Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-17-2006, 12:03 PM   #26
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States
Re: Poll: Are you ever bored during aikido class?

Ruth M. said "I only ever get bored during demonstrations when the instructor stops teaching and starts showing off.

Fortunately this doesn't happen too often"

Admirable candor Madam!

dave
Old 01-17-2006, 03:40 PM   #27
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
Depends on the thing.

What's "one thing"? A technique? A principle?

Well, certain principles never really become tedious (to me). If we are working on controlling our center or being more circular or a principle like that then its not so redundant because almost every technique can be tied into those principles.

But say for instance we are working on only Kokyu nage (or different variations of it) for an entire class... that can be boring. For one... kokyu nage isnt really that exciting of a technique in the first place .. all u do is turn and throw. And doing an already boring technique for an entire class, can definitely make it worse.

However, its very rare that we do stuff like this... and its also very rare that i find myself bored during aikido. Just every now and then. And who knows maybe its not the techniques maybe its just my mood at the time...

*Paige

Last edited by aikigirl10 : 01-17-2006 at 03:41 PM. Reason: fix
Old 01-18-2006, 12:43 AM   #28
driri
Dojo: Aikikan Enschede
Netherlands
Smile Re: Poll: Are you ever bored during aikido class?

I can honestly say that I have never been bored in aikido class. There is always a challange and always something to improve.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:55 PM   #29
billybob

United_States

Wikipedia definition:

Boredom, also called ennui (pronounced /ɑ̃nɥi/; a French word from the Old French enui, root of the English word 'annoy'), is a reactive state to wearingly dull, repetitive, or tedious stimuli: suffering from a lack of interesting things to see, hear, etc., or do (physically or intellectually), while not in the mood of "doing nothing". Those afflicted by temporary boredom may regard the affliction as a waste of time, but usually characterise boredom worse than just that. Alternatively one may have the feeling that having too much spare time causes boredom. Indeed, time often appears to move more slowly to someone suffering from boredom. This results from the way in which the human mind measures the passage of time, by the frequency of notable events, the absence of which may cause the feeling of boredom. Boredom can also occur as a symptom of clinical depression and may also lead to impulsive (and sometimes excessive) actions, that serve no purpose and may damage one's self-interest. For example, studies in behavioral finance have shown that stock traders can enter into "overtrading" (buying or selling even without any objective reason to do so) simply because they feel bored when they have nothing worth doing.

So, either watching sixth kyu tests really is boring or I'm clinically depressed. (BOTH)

davek
Old 01-18-2006, 07:10 PM   #30
Tony Barajas
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

I was in the "yes I been bored" category. I was once in a class were an instructor took %75 present of a class period explaining a point which every student understood with in 5 minutes. I know some will say, "perhaps the students did not understand what the instructor was explaining, and that's why he took that long" My answer to that is: "no, we got it". The instructor just go into Teacher head space and was not able to pull out.

In short we are responsible for how we approach our own training, but in a fair discussion you cant let the instructor off the hook just because he/she has the title Sensei.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:20 PM   #31
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Paige Frazier wrote:
For one... kokyu nage isnt really that exciting of a technique in the first place .. all u do is turn and throw.
Any technique can be reduced to that simplistic, mechanistic level if that is all you are looking for.
Every time a person attacks me has the potential to pose a different issue of energy, timing, intent, etc AND offer me a range of options of to focus on (energy, timing, intent; hands, feet, hips; depth, size, power, softness).....
yeah, I'm with those who say that going to a seminar and sitting and listening for an hour can be pretty boring :-)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-19-2006, 01:48 PM   #32
aikigirl10
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
Any technique can be reduced to that simplistic, mechanistic level if that is all you are looking for.

Well, its sometimes good to reduce techniques to a simplistic, mechanistic level even if thats not all you're looking for.

My sensei has said before that techniques like kokyu nage aren't really meant to be a realistic approach to self-defense. They may just be for practicing movement and footwork to improve other techniques that really are effective.

So i like to compare this to writing our A's in kindergarten. We learn to write an A so that later we can learn to write "cat" or "hat" or bigger words like "amphibian" what have you.

