Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-07-2001, 10:03 AM   #1
Max Factor
Dojo: Chatham Aikido unarmed combat club
Lightbulb My jeep was broken into.

This morning has had some very interesting being… I got up at 10:00 to find the coffee all out no biggie the are a few bags in the down stairs I will just fill it up, In that adventure I managed to send coffee all over the sink and counter top. My only thought was what a morning with a small smile. But nothing could have shocked me more then what happened next. It is now 10:45, the police are at my door and I am playing some music maybe a little loud for this time in the morning. That was not why he was here my jeep had been broken into and they pulled some stuff out of the glove compartment but over all nothing big it was the gym bag with my aikido gear in it. Taken was a white belt, brown belt and my manual this was mind stumping because there was my weapons, palm pilot, some RAM for a compute and some cds…. things that I would think would be more appealing to a thief. As I talked with the police he was surprised at my reaction, because in my town people like to blow up things. I felt this was a good lesion for me, the hole morning, I started to ask myself could I have handled the situation with my jeep as calmly as I did with out the coffee??? I would like to think so…. has any one else had an experience?????

Thanks Nate
All things learned are learned in small steps
Old 09-07-2001, 11:22 AM   #2
shihonage
United_States
Once, someone stole my gi and the old bag from the laundry.

I still haven't figured out what it could be possibly used for.

"Hey man, I got a uniform !"
"Is it hot ?"
Old 09-07-2001, 11:49 AM   #3
lt-rentaroo
Hello,

Hmmm, not that it matters now; but was it a Jeep Wrangler or a Jeep Cherokee? A friend of mine has a Jeep Wrangler and he had some stuff removed from it by an unauthorized person as well. I've always wanted a Jeep Wrangler, soft top with the roll bar and everything; but I was worried that some worthless punk would break into it and steal my stuff. So, I went with the four door Jeep Cherokee. Sorry to hear about you misfortune, perhaps whomever took your bag thought there was something more valuable (at least for a thief) inside.

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 09-10-2001, 07:18 AM   #4
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Whenever something gets stolen it makes me consider where 'things' actually come from. i.e. you work hard to produce money and buy your jeep etc. But this is only possible because people have worked hard to produce the design and construct the jeep at a price we can afford (and possibly being 'underpaid'). In fact, the economic system has only come about through peoples efforts and through a system of laws and understanding, enabling us to own anything. Much of this comes down to the fact that resources (eg. land) were originally owned through someone in the past either having killed someone and taking it, or through just getting there first and saying 'this is mine', or through stealing. Therefore no-one really has a 'right' to ownership outside our own legal system.

In the animal kingdom it seems much fairer because if an animal (in general) requires resources from another animal it exerts energy and risks potential retribution in stealing it from another animal. This also means that any animal which has more than it can look after itself will be a target for other animals. However the legal system for humans operates to maintain a large division between those with and without resources through inheritance (or wealth which has been produced by others, or just taken) and through the police which ensure that those with more resources than they need can keep them.

I'm not saying that I encourage crime, nor that I'm not bothered when people steal things from me - I'm usually happier to have the convenience of a technologically advanced society. However it illustates that none of us really 'own' anything.

Ian
Old 09-10-2001, 08:05 AM   #5
Steve Speicher
Dojo: Aikido of Central Ohio
I think the Native Americans would agree with me when I quote,

"Property is theft."

-----------------------------
Steve Speicher
May I ask what is meant by the strong, moving power (hao jan chih chi)? "It
is difficult to describe," Mencius replied. -- Mencius IIA2

403-256 BCE
Old 09-10-2001, 09:58 AM   #6
Steve
Dojo: Salina Aikido Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Speicher
I think the Native Americans would agree with me when I quote,

"Property is theft."
I doubt it. Native North Americans were always at war with each other for control of land or other resources. Plains indians had to follow the herds and if it was a hard year then they might have to fight with the neighbors to get close enough to hunt. Agrarian tribes had to stake claim to land that they could farm. If not owned by individuals, these acres were, at least, owned by the community. As with all cultures, property is only theft when someone is trying to take your property.

Steve Hoffman
+++++++++++
That's going to leave a mark.
Old 09-10-2001, 01:26 PM   #7
Steve Speicher
Dojo: Aikido of Central Ohio
I do not think you are fully understanding the quote.
No offense, just that the meaning extends deeper than the literal one. And it actually comes from a series of quotes about 'property', I'll have to search out the other two.

Later,

-----------------------------
Steve Speicher
May I ask what is meant by the strong, moving power (hao jan chih chi)? "It
is difficult to describe," Mencius replied. -- Mencius IIA2

403-256 BCE
Old 09-12-2001, 03:09 AM   #8
SimonW11
Dojo: Bristol University Dojo
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Speicher
I do not think you are fully understanding the quote.
No offense, just that the meaning extends deeper than the literal one. And it actually comes from a series of quotes about 'property', I'll have to search out the other two.

Later,
Proudhoun (I am sure I spelt that wrong)

"When you ask me "what is slavery?" and "I say murder!" You understand me. Why then do you not understand when you ask "what is property?" and I say "theft!"

those french guys like dramatics.

Simon