Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > "Off-The-Mat"

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-17-2005, 10:43 PM   #1
John Matsushima

United_States
What is a benefit specifically of Aikido

I have spoken with many people who have told me how Aikido has made their life better. Examples have included more self-control, learning to respect others, more self-confidence, and feeling better physically and these are all great benefits to students of budo. My question is, what are some examples of benefits derived specifically from Aikido, and not just from Budo in general? What lessons are there to be learned about life from Aikido that would be different from other types of Budo, such as karate or ju-jutsu?

-John Matsushima

My blog on Japanese culture
http://onecorneroftheplanetinjapan.blogspot.jp/
Old 10-17-2005, 11:48 PM   #2
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: What is a benefit specifically of Aikido

Aiki.
Aikido is the only martial art that I know of that specifically teaches Aiki.

-Chris Hein
Old 10-18-2005, 12:01 AM   #3
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Well there is Daito-ryu and other related arts.

Some say the Ju of Judo is pretty Aiki-ish. Certainly Kito-ryu (one of the root arts of Judo) used the term.

Aiki was originally a kenjutus term.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 10-18-2005, 01:52 AM   #4
ChrisHein

United_States

Yeah Yeah Yeah, got to rain on my parade peter! hahahah

-Chris
Old 10-18-2005, 01:58 AM   #5
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Laughs.

I know and I feel bad about it.

Still I am of the opinion that Aikido offers nothing that can't be gotten elsewhere. A bit reactionary I realize but I've just had too many of "self congratulatory" descriptions of what Aikido is to let it go.

That and I was hungry.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 10-18-2005, 07:43 AM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, Aikido is a tool that can benefit in how one uses it. But, specifically and exclusively, its only a tool. There is nothing special about Aikido unless you use the tool wisely.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:23 AM   #7
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

Im not sure what it is about aikido that attracts people to it so much. My sensei has trained in tons of martial arts. He had a black belt in judo and in some form of karate and he also was a 3rd degree brown belt in shaolin... but he said when he found aikido he liked it more than any other martial art he had ever done, and aikido is the only one that he teaches today.

Even when i just show some of my friends a few simple joint locks they are like "whoa! i wanna do aikido" lol You would think that people would be more impressed by some shaolin kicks over their head but they really arent.

its funny, i dont know what it is about aikido ... but i know its a great martial art and theres nothing else out there thats like it.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:02 AM   #8
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Not a lot of competition in aikido (most of the time ). I like that. I loved playing soccer in high school, but it brought out the monster in me. I like the cooperative aspect of aikido; it's not so much about competition. I like trying to rise to the level of sempai while giving a hand up to kohai. My worst nights at the dojo might have resulted in injury, but not sadness over a lost game. My dojo is a positive place.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 10-18-2005, 10:10 AM   #9
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
Well there is Daito-ryu and other related arts.

Some say the Ju of Judo is pretty Aiki-ish. Certainly Kito-ryu (one of the root arts of Judo) used the term.

Aiki was originally a kenjutus term.
Yes and no. Morihei Ueshiba stated repeatedly that his "aiki" was different from "aiki" as used previously. In books like "Takemusu Aiki" it seems to me that he was saying that the difference is that "aiki", which is a technical principle in arts like Daito-ryu, is expanded to a "philosophical" principle in Aikido. In other words, that the technical principle related to physical interaction between the attacker and attacked changed (or was extrapolated) into a principle related to the interaction with other people on an individual and societal level. In that sense, you could say that Aikido is the only art that teaches "aiki" on both a technical and a philosophical level (at least, ideally).

That Aikido may not offer anything that isn't available elsewhere is, IMO, not all that relevant. There is nothing, at one level, in a chicken that doesn't exist in a dog, but that doesn't mean that they are equivalent.

Best,

Chris

Old 10-18-2005, 12:43 PM   #10
ChrisHein

United_States

Aikido seems magical to someone who hasent had to do Ikkyo 10,000 times, maybe that attracts people. Also have you ever noticed how many fat people do Aikido, why does Aikido attract so many fat people?

-Chris Hein

Last edited by ChrisHein : 10-18-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:57 PM   #11
Camille Lore
Dojo: Lehigh Fukasakai
United_States

..I think I get fat when I do Aikido... maybe it's just all that ki storing up at my one point!

