Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #51
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: I Was Wrong

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
I get nervous just reading that... Who in their right mind is trying *anything* on Tony...
Story was paraphrased from Toby. He also thought it was probably a bad idea.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 10-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #52
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States

Belated thanks to Krystal for the reply (post number 44) Great explanation!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #53
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

I am not addressing the OP or even the original topic, but a number of posts in this thread demonstrate the severe disconnect from the realities of fighting and physical conflict that training in the martial arts so often encourages.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 10-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #54
yugen
United_States

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
I am not addressing the OP or even the original topic, but a number of posts in this thread demonstrate the severe disconnect from the realities of fighting and physical conflict that training in the martial arts so often encourages.
such as? It seems you should state the content of the posts you disagree with (probably in a new thread since you say it doesn't have anything to do with the OP) otherwise it appears you're trolling.

Ryan
Seattle
Old 10-29-2012, 03:36 AM   #55
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

Quote:
LOL! Troll hating.

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #56
DH
United_States

Quote:
No they don't, and there is enough of a percentage of people training this who can kick ass ...for real...and have watched some pretty stressful sparring in open rooms that they....like me ....don't really care anymore about this amateurish baiting.
If you can fight...and I mean seriously take and deliver a beating ....then I respect that. So can dozens of guys who are training this who deserve the same respect in kind.
You......Michael ...simply have no idea what so ever of the group of people you are addressing.
This type of drive by shooting....post is beneath you.
Dan
Old 10-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #57
DH
United_States

I think the inspiring part is that people, are going to certain people to learn this here and there, and the people THEY are going to????? All felt the same way when they encountered it.
It places the real value then upon the work, instead of individuals. It also validates the the fact that it was this work, that kept producing unusual martial artists.That it was the tie that binds us all.
As Bill Gleason said to me once, and I have heard its echo round the world from others.
"This is what I went to Japan to find and never did!"
Dan
Old 10-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #58
ashe

Dojo: Tempe Arizona I Liq Chuan
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
"This is what I went to Japan to find and never did!"
that's doesn't surprise me that he would say that given the old "steal my art" mindset. it's not likely that prior to very recent history, more than 6-12 guys at any one time (globally) had a very deep skill level.

tiger at the gate
-----------------------
discipline, concentration & wisdom
Twitter-@luoyegongfu
Old 10-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #59
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Ashe Higgs wrote: View Post
that's doesn't surprise me that he would say that given the old "steal my art" mindset. it's not likely that prior to very recent history, more than 6-12 guys at any one time (globally) had a very deep skill level.
hey, i am number 13th! you know, you fajin one grandmaster in the nuts and they voted you down to number 13th. that's politics for ya!

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 10-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #60
Lee Salzman

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
hey, i am number 13th! you know, you fajin one grandmaster in the nuts and they voted you down to number 13th. that's politics for ya!
If you already know the secret nutcracker fajin, then why would you need to go to the grandmaster to learn it? And that would, by default, make you at least one of the 12 guys who know it, so you couldn't be voted down to 13th? It's a paradox, man...