Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-20-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
fullerfury
Dojo: North County Aikikai
United_States
Free Applet for Gathering Attendance

Hello.

I am thinking of creating an applet to be used on my website, and potentially available for others to download for their own sites.

The app would:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record member information and allow for searching on dojo members.

Allow dojo members to track their hours.

Report on hours logged since a certain date.

Report on hours logged since last test date.

Give estimate for number of weeks until minimum testing hours/time have been completed
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would anyone be interested in something like this for their dojo's website?

Any other requirements you might want this kind of tool to perform?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Garrett Fuller
http://aikidosuimei.com
Old 01-20-2005, 01:03 PM   #2
Niamh Marie O'Leary-Liu
Dojo: Aikido of Ramapo Valley
United_States
Re: Free Applet for Gathering Attendance

Garrett,

As administrator assisting in record keeping and such for my dojo, I think it's a pain in the butt to deal with a purely paper system. Your idea sounds terrific.

I would also like to see your program with additional parts for:
- when students pay their dues (what date of the month their dues are due),
-what dues system they are on (we have different payment scales),
-how much was their last payment, and
-when is the next payment due.

I've created Excel worksheets on these but, as we are hopefully soon to have a website, a program like yours would be infinitely better.

Regards,
NMO'L

Speak softly and carry a big jo.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #3
fullerfury
United_States

Thanks for the input Niamh. BTW...my father lives down in St. Thomas although I have not been to visit him in 15 years or so... I will have to make a trip to visit your dojo...and oh...to visit my dad too!

-Garrett
Old 01-20-2005, 01:44 PM   #4
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Since I am the computer equivalent to a chimp that's discovered fire I have no idea what an Applet is. However, the features you describe sound great. I would definitely be interested.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #5
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
Since I am the computer equivalent to a chimp that's discovered fire I have no idea what an Applet is. However, the features you describe sound great. I would definitely be interested. Bronson
Ditto.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:14 PM   #6
fullerfury
United_States

An applet is a Java application capable of being run within a browser... an applet is attractive because it could easily be bundled and reused and run from another dojo's website. Just change the back end database connection and username/password properties and pretty much it is ready to roll. I could provide sql scripts to set up the database tables, or I could have the app save data to the file system in xml format: or both.

-Garrett
Old 01-21-2005, 02:27 AM   #7
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

This is what you say.

Quote:
Garrett Fuller wrote:
An applet is a Java application capable of being run within a browser... an applet is attractive because it could easily be bundled and reused and run from another dojo's website. Just change the back end database connection and username/password properties and pretty much it is ready to roll. I could provide sql scripts to set up the database tables, or I could have the app save data to the file system in xml format: or both.
This is what I hear in my brain.

An applet is a Java application capable of being run within a browser... an applet is attraBLAHBLAHBLIGGEDYBLAHBLAHBLAHBLIGGEDYBLAHBLAHBLAHBLIGGEDYBLAHBLAHBLAHBLIGGED YBLAHBLAHBLAHBLIGGEDYBLAHmonkeysarecoolandweirdBLAHBLAHBLIGGEDYBLAHBLAHBLAHBLIGG EDYBLAHheyIcanfitapennyinmynoseBLAHBLAHBLIGGEDYBLAH

I'll take your word on all that stuff as it makes my innards twitch just thinking about it.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-21-2005, 08:07 AM   #8
fullerfury
United_States

Yeah...it makes my stomach turn sometimes too...
Old 01-21-2005, 08:12 AM   #9
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan

Ok in other words an applet is a webpage that does stuff!

thats pretty much all the end user (uhm thats you) need to know about it
Old 01-21-2005, 09:55 AM   #10
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Garret,

Koodos (sp?) to you for sharing with others in need...like myself and Niamh.
After some informal polling of our members, they said they would appreciate an email reminding them of how much they owe, and even a bi-weekly "Your last payment of X-dollars was received on Y-date. Remember, your next payment is due by Z."
Good luck!

Old 01-21-2005, 06:29 PM   #11
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan

Hey Garrett sounds like your little applet is slowly becoming a full application (if you implement all the suggestions). At one point I was thinking about doing something similar for my dojo(s) but never got the motive to do it... after all I'm doing that type stuff at work ... Good luck man!
Old 01-21-2005, 09:26 PM   #12
Jill N
Dojo: K-W Ki Aikido (Kitchener, Ont)
Canada

YBLAHmonkeysarecoolandweirdBLAHBLAHBLIGGEDYBLAHBLA HBLAHBLIGGEDYBLAHheyIcanfitapennyinmynoseBLAHBLAHB

penny in your nose? look out sinuses, incoming copper!

lol
e ya later
Jill.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:46 PM   #13
Michael Young

Dojo: Alamo City Aikido
Lightbulb Re: Free Applet for Gathering Attendance

I like the idea, it sounds like a bit of work though! So good luck and thanks for the offer of sharing it with others, very generous of you.

For those of you still in the dark ages of physically collecting checks and (gasp) cash from your members , I have a suggestion for you. Our dojo uses a company called AAC (Affiliated Acceptance Corp) that collects our monthly dues for us. The fees are very reasonable, and even a small dojo can make use of it. Our dojo is only about 40 members right now, 25 adults and 15 children, and we have been using this system since shortly after we started. When a member joins they fill out a form for AAC automated payment. The payment is either drafted directly from their checking account, credit card, or they are sent a monthly bill which they must then pay directly to AAC. There are varying fees for each payment type: checking draft being the cheapest -a few cents; then credit card -a small percentage of the dues amount collected; then the billing option -about $2.50 per month ( as incentive to use a checking draft or credit card, we charge our members a $5 service fee for using the billing option, since the other two options are cheaper for the dojo, and there is no danger of them forgetting to send in a payment). Once a month, the money is then deposited directly into the Dojo's bank account. Our entire account with AAC is available and accessible online, and we can adjust, change, and stop member payments at any time with the click of the mouse. This system has worked wonders for our administrative folks and members alike: we don't have to worry about late dues (and thus not making our rent), we don't have to hassle members about whether they have payed their monthly dues, the members don't have to worry about remembering to pay, accounting is very easy, and no more taking checks and cash from the dojo and running to the bank to deposit them constantly. I highly recommend checking into this, it makes your life sooo much easier regarding the financial upkeep of the dojo (I know, I was treasure at a dojo for 6 years, and am very familiar with all of the hassles and headaches of collecting and keeping up with the money). AAC is not the only company doing automated payment systems, it is just the one we happen to use. I'm sure just doing a web search will turn up quite a few more to compare.

I hope that helps some folks out there...particularly you volunteer treasurers.

Mike