Seriously though, I have used aikido esp. recently as a way to get myself back on track when I am incredibly stressed. A little while of ki excercises, jo kata and such in the woods restores me to balance and keeps me more centered to deal with conflict, confrontation, etc. A came from a very stressful, confrontational meeting tonight - my reaction to stress without balance is to lose my temper. I was able to remain calm and unflappable, which is quite and accomplishment for me. Tomorrow night, I'll be at the dojo so I can get more centered and hopefully avoid a nervous breakdown!
Old 10-19-2005, 02:52 PM   #12
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Pursuant to aikido's Procrustes, John Stevens

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote:
That Aikido may not offer anything that isn't available elsewhere is, IMO, not all that relevant. There is nothing, at one level, in a chicken that doesn't exist in a dog, but that doesn't mean that they are equivalent.
LOL.

Man, I'm gonna steal tha...quote that big time.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 10-22-2005, 04:41 AM   #13
Anat Amitay
Dojo: Nes- Ziona, "the red house"
Israel

Like you said, there are certain things many MA's give on a personal level.
For me Aikido has helped out with dealing with everyday stuff that can happen.
For example- I slipped on a wet floor, and instinctivly went into a roll. It wasn't a perfect roll, but it sure helped me avoid some possibly harmful injury. I also did not crash down and so I didn't even get burished. It came semi- automatic (well, I was about 3 years in Aikido when it happened) and apperntly was useful.
On less dramatic effects I have the example of being able to walk in a crowded place without the need to bump ("collide") into people and see in advance the path people unconciously plan and so avoid getting into thight spots.
There are many more examples like that, but it's the matter- of - fact examples of the general things of "blending", "being more patient and understanding towards others" etc.
my two cents,
Anat
Old 11-08-2005, 11:06 PM   #14
Kevin Temple
Dojo: Jinbukan
Canada

I think a lot of the off-the-mat benefits of aikido really depend on the dojo environment itself and not the art. It is the people teaching with you and learning with you that make your dojo experience different than another dojo, regardless of the art. Maybe a karate dojo down the street changes its students life in the same way as your aikido dojo, whereas another aikido dojo does not.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:42 AM   #15
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Aikido offers nothing that can't be gotten elsewhere

Or in other words:
"It's not what Aikido is doing for you, it is what you are doing to yourself via Aikido training".
Another person could find he would get the same conceptual contributions to himself through other means, be it meditation, religion, another M.A., another sport or occupation or a combination of all above.
Further, we can not be sure of any contribution to our "conceptual world", only to the physical skills. After all, growing up also changes us as well as any experience we get in life. Aikido is just another way of getting a certain type of focused experiences.

Amir
Old 11-09-2005, 10:28 PM   #16
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

The thread below contains material that is very relevant here. I argue that aikido, while not being in any single way unique, has a long list of features that are more than the sum of their parts and make it highly beneficial.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8867

To use an analogy, is there nothing 'unique" in the woman you love - other women have kindness, intelligence, big breasts, whatever...but that's not really the point is it?
Old 11-10-2005, 03:53 AM   #17
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

I've watched this thread grow with interest as one after another poster seems to say there is nothing special about aikido.

If I were not already practicing aikido I think I'd read this and think "nothing special? don't think I'll bother then".

I do agree with many here that have already said that in martial terms there is nothing unique about the application of aikido techniques. They can all be found in other arts and it is no secret that O'Sensei utilised the techniques from his wide and varied experience.

For many mastery of these techniques is the goal, and for those that veiw their aikido this way then maybe yes - there is nothing special about aikido apart from being another flavour of jujitsu perhaps.

The question remains what is a benefit specifically of aikido? Or what characteristic is specific to aikido?

For me this is not in the techniques but in how they are applied.

We seek to blend. Not to destroy but to control uke through applying yin to yang, or yang to yin.

While the application is similar - this use of blending to create a form that is as harmonious as the Tao is unique.

The goal of controlling rather than destroying uke may also be unique.

I also think the complementary use of weapons forms is perhaps unique. Other forms use weapons but are they practiced to complement empty hand practice or are they an additional set of separate types of practice?

I don't know if tai chi or the chinese forms we see mentioned regularly on aikiweb also meet some of these criteria and if their aims lean towards control. If they do then maybe aikido is just in a small bunch rather than unique.

But I do think these aims (for those that accept them) differentiate aikido from being another jujitsu form.

I know already that many disagree. Maybe this diversity of interpretation is also unique to aikido...but knowing the mindset of many MA I very much doubt it.

Anyway - just my thoughts which I've tried hard to refrain from posting for several days now. In the end the lure of this thread was just too strong!

Cheers

D