Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #76
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States
Re: My Spiritual Aikido.

Quote:
Tom Verhoeven wrote: View Post
Most likely everyone is familiar with it, but I would like to recommend Frederick Franck's book " an encounter with Oomoto, the great origin, a faith rooted in the ancient mysticism and the traditional arts of Japan (1975).
.......... the French philosopher Teilhard de Chardin and the words of Nao Deguchi and Onisaburo Deguchi. Reading the spiritual ideas of the founders of Oomoto kyo everyone can see where many of O Sensei spiritual thoughts must have had its origin.

It is a small book, but it is filled with nice details and interesting facts.

Frederick Franck (Dutch - American) is known for books like "The Zen of seeing", his art work, and the work he did with Albert Schweitzer. He is the designer/sculptor of the chapel of peace at his home in Warwick, N.Y.

All the best!
Tom
Many thanks Tom for this reference. I look forward to learning more about Oomoto Kyo through it. Teilhard de Chardin is one of my favorite 20th century theologians and my martial arts have never primarily been about fighting. Fighting is more the booby prize that results from the mindful discipline, creativity and bondedness between humans that martial training creates.

Gratitude,

Chris

Last edited by Chris Parkerson : 06-16-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #77
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Most likely everyone is familiar with it, but I would like to recommend Frederick Franck's book " an encounter with Oomoto, the great origin, a faith rooted in the ancient mysticism and the traditional arts of Japan (1975).
Franck witnessed a demonstration of Inoue's Shinwa Taido and describes it as " a particular esthetic form of Aikido".
He explains how the "sensuous life-affirmation of animistic Shinto fused with Buddhist acetisme and eschatology and Confucian precepts as filial piety and human-heartedness" was inherited by the Oomoto kyo. "In this spiritual and moral climate the Sacred is not verbalized or systematized, but experienced in manner one might characterize as esthetic". The Oomoto kyo see according to Franck, the esthetic experience in the traditional Japanese arts as poetry, painting, calligraphy, silence, humor, dance, theater, Aikido, as a way to experience the Sacred and to transmit religious moods and values.
The Oomoto kyo see Aikido as a spiritual practice / experience. Not as a fighting method.

Frederick Franck makes an interesting comparison with the French philosopher Teilhard de Chardin and the words of Nao Deguchi and Onisaburo Deguchi. Reading the spiritual ideas of the founders of Oomoto kyo everyone can see where many of O Sensei spiritual thoughts must have had its origin.

It is a small book, but it is filled with nice details and interesting facts.

Frederick Franck (Dutch - American) is known for books like "The Zen of seeing", his art work, and the work he did with Albert Schweitzer. He is the designer/sculptor of the chapel of peace at his home in Warwick, N.Y.

All the best!
Tom
Thanks. That's how I see it too although I haven't read the book you cite. I must give it a read, sounds interesting.

Peace.G.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #78
graham christian
England

Here is another difference in my Aikido and I would say an age old difference pointed out by many an enlightened soul and always doubted but unfortunately twisted by those who miss the point.

In my Aikido we understand the principle of universal love and the spirit of loving protection for all things.

Therefor our sole aim is protecting the other person(s) Thus it's a game where everybody wins.

This also means there can be no enemy for that is a concept from win/lose, competition, right/wrong.etc.

Selfishness is the reason for not understanding this. All self defence forms and arts are selfish.

Based on the belief of protecting self thus justifying doing to others as they see fit. Thus they seek to be powerful, dominant, better than, etc. All ego.

Aikido is not selfish, it is all embrasive, in fact in spiritual terms it is selfless.

Thus the true concept of universal love and peace and harmony can never be understood by such folk as long as they view from such a base viewpoint. From the seven deadly sins to the words of Buddha to Jesus et al. this has been the message which later has been grabbed and twisted later for service to selfish means once again and power and control. Same ol same ol.

True budo.

Peace.G.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #79
Tom Verhoeven
Dojo: Aikido Auvergne Kumano dojo
France

Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
Many thanks Tom for this reference. I look forward to learning more about Oomoto Kyo through it. Teilhard de Chardin is one of my favorite 20th century theologians and my martial arts have never primarily been about fighting. Fighting is more the booby prize that results from the mindful discipline, creativity and bondedness between humans that martial training creates.

