Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-22-2004, 02:15 PM   #1
gasman

Dojo: Sunyata
thief in the dojo

One of our instructors was collecting money for a present to bring to japan next week and left an envelope where the students could leave their contributions. Over the weekend, all the money went missing. There has not been a single instance of theft in the dojo ever before, so this is rather sad for us.

Has anyone experienced this? What is a good way to deal with it?

There were noone from outside the dojo present so it must be one of the students... Although we have a suspicion it is hard to point a finger when you are not 100% certain.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:30 PM   #2
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: thief in the dojo

Your signature line says it all.......

Are you sure that no visitors, deliverymen, vendors came by?

This is an unfortunately incident and probably won't be repeated once the thief, if a student, sees the pall his actions have brought into the dojo. Don't let it make you cynical, but don't bring valuables to class and invest in locks. Like your signature line, there is an old adage that "Locks keep honest boys honest."

I hope you find the envelope behind something where it was misplaced. Trust is like virginity.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 04-22-2004, 02:36 PM   #3
gasman

envelope was still there, but empty.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:43 PM   #4
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States

I've never experienced anything like this at all, but we have a pretty small group. I remember that one time I was looking up the Shobukan dojo and info on D.C. Aikido and I ran accross something that really upset me. I found a plea for help on a webpage, trying to locate Soatome Shihan's sword that someone had stolen at a seminar or get-together. Can you imagine that? The webpage said that this was a sword that he had trained with every day, and it also described the sword as a real antique blade. That made me very sad to hear. Everyone at that seminar would have had to know who he was, and maybe they didn't know whose sword it was, but who else would have that sword there?

I suppose that there will always be people like that. What can you do? I think it's sad if we have to "watch our backs" so closely but it seems to be the truth.

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait
Old 04-23-2004, 02:39 AM   #5
taras
United Kingdom

Sigurd, I am very sorry to hear about this; I remember when something went missing in my dojo once, it was a shock to find you that someone you train with could steal from another student. In mour case though we were sure no one had access to the changing room, we lock everything including the front door.

Maybe this will sound stupid, sorry, but is it possible to address everyone in the dojo and just say that you hope the money will turn up? Give them a chance to return it, let them leave it some where, where their identity can stay anonymous.

I hope it turns up.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:39 PM   #6
gasman

that's the plan. inshallah it will sort itself out.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:48 PM   #7
David Edwards

Dojo: Genbukan, Macclesfield
United Kingdom

Hmm... reminds me of a story Chiba Sensei having his bokken and jo (still in carrying case) stolen from his car (probably not by an Aikidoka) at a course many years ago... They left his live katana that was also in his car, they didn't notice it, lol. They woulda been sooo dead if Chiba Sensei had caught them braking into his car.... Sorry, a little off topic but an interesting story nevertheless.

It's a kind of magic
Old 04-26-2004, 04:27 PM   #8
mantis

Quote:
gasman wrote:
Although we have a suspicion it is hard to point a finger when you are not 100% certain.
Man, that's an awful thing to have to go through.
Our dojo is very open, and our instructor is very trusting.

His trust has never been taken advantage of, and I'm grateful for this.

Suspicion is one of the worst things to have to deal with.
Someone broke into my car once and stole some stuff. I had a few suspicions as to who it was, and so did my friends. I could have sworn to god that this one guy had taken the stuff.

Come to find out it was someone else that I would have never expected. Not knowing for sure is nerve racking.

I hope you find out who it was!