And since im not in kindergarten anymore, if someone was to say to me , "Get out your pencil and start writing A's" hmmm ... yeah that would be boring and almost pointless.

So you see to go back and work on things that are essentially very simplistic no matter how u look at it, yes that can be boring to me. Of course, its always good to review , but like i said reviewing for an entire class can be redundant.

But again, we dont do this often so im really not bored very often.

*Paige*
Old 01-19-2006, 04:37 PM   #33
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Paige Frazier wrote:
So i like to compare this to writing our A's in kindergarten. We learn to write an A so that later we can learn to write "cat" or "hat" or bigger words like "amphibian" what have you.
And since im not in kindergarten anymore, if someone was to say to me , "Get out your pencil and start writing A's" hmmm ... yeah that would be boring and almost pointless.
I would hazard a guess that a calligrapher finds value spent in hours working on "A", a weapons instructor on shomen cuts, and a musician on scales or runs; I certainly find value as a seamstress in working on, say, miters....and for a person chosing to devote time and energy to train in aikido, there would always be SOMEthing "work on" in any given technique.

Janet Rosen
Old 01-19-2006, 07:01 PM   #34
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

Yes.

Jeanne
Old 01-19-2006, 07:19 PM   #35
aikigirl10
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
I would hazard a guess that a calligrapher finds value spent in hours working on "A"
Good Point.

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
....and for a person chosing to devote time and energy to train in aikido, there would always be SOMEthing "work on" in any given technique.
Of course.

I think you and I are on the same page, just with different opinions on how much we enjoy it.

I personally get bored with one certain technique if done over and over. My comparison of kokyu nage to writing A's was only an explanation for why i get bored and what it's like for me when doing something repetitively.

However, like you said it is necessary for Aikido practice, if you are devoted that is, and i totally agree with that.

*Paige*
Old 01-20-2006, 12:25 AM   #36
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

I would say that if a technique like kokyunage feels easy then you need to focus on your awareness.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:36 AM   #37
idarch
Dojo: Bexhill
United Kingdom

I get bored when the class is an odd number and I sit in seiza to allow the 'extra person' to have a go, trouble is, I seem to be the only person with this mentality and often end up sitting in seiza for quite a while sometimes!
Old 01-20-2006, 08:18 AM   #38
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Ivan, after the sensei demonstrates a technique and tells the class to pair up, quickly turn to the person next to you and say: "Onegaishimasu". Most people who have no partner are waiting to be chosen rather than going right ahead and choosing. The best way is to choose the closest person, and that is the person sitting next to you on one side or two. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:23 PM   #39
billybob

United_States

If you take fifteen years off then come back in your middle age - odd numbered classes are a lifesaver!!! I thought my buddy with the wired together knee was being lazy when he worked intermittently - nope, just surviving.

Sometimes I choose boredom over vomiting and passing out!

dave
Old 01-20-2006, 01:48 PM   #40
Janet Rosen

Quote:
David Knowlton wrote:
odd numbered classes are a lifesaver!!! I thought my buddy with the wired together knee was being lazy when he worked intermittently - nope, just surviving.
on nights when my body is not up to falling, I make it a point to try to be part of a group of 3 so that my partners can practice with each other at their preferred intensity level.
there is always something to learn by watching anyhow

Janet Rosen
Old 01-20-2006, 10:25 PM   #41
crbateman

I am somewhat ashamed to say that I have on occasion found myself bored in class. I'd like to think it's just human nature, even for the (usually) dedicated.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:57 AM   #42
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Quote:
Gene Williams on Budoseek wrote:
If you think you are bored, it is a gift that reminds you of your ego getting in the way of your progress. NO ONE is good enough to be bored.
An appropriate quote, at least in my opinion.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:14 PM   #43
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay

I love when my Sensei "shows off", it looks great, it makes me feel Aikido is a magnificent art. And it's a great incentive. And I never get bored practicing. No, I don't get bored. In fact, the 1 hour and a half class feels short, and 3 days a week are not enough for me.