Gratitude,

Chris
Chris,
You're most welcome. Quite some time ago I read Carmen Blacker's book The Catalpa Bow. It is "a study of shamanistic practices in Japan" (subtitel). There is also a chapter on Onisaburo Deguchi of Oomoto kyo in it.
Interesting read.
Long time ago I also read a book on the rituals and shamanistic practices of the Hopi.
Is there any change you could recommend a book on shamanism in the tradition that you are involved in?

Be well,
Tom

Old 06-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #80
Tom Verhoeven
France

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Here is another difference in my Aikido and I would say an age old difference pointed out by many an enlightened soul and always doubted but unfortunately twisted by those who miss the point.

In my Aikido we understand the principle of universal love and the spirit of loving protection for all things.

Therefor our sole aim is protecting the other person(s) Thus it's a game where everybody wins.

This also means there can be no enemy for that is a concept from win/lose, competition, right/wrong.etc.

Selfishness is the reason for not understanding this. All self defence forms and arts are selfish.

Based on the belief of protecting self thus justifying doing to others as they see fit. Thus they seek to be powerful, dominant, better than, etc. All ego.

Aikido is not selfish, it is all embrasive, in fact in spiritual terms it is selfless.

Thus the true concept of universal love and peace and harmony can never be understood by such folk as long as they view from such a base viewpoint. From the seven deadly sins to the words of Buddha to Jesus et al. this has been the message which later has been grabbed and twisted later for service to selfish means once again and power and control. Same ol same ol.

True budo.

Peace.G.
Graham,
Sorry about your other thread. Feel I am a partly responsible for that - I did go on a bit and stayed too long on the same track. It drifted away from your original post. And kept drifting away even after I stopped adding to it.

Heard a story about a modern day Buddhist monk recently that you might enjoy. A Buddhist went to his teacher complaining that although he was fine with the life of a monk, he did not like the fact that people came to him and told him all the stories of their lives, their problems with day to day life, problems with work, with there husband or wife, with their family, and so on. He felt like there was no end to their problems and that they were bringing it to him, as if they were bringing their garbage into his room.
The monk expected to be released from this task, but his teacher said; "you are a Buddhist priest, this is your task. You listen to these people, give them advice when needed and you let them come and bring their garbage. And then you get yourself a garbage-can that on the inside is covered with teflon. The teflon makes it easy to empty the garbage-can. Your mind should be like that as well. With a teflon mind things may be thrown in, but they do not stick and it becomes easy to empty again."

Seems to me that you have had thrown a lot of garbage at you lately on AikiWeb. Yet I get the impression that fortunately it does not seem to stick. Just like the monk you seem to have acquired a teflon mind!

Best wishes!
Tom

Old 06-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #81
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Tom,

I just got my Oomoto kyo book in the mail today. I am excited about it.
Regarding shamanism, as a deep ecologist, i am deeply moved by Apela Colorado's position that one must first tap into your own DNA's indigenous mind. For me, that is Celtic, andalusian and Amerindian. Our ancestry is in our DNA, we also have a tribal memory. This connection is like a silver chord to our "knowing".

Thus, I am moved by the Hopi traditional elders like Dan Evehema as well as the Mayan Eagle Clan priests. Being from Texas (Father's side since 1820 and mother's side from Mexico and Spaniards, Teotijuacan, Yaqui curanderos and Comanche shamanism is like eating locally grown veggies.
My Spanish (Andalusian) connection has all the emotive connection to mediterainian Sufism, and
Christian Mysticism as it runs through me like hot blood. Then comes my Asian practices. It is foolish not to dabble in the tantra.
My closest teachers right now are Will Taegel (Comanche/Lakota), Carlos Barrios (Mayan), and Andrew Harvey (Indian Raj and British). Each are well healed in mystic/Shamanistic practices as well as being highly educated.

