Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
edgarhaliman
Dojo: Indonesia Aikido Federation
Indonesia
Is it wrong if my purpose in aikido is to be strong?

When O Sensei said that the main purpose of aikido practice is not to be strong,i'm just thinking about my purpose in aikido.. Is it wrong if I practiced to become strong? Of course not strong 'outside' but strong 'inside' of me.. It's still become question inside of my head.. Thanks for answer my question..
Old 10-23-2009, 06:52 AM   #2
dps

Re: Is it wrong if my purpose in aikido is to be strong?

Quote:
Edgar Haliman wrote: View Post
When O Sensei said that the main purpose of aikido practice is not to be strong,i'm just thinking about my purpose in aikido.. Is it wrong if I practiced to become strong? Of course not strong 'outside' but strong 'inside' of me.. It's still become question inside of my head.. Thanks for answer my question..
No it is not wrong. Consider it a point to start.
See if there are changes in your thinking as you progress.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Sounds like a good reason to me.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Kevin Karr
United_States

If you engage in regular (at least 3 times per week), vigorous training (