be, though. That's a shame.

Good day.
As I expected, come on Graham lets see it, nothing to be ashamed of, is there? I just want to see what you can do that's all..... I'm very secure in mine to...... I'm just very inquisitive as to what people are hiding as to what they are saying, nothing wrong with that is there?
I don't claim anything , just as it is, as you say, thank you.....
Graham Christian can do it and I except what he has to say on what he does. At least he is honest about it.... That I can respect.....

Last edited by Tony Wagstaffe : 04-26-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #25
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium
Re: Tony Wagstaffe's Youtube Videos

Hello,

I personally liked that video, it gives a very comprehensive overview over different techniques in that short time! I liked especially the counters to foot attacks and the ground techniques.

And I don't see why ukes should NOT be compliant in a demonstration video - the purpose is to show how the technique works ideally, isn't it? I also have my doubts that such a video is a sufficient mean to demonstrate the possibilities of dealing efficiently with resistant ukes; how would the person who films catch exactly the right angle and right position to focus on the movement that is decisive?
Last but not least, we made a photo gallery of our dojo, and I found that there were millions of errors to be detected in the frozen image that I never ever noticed during the flow of the movement (not my own, obviously...these are observed by the others ).
But I did not like too much the wide gaps between the tatamis; they look as if it is very easy to catch your toes in between!!

Best regards,

Eva
(always watching aikido videos in silent mode!)