Andrew Harvey is a poet, novelist, translator, mystical scholar and lecturer. At the age of 21, he became the youngest person ever to be awarded the Fellow of All Souls College, Oxford University. England's highest academic honor. He has taught at Oxford, Cornell, Hobart and Smith Colleges, California Institute of Integral Studies, and UCS. Honors he has received include the Benjamin Franklin Award and the Mind Body Spirit Award and the Christmas Humphries Award. He is the author and editor of over 30 books including: The Return of the Mother and Son of Man: The Mystical Path to Christ, and The Direct Path. He is Founder and Director of the Institute of Sacred Activism, and his forthcoming book The Hope: A Guide to Sacred Activism is being published in

Dr. Apela Colorado, a member of the Oneida tribe and traditional cultural practitioner, created the first doctoral program in traditional knowledge at the California Institute of Integral Studies. She also established the Spirit Camp cultural revitalization project at the University of Alaska and began the Native Social Work concentration at the University of Calgary. With assistance from the Canadian International Development Agency, Dr. Colorado founded the Worldwide Indigenous Science Network (WISN) in 1989. WISN brought together western scientists and indigenous practitioners of traditional knowledge in a series of international workshops, conferences, and overseas projects. The work created a forum and established a process to promote consensus, collaboration and cooperation between experts of western and indigenous knowledge in conservation and education programs and alternative resource development. Dr. Colorado is Director of Wisdom University's Indigenous Mind Program, which offers Masters and Ph.D. degrees.

Will Taegel (website)

Ph.D., Wisdom University

D. Min, Graduate Theological Union

M. Div., Emory University, Summa Cum Laude

B. A., McMurry University, Summa Cum Laude

Licensed Professional Counselor, State of Texas

Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, State of Texas

Will Taegel brings an integral approach to his work at Wisdom University as Vice President of Academic Affairs and Chair of the Academic Council.  He weds his Native American background and traditional training in shamanic circles with his 30 year practice of psychotherapy, including a stint as Chair of the Texas State Board of Examiners in Psychotherapy.  He balances  his academic interest in evolution and trauma with the spiritual practice of rain water collection, solar and wind energy, and environmental restoration.  He is the author of 8 books and numerous professional articles.  He was among the first researchers to connect clinical and cultural disturbance with human estrangement from the sacred core of Nature and, in that regard, to build a number of ongoing eco-spiritual communities and is the co-founder, with Judith Yost, of an eco-spiritual, integral practice community called the Earthtribe. 

The above are my mentors at Wisdom university. At any given class, there are about 30 shamans from various traditions.

Finally,Carlos Barrios was given permission by Wandering Wolf (Don Alejandro Perez Oxlaj) to conduct fire ceremonies for non Mayans. I was present at the first one (in Beliz) and follow their message closely. I hope to get closer to their practice some day.

Puha

Chris

Old 06-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #82
Chris Parkerson
United_States

If I were to recommend books, they would be less historical. They would be writings and stories designed to pull you into and through the veil itself.

Toltec: don Miguel Ruiz
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...0Ruiz&p age=1
Mayan: Carlos Barrios
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...Carlos+Barrios

Will Taegel
http://www.amazon.com/Many-Colored-B...William+Taegel

Black Elk
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Elk-Spea...ack+elk+speaks

Andrew Harvey
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is...=Andrew+harvey

David Abram
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is...ecoming+animal

Happy journey

Chris

Old 06-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #83
Chris Parkerson
United_States

I just slept on what I wrote:

You might want to begin with
Abrams: becoming Animal
Then Derrick Jensens'
"A Language Older Than Words"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1931498555

Then
Peter Kingsley
A Story Waiting to Pierce You: Mongolia, Tibet and the Destiny of the Western World
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1890350214

If you want to be shaken to the core.

Chris

Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #84
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Graham,
Sorry about your other thread. Feel I am a partly responsible for that - I did go on a bit and stayed too long on the same track. It drifted away from your original post. And kept drifting away even after I stopped adding to it.

Heard a story about a modern day Buddhist monk recently that you might enjoy. A Buddhist went to his teacher complaining that although he was fine with the life of a monk, he did not like the fact that people came to him and told him all the stories of their lives, their problems with day to day life, problems with work, with there husband or wife, with their family, and so on. He felt like there was no end to their problems and that they were bringing it to him, as if they were bringing their garbage into his room.
The monk expected to be released from this task, but his teacher said; "you are a Buddhist priest, this is your task. You listen to these people, give them advice when needed and you let them come and bring their garbage. And then you get yourself a garbage-can that on the inside is covered with teflon. The teflon makes it easy to empty the garbage-can. Your mind should be like that as well. With a teflon mind things may be thrown in, but they do not stick and it becomes easy to empty again."

