Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
LuvAikido
Canada
Removing outdated threads

Is there an option to remove old outdated and resolved threads? If there isn't one I think there should be one.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: Removing outdated threads

Quote:
Oksana De Luca wrote: View Post
Is there an option to remove old outdated and resolved threads? If there isn't one I think there should be one.
They can be useful for future readers.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark

Funny coincidence really..
I just posted on social media a personal claim that one of the reasons we sometimes feel alienated in social media is the fact that before (this is true for my own generation perhaps, not new generations I guess) we were allways used to the interaction of our listeners and the way they interpreted our statements, at least on a personal level. What was said would and could be interpreted according to the listeners views and beliefs. Today in social media, we tend to rely on the logic of mass communication. That is communication that leaves noone behind.
Anyway this is just my thoughts on the subject. Merry christmas and a happy newyear to you all.
Lars

Last edited by lars beyer : 12-21-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Christmas
Old 12-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Dave Gallagher
Dojo: Shobukan Dojo, St.Louis
United_States

Any thread should be archived for as long as possible. These can be valuable to people who find the forum in the future long after we are gone. No regular member should be allowed to delete anything.

It is the duty of the strong to protect the weak.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Just as an aside, I've often thought that maybe there should be a time-based limit on new posts. In other words, if a thread is 5 years old since it's last post, maybe lock it down. Suggest to people that if they find an old thread and want to post something, create a new one and reference it. Too often someone will innocently resurrect some odd, silly thread from 8 years prior, not realizing it was that old. If they *really* want to bring it back, okay, put a link in a new one.

But all that said, I don't see this as any sort of major issue one way or another. And I enjoy the subsequent zombie jokes anyway...

Old 12-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

I'm on the side of keeping them. Lots of good info in old threads.

A tip for anyone writing for the Internet (websites, seminar announcements, plain old posts, etc.): Please include the year in mentions of dates. Things like "BigHugeFamous Sensei will be here in March!" or "Join us this summer for a trip to..." can be a problem when someone runs across the post, page, or flyer years down the road.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 12-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
LuvAikido
Canada

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Just as an aside, I've often thought that maybe there should be a time-based limit on new posts. In other words, if a thread is 5 years old since it's last post, maybe lock it down. Suggest to people that if they find an old thread and want to post something, create a new one and reference it. Too often someone will innocently resurrect some odd, silly thread from 8 years prior, not realizing it was that old. If they *really* want to bring it back, okay, put a link in a new one.

But all that said, I don't see this as any sort of major issue one way or another. And I enjoy the subsequent zombie jokes anyway...
Thank you
Old 12-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
Janet Rosen

Who gets to say something is too old or has been resolved? Nope. If you don't want to stand by something publicly, use the anonymous option when posting.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
Krystal Locke
United_States

Perhaps just a little popup note, something like "You are responding to a thread that hasn't been posted to in over 5 years. Do you wish to continue?"
Old 12-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I have an sudden urge to unleash THAT one favorite zombie thread of all times! It has been a while since it came to life!

Old 12-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
I have an sudden urge to unleash THAT one favorite zombie thread of all times! It has been a while since it came to life!
Ah, man, geez, don't do that. Tis the season and all that. If you do that we need a button other than the ignore feature. Yes, we need a THROAT PUNCH button! Yeah... Yeah...

Old 12-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Who gets to say something is too old or has been resolved? Nope. If you don't want to stand by something publicly, use the anonymous option when posting.
Oh, hey, I honestly think it's great the way it is. I do, however, must admit that I sometimes sigh when I see certain threads lurch back to life... Hmmm, maybe an "ignore thread" button... Seriously, it's fine the way it is. Pros and cons to everything. And frankly I think Jun does a great job considering the situations that arise are sometimes lose/lose. So right or wrong he has to make a choice and some group will get their undies in a knot.

So on that note... How many here donate a few coins yearly to Jun for giving us this sandbox to toss stuff at each other?

Old 12-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
So on that note... How many here donate a few coins yearly to Jun for giving us this sandbox to toss stuff at each other?
Those of us with a little gold star by our names are supporting subscribers!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
Keith Larman
United_States

Hmm, which must mean mine's expired. Or maybe when I cancelled my recurring paypal due to a problem with my password... Hmmm, gotta look in to that...

Old 12-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Those of us with a little gold star by our names are supporting subscribers!
Janet… Thanks for the reminder…
Old 12-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark

In real life there are no ignore buttons.. so why should there be any ignoring buttons on the internet.. it´s like living behind a fence.
Happy newyear folks.
Lars

Last edited by lars beyer : 12-30-2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: newyear
Old 12-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
jvon

The forum only goes back about ten or twelve years, because the site had a major, irretrievable hardware failure in the early 2000s, in which all previous discussions and all user accounts were lost. What I mean to say is: none of the discussions here are particularly outdated.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #18
akiy

Quote:
Joel Vonnahme wrote: View Post
The forum only goes back about ten or twelve years, because the site had a major, irretrievable hardware failure in the early 2000s, in which all previous discussions and all user accounts were lost.
Uhhh... No.

The AikiWeb Forums started up on June 5, 2000. There are still posts dating back to that day available here. (AikiWeb itself has been up and running since August, 1997; we just didn't have a forums section until 2000.)

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!