Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #26
JW

Re: Discussing different aspects of aiki

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
strange though, that the aiki term, as an asian, i understand it at an instinctive level, i.e. didn't even have to think too much about it, like breathing.
And as a half-asian, I understand the 'ki' part but the 'ai' part makes no sense! Is the ki side-by-side, or end-to-end?? Being a hapa is confusing.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #27
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

Quote:
Dave de Vos wrote: View Post
I know science does not know everything there is to know and it probably never will. But it is the best match with my beliefs and disbeliefs, my gut feeling about which phenomena are probably real and which phenomena probably aren't. No proof.
All of which is fine as long as you remember that science is perfectly comfortable with phenomena which it has no adequate theory to explain. In fact, that's what gets a scientist up in the morning.

It's also the case that the interaction between mind and body is something that no good theory exists for. Every sporting endeavor has visualizations that are used to train the right body movement, and often these visualizations make no scientific sense. But they work.

Make a theory for that.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #28
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
All of which is fine as long as you remember that science is perfectly comfortable with phenomena which it has no adequate theory to explain. In fact, that's what gets a scientist up in the morning.

It's also the case that the interaction between mind and body is something that no good theory exists for. Every sporting endeavor has visualizations that are used to train the right body movement, and often these visualizations make no scientific sense. But they work.

Make a theory for that.
I think visualisations are very valuable, because they are a means to semi-consciously convey your intent to your body when consciously having your motor cortex ordering detailed muscle contraction patterns is too complicated or even impossible to do.

But I would not adhere much reality to the content of these visualisations.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #29
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

Quote:
this is to contrast with the spiritual and mental. physical aiki, regardless external and/or internal, is still physical, something to do with the body. just because you don't see it, internal, doesn't mean it's not a physical process. for me physical aiki, isn't just internal only, it's both. strange though, that the aiki term, as an asian, i understand it at an instinctive level, i.e. didn't even have to think too much about it, like breathing.
As a non-asian living in Asia married into an asian family, I "think" I know what you and Jonathan mean, but could you try and explain what you understand at an instinctive level?

On the science/belief front, has anyone heard about a concept called "Darwinian medicine"? It's an interesting attempt to medically explain how things like acupuncture etc might work.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #30
oisin bourke

Ireland

Quote:
Dave de Vos wrote: View Post
I think visualisations are very valuable, because they are a means to semi-consciously convey your intent to your body when consciously having your motor cortex ordering detailed muscle contraction patterns is too complicated or even impossible to do.

But I would not adhere much reality to the content of these visualisations.
I'm being a bit mischievous here, but for fun: Iisn't this too a visualisation?
Old 06-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #31
jester

United_States

Spiritual aiki = We used to call them hippies
Mental aiki = That was when you avoided the bully in middle school
Technical aiki = Aikido
Internal aiki = See Technical aiki

-It seems to be all about semantics!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #32
JW

Quote:
Oisin Bourke wrote: View Post
I "think" I know what you and Jonathan mean
Uh oh, now you better say what you thought I meant, because I was totally joking!
(I thought Phi was too.)
Old 06-23-2011, 05:17 AM   #33
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Jonathan Wong wrote: View Post
Uh oh, now you better say what you thought I meant, because I was totally joking!
(I thought Phi was too.)
i was half-n-half.

the word ki/chi and similar term permeated most asian language, i.e. it's part of the culture. we used the term constantly and to describe many thing that of gaseous nature, blood flow, energy flow, weather, and so on and so forth. the "ai" portion is somewhat strange. in many context it's love, passion, compassion, and so on. it has many shade of meaning. we also used the term regularly as part of the language and culture. in the martial art context, combining with ki, which has the chinese equivalent of huajin or the vietnamese equivalent of "hoa khi" (ki = khi in vietnamese). aiki is about balance as in yin-yang balance. balance of the opposite. balancing of up and down, of hot and cold, of man and woman, of meat and vegetable, of love and hate, and so on and so forth. the idea permeate the asian normal lives, what they eat, what they wear, how they layout the garden, how they prepare a meal. we grew up with it. it becomes instinctive. it's hard to describe in the western culture sense. something just doesn't translate.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:32 AM   #34
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post

Make a theory for that.
They make perfect sense to me. Theoretically and scientifically.

Regards.G.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #35
oisin bourke

Ireland

Quote:
i was half-n-half.

the word ki/chi and similar term permeated most asian language, i.e. it's part of the culture. we used the term constantly and to describe many thing that of gaseous nature, blood flow, energy flow, weather, and so on and so forth. the "ai" portion is somewhat strange. in many context it's love, passion, compassion, and so on. it has many shade of meaning. we also used the term regularly as part of the language and culture. in the martial art context, combining with ki, which has the chinese equivalent of huajin or the vietnamese equivalent of "hoa khi" (ki = khi in vietnamese). aiki is about balance as in yin-yang balance. balance of the opposite. balancing of up and down, of hot and cold, of man and woman, of meat and vegetable, of love and hate, and so on and so forth. the idea permeate the asian normal lives, what they eat, what they wear, how they layout the garden, how they prepare a meal. we grew up with it. it becomes instinctive. it's hard to describe in the western culture sense. something just doesn't translate.
Well, thanks for saving half my blushes .

The closest thing in English I can think of is the ancient medical theory of the humors. It's where we get the word/concept "humor" obviously, plus words like "liverish" "phlegmatic" "full of bile" etc, and it's all over classical English literature. I think words like "Ki" and "aiki" are similar but encompass natural states as well as emotional ones.

Maybe.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:35 AM   #36
guest1234567
Spain

Hi Dave,
There are lots of different thought of people expressed here and of course I respect every of them.
But I like very much and agree with O'Sensei's doka of today:
You must realize this!
Aiki cannot be captured with the brush,
Nor can it be expressed with the mouth.
And so it is that one must proceed
To realization.

- Morihei Ueshiba