Seems to me that you have had thrown a lot of garbage at you lately on AikiWeb. Yet I get the impression that fortunately it does not seem to stick. Just like the monk you seem to have acquired a teflon mind!

Best wishes!
Tom
I feel I owe an apology as well. It's too easy sometimes to fire off a post. Conversations naturally meander a bit, but there were a couple times where I realized I was more talking about communication issues than spiritual or IP issues. Rather than create a new thread, I was lazy...they were tengential at best, so I'm sorry for that.
I like that idea of the teflon mind and think it's in the proper spirit for budo...what little I can be said to understand of it, anyway. Picking your battles; deciding which things to cling to and which to let go of can be very subtle and often are under-appreciated. Aikiweb often serves as a good reminder for me in this...even though I probably often forget it.
Sincerely,
Matthew

Gambarimashyo!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #85
graham christian
England

Quote:
Graham,

Best wishes!
Tom
Don't worry Tom, I doubt you were the main reason.

Like your Buddhist monk story. I wrote earlier how sympathy leaves you covered in others stuff whereas empathy allows you to be with them yet remain yourself clear and 'teflon.

I follow this rule in Aikido and life and it's more like this: They come, they leave in a better condition.

So I understand the story well for as soon as you are a good listener and willing to be with then people turn up non-stop to give you their problems. So I end up being in life counselor, healer and guide. To me it's all Aikido.

In this world of 'should be's and must be's and "now I'm supposed to's" I find it's best to just carry on improving your own self and ability and staying on the path. Someone comes they are coming for a reason and to me that is all there is, it's not a problem, it's all good. Improve self, help others improve themselves, what better game is there?

Thanks for the post.

Peace.G.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #86
graham christian
England

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
I feel I owe an apology as well. It's too easy sometimes to fire off a post. Conversations naturally meander a bit, but there were a couple times where I realized I was more talking about communication issues than spiritual or IP issues. Rather than create a new thread, I was lazy...they were tengential at best, so I'm sorry for that.
I like that idea of the teflon mind and think it's in the proper spirit for budo...what little I can be said to understand of it, anyway. Picking your battles; deciding which things to cling to and which to let go of can be very subtle and often are under-appreciated. Aikiweb often serves as a good reminder for me in this...even though I probably often forget it.
Sincerely,
Matthew
Hi Matthew.
You are one of the least guilty and I too am guilty. It's interesting how we can be led or even get carried away ourselves at times.

I found it fascinating when asked to answer questions which are off topic and yet feeling it's rude not to but this also leads to more and more off topic.

A very important part of Ki Aikido for example is leading Ki or leading the mind and so it is on here too. Good practice for staying centred and 'immovable mind' etc. I would say.

Peace.G.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #87
Chris Parkerson
United_States

As for me, I apologize to you as well.
And as for this thread, I would like to know...
Were you only intending to focus on your Spiritual Aikido or were you inviting others to share their experience of Spirit as well?

Best Regards,

Chris

Old 06-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #88
C. David Henderson
United_States

This bears upon empathy and, I believe, aikido:

http://www.ted.com/talks/vs_ramachan...ilization.html

David Henderson

Old 06-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #89
graham christian
England

Quote:
Were you only intending to focus on your Spiritual Aikido or were you inviting others to share their experience of Spirit as well?

Best Regards,

Chris
Hi Chris. I think that other thread did quite well really considering. There have been much worse.

Good question though. I would love to hear any spiritual perspectives especially in relation to Aikido and principles thereof.

I'm not really into 'argument' but more into sharing so feel free.

I use the principle of acceptance and relate it to centre as you may well have read before. Thus I see 'argument' more as a lazy mind activity rather than constructive communication or debate. Argument tends for the most part to lack acceptance and therefor those who continually do so lack centre. This is all part of my Aikido and way for example.

Peace.G.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #90
Tom Verhoeven
France

Quote:

Best Regards,

Chris
That is a really good suggestion!
Tom

Old 06-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #91
Tom Verhoeven
France

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Hi Chris. I think that other thread did quite well really considering. There have been much worse.

Good question though. I would love to hear any spiritual perspectives especially in relation to Aikido and principles thereof.

I'm not really into 'argument' but more into sharing so feel free.

I use the principle of acceptance and relate it to centre as you may well have read before. Thus I see 'argument' more as a lazy mind activity rather than constructive communication or debate. Argument tends for the most part to lack acceptance and therefor those who continually do so lack centre. This is all part of my Aikido and way for example.

Peace.G.
Graham,
Sounds like a good suggestion to me. Perhaps you should formulate some clear rules? I too would like to hear others spiritual perspective in relation to Aikido. But would prefer to see it without judgement and debate.

Tom

Old 06-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #92
Tom Verhoeven
France

Quote:
I just slept on what I wrote:

You might want to begin with
Abrams: becoming Animal
Then Derrick Jensens'
"A Language Older Than Words"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1931498555

Then
Peter Kingsley
A Story Waiting to Pierce You: Mongolia, Tibet and the Destiny of the Western World
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1890350214

If you want to be shaken to the core.

Chris
Chris,
Thank you very much for this booklist. I read Black Elk, but the other names are all new to me.
I am intrigued by the idea of tribal memory. It fits in with my own experiences, but did not know that there were texts available on that subject. Ecology, living in and with nature is important to me, even more so since I moved to France. But the link with shamanism is harder too find here, I think.

I think you have set me on a new track.

Thanks!

Gassho,

Tom

Old 06-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #93
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:
Chris,
Thank you very much for this booklist. I read Black Elk, but the other names are all new to me.
I am intrigued by the idea of tribal memory. It fits in with my own experiences, but did not know that there were texts available on that subject. Ecology, living in and with nature is important to me, even more so since I moved to France. But the link with shamanism is harder too find here, I think.

I think you have set me on a new track.

Thanks!

Gassho,

Tom
If you can, go to Chartres Cathedral on July 1-7. You can meet probably 70 shamans there. This cathedral is built upon ley lines and with a very strict sacred geometry. They will be studying sacred Astronomica this summer. Many of the leaders are dowsers and such. The energy will literally be bouncing off the walls during that week.

Jim Garrison, Will Taegel and Andrew harvey will definitely be there. I have to miss it.

https://www.wisdomuniversity.org/ChartresOverview.htm

or Avebury, UK June 23-29.
https://www.wisdomuniversity.org/AveburyOverview.htm

Be Well,

Chris

Old 06-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #94
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Heaven and earth

Earth

There is so much talk these days about being grounded in the martial traditions. All the while, we wear shoes that most likely have rubber soles and walk on fabricated slabs of concrete suspended in office high rises. We sit in chairs with our feet barely touching the ground. We ride in cars that roll so fast upon the roads that we cannot sense the changes of micro-climate, texture or smell along the road. We fly in airplanes that shield us from any sense of grounding. And we sleep in beds elevated on four posts. It is very rare that we take the time to dig our toes into the earth and feel gravity do its thing.

That gravitational force that holds us to the ground was once called “Eros”. Perhaps it is the natural desire of our body to caress the ground that inspired the Greek cosmologists to name it that way. And perhaps we all give assent to this model when we say we “fall in love” as if we cannot resist the force of gravity.

But earth does not take without giving back. Neither I nor the earth is an object in this interplay. Feminist writers have often shown us how, even in our language, we have etched a fear-based objectification of all things animate and inanimate. Consider the sentence, “I make love to this woman”. “I” is the subject. “Make love” is the verb. “To this woman” is the object. This one sentence encompasses thousands of years of domination and patriarchy, as if someone is objectified as the “other” you can do violence to them.

Not so with the earth. Once I learn and respect the nature of earth, she and I are subjects engaging in interplay. She is the greater force, but not one to be feared. We engage in Eros together, as partners. She returns her essence through me as I surrender my weight to her. And if I remain structurally sound, her gifts can move through me and can be directed by my intention.

This kind of relationship cannot be reductionist. You cannot just quote Newton and say, “you push on the earth and the earth pushes back.” Hans Gadamer, perhaps, found the better metaphor. It is the interplay between two subjects. We make love together. I learn from her like she is my mother. When I sleep, I melt into her and receive healing. There is no need to push on her as would an impatient child clamoring to get a response from an adult. Her response comes naturally. And when it comes, if we are patient, the energies and momentums flow through us to perform work, to heal and to respond to aggression.

