Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-25-2002, 07:24 AM   #1
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Smile confilct of religion?

maybe this should be in the spiritual section but.

Has anybody had any issues with aikido and its practices compared to what their culture/religion/morals dictate?

interesting question eh?

As a pagen i have no qualms at all bowing to the gods 'Kamiza' actualy pagen religion is all about honouring our elders and ancestors anyway so aikido is kewl in that way Eushiba was indeed a great man.

lemme know
pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 07-25-2002, 08:48 AM   #2
akiy

For one example of such, see the currently hotly debated thread, "Jewish issue" here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...&threadid=2242

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-25-2002, 01:56 PM   #3
Mona
Re: confilct of religion?

Pete,

I'm Pagan myself and have never had issues with the spiritual etiquette of Aikido.

However, at our dojo, one particular aikidoka left because, as a Moslim, he couldn't "cope with the so-called etiquette."

The other Mulsim student is still training but he barely "reis" during the opening and closing ceremonies, and doesn't bow at all to Sensei.

P.S.: What's with the 'pagen', 'kewl' and 'Eushiba'??

Last edited by Mona : 07-25-2002 at 01:59 PM.

blessings,

~ Mona
Old 07-25-2002, 05:31 PM   #4
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
Pete...religion and spirituality, not the same thing in my book. Spirituality is your oneness with all; religion is what makes people crazy when they band together. Just my take. What's in your heart? Peace...

~~Paula~~
Old 07-26-2002, 06:53 AM   #5
Rev_Sully
I'm very happy this is an independent topic now. I condsider myself an amateur theologian and love robust and positive conversation about spirituality, world religions and the sort.

I love O-Sensei's quote here from "Memoir from the Master":

"When anybody asks is my Aiki budo principles are taken from religion, I say "No." My true budo principles enlighten religions and lead them to completion."

http://www.aikiweb.com/general/memoir.html

I feel this is true, not just for Aikido but for any budo. That this is a Universal truth. A martial discipline will help in a religious endevour.

I myself am not religious but am a Spiritualist. I am an ordained minister of a Universal Faith "church". I find that the philosophy of Aikido is one of many paths to seek Enlightenment and it is very steeped in common sense.

I consider dojo to be a sacred place; outside of the secular and profane world. I respect the Japanese culture and tradition. It's so different from my American culture. I find dojo culture to be equally fascinating. This is all new to me and I welcome it with open hands and arms.

I can only find conflict of religion and Aikido if the Aikidoka chooses to bring religion into dojo with them. I do not think there is violation of religion in practicing Aikido because dojo is a sacred space unto itself and the Aikidoka assumes resonsibilty for assimilating a different culture in order to learn. Can one learn Aikido without the culture...it becomes a bit "perverted" if so. It becomes purely a self-defense class. The spiritual aspect of Aikido is for me its greatest strength. All lessons learned on the mat are philosophical.

It's all a matter of learning "MASAKATSU AGATSU".

This is all IMHO, BTW.

"He who knows best knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-26-2002, 07:05 AM   #6
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Talking

Hehehe

sorry Pagen is my idea of spelling

Pagan

Kewl is what it says its the local spelling of said Cool when you say it out loud it is different kinda but means the same thing

and it should be Ueshiba hehehe

otherwise erm, i've never viewed any religious conflicts so just really asking peeps

nice to know there is another pagan aikidoka out there tho, nice not to be alone

Btw have you ever been called a 'devil worshiper' or something similar and was it by a priest?

pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 07-27-2002, 04:09 PM   #7
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Pagans are also a group in NJ who are a motorcycle gang, most of who are either in jail, dead, or mainstreamed because of stricter drug and alcohol laws.

The people with the lowest thoughts and dirtiest minds are those who find the most fault with others religious or moral principles.

Maybe we should have burned the accusers instead of the witches in the Salem, MA, witch trials?
Old 08-13-2002, 11:57 AM   #8
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
There is discussion also going on at the aiki journal website on this topic