Touching Heaven

Earth is dwarfed by the heavens. And within the heavens, there are multitudes of planets and suns that, like the earth, pull upon me with Eros. They elongate me and massage my upper torso as they lift my frame. Indeed, I would be flung into the arms of heaven if it was not for the earth also caressing me. We develop the perfect ménage-a-trois.

My breath fills the bellows of my lungs as I am lifted. My crown point naturally aligns directly over my perineum. My pelvic girdle relaxes and tucks. My belly button sinks towards my spine and as I exhale, my whole frontal centerline sinks along with it; deeper and deeper into my spine. The pressure feels like a balloon within a balloon as I breath again.

As the heavens and I love, I find that they, too, are generous. Energy pours down into me as if I were an erect antenna and fuses with the energy of the earth.
I constrict my muscles as heavenly, earthly and my own energy flows and moves as a forward rotating ball within my lower belly. The mixture moves into my limbs and presses it into my bones with each flexion as if I was bathing in a bath of elixir. The elixir streams down and through my organs, sometimes like a subtle effervescence.

As I work, the process occurs naturally, my two lovers ever-present and never tiring. And as I give them my attention, they awaken my spine and limbs. My organs are filled with supple joy. Who would refuse such surrender as the ebb and flow of their tides cause the boundaries of my body to become nebulous. Where do I end and where do my lovers begin?

I invite my human partner into this flow. It is tantric. We test the stability of each other’s antenna, toppling and somersaulting as we grin. There is no adversary. There are only molecules dancing. Clumps of molecules and atoms; cells, together, creating form. And forms moving, dancing, and at play and in harmony.

I see an aggressor intruding into this flow. But he is pushing upon the earth and avoiding the heavens. His antenna is kinked at the base. Blending in this relationship is without contention. No fear, no emotion, no harm. I offer love, but as he presses, I offer weight to his unstable frame and the earth receives him. I whisper into his ear that he should remain there and be healed for a while. The earth wants to make love with him too. So do the heavens.

Lovingly,

Chris

Last edited by Chris Parkerson : 06-21-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #95
graham christian
England

Quote:
Heaven and earth

Earth

There is so much talk these days about being grounded in the martial traditions. All the while, we wear shoes that most likely have rubber soles and walk on fabricated slabs of concrete suspended in office high rises. We sit in chairs with our feet barely touching the ground. We ride in cars that roll so fast upon the roads that we cannot sense the changes of micro-climate, texture or smell along the road. We fly in airplanes that shield us from any sense of grounding. And we sleep in beds elevated on four posts. It is very rare that we take the time to dig our toes into the earth and feel gravity do its thing.

That gravitational force that holds us to the ground was once called “Eros”. Perhaps it is the natural desire of our body to caress the ground that inspired the Greek cosmologists to name it that way. And perhaps we all give assent to this model when we say we “fall in love” as if we cannot resist the force of gravity.

But earth does not take without giving back. Neither I nor the earth is an object in this interplay. Feminist writers have often shown us how, even in our language, we have etched a fear-based objectification of all things animate and inanimate. Consider the sentence, “I make love to this woman”. “I” is the subject. “Make love” is the verb. “To this woman” is the object. This one sentence encompasses thousands of years of domination and patriarchy, as if someone is objectified as the “other” you can do violence to them.

Not so with the earth. Once I learn and respect the nature of earth, she and I are subjects engaging in interplay. She is the greater force, but not one to be feared. We engage in Eros together, as partners. She returns her essence through me as I surrender my weight to her. And if I remain structurally sound, her gifts can move through me and can be directed by my intention.

This kind of relationship cannot be reductionist. You cannot just quote Newton and say, “you push on the earth and the earth pushes back.” Hans Gadamer, perhaps, found the better metaphor. It is the interplay between two subjects. We make love together. I learn from her like she is my mother. When I sleep, I melt into her and receive healing. There is no need to push on her as would an impatient child clamoring to get a response from an adult. Her response comes naturally. And when it comes, if we are patient, the energies and momentums flow through us to perform work, to heal and to respond to aggression.

Touching Heaven

Earth is dwarfed by the heavens. And within the heavens, there are multitudes of planets and suns that, like the earth, pull upon me with Eros. They elongate me and massage my upper torso as they lift my frame. Indeed, I would be flung into the arms of heaven if it was not for the earth also caressing me. We develop the perfect ménage-a-trois.

My breath fills the bellows of my lungs as I am lifted. My crown point naturally aligns directly over my perineum. My pelvic girdle relaxes and tucks. My belly button sinks towards my spine and as I exhale, my whole frontal centerline sinks along with it; deeper and deeper into my spine. The pressure feels like a balloon within a balloon as I breath again.

As the heavens and I love, I find that they, too, are generous. Energy pours down into me as if I were an erect antenna and fuses with the energy of the earth.
I constrict my muscles as heavenly, earthly and my own energy flows and moves as a forward rotating ball within my lower belly. The mixture moves into my limbs and presses it into my bones with each flexion as if I was bathing in a bath of elixir. The elixir streams down and through my organs, sometimes like a subtle effervescence.

As I work, the process occurs naturally, my two lovers ever-present and never tiring. And as I give them my attention, they awaken my spine and limbs. My organs are filled with supple joy. Who would refuse such surrender as the ebb and flow of their tides cause the boundaries of my body to become nebulous. Where do I end and where do my lovers begin?

I invite my human partner into this flow. It is tantric. We test the stability of each other’s antenna, toppling and somersaulting as we grin. There is no adversary. There are only molecules dancing. Clumps of molecules and atoms; cells, together, creating form. And forms moving, dancing, and at play and in harmony.

I see an aggressor intruding into this flow. But he is pushing upon the earth and avoiding the heavens. His antenna is kinked at the base. Blending in this relationship is without contention. No fear, no emotion, no harm. I offer love, but as he presses, I offer weight to his unstable frame and the earth receives him. I whisper into his ear that he should remain there and be healed for a while. The earth wants to make love with him too. So do the heavens.

Lovingly,

Chris
That's very good writing....it flows and breathes with the subject. Quite a talent and a great read, thanks.

Tom, I don't think I could make rules as such for the rules of the forum are enough I think and I don't want to control what people should or shouldn't say. However Chris's post above gave me an idea of writing kind of spiritually descriptive and even poetic about my experience of Aikido. Mmmm. Interesting.

Peace.G.

Last edited by graham christian : 06-21-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #96
graham christian
England

Earth

Gravity, that all powerful attraction. I meet it by learning to let go of the body. All part of non-attatchment.

The base of the spine opens like a doorway as I become one with mother nature and enter the void. Faith joins in. Faith like a great bowl below the earth and this I call Koshi. Koshi and the void from which mother nature gives all.

I feel the river, I become the river, I feel the rocks, I become the rocks, I feel any part of mother nature I become that part, the body joins in. Infinite capacity. Feel the wind and flow.

The home of the soul and as I go to bed and sink into the mattress Koshi opens and soul goes home to rest and I sink into koshi, the void.

As I do Aikido the void of koshi receives any and everything any opponent offers into nothingness and gives back nothing, that nothing which joins them to gravity and returns them to mother nature. It is not a ton weight it is merely an opening to koshi, a meeting with mother nature, a reminder of part of their true self and the universe.

Each move is a lesson. A reminder of their own potential and divinity. A wake up call. An invite.

The energy of mother nature floods through the body for it comes from her and it returns to her and so it is I who am the borrower engaged in this this universal existence and the magic of life.

Each day and each night is Aikido.

Peace.G.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #97
DH
United_States

As I step on the mat...I take apart everyone who thinks like the above examples .......I thank good training, not mother earth, eros, father sky...or anything else that essentially does not one meaningful thing to help those followimg such paths.....
To remain vertical.
Dan

Old 06-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #98
Chris Knight
England

Quote:
As I step on the mat...I take apart everyone who thinks like the above examples .......I thank good training, not mother earth, eros, father sky...or anything else that essentially does not one meaningful thing to help those followimg such paths.....
To remain vertical.
Dan
amen

Old 06-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #99
woudew
Dojo: Seikokan
Netherlands

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
To remain vertical.
Dan
Not even Eros?

o wait, thats not vertical, more ....................

Old 06-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #100
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Death Haiku for Spiritual Aikido

Words, Just Empty Words
No Depth, No Spirit, No Use
Uncle Darwin Smiles

Marc Abrams

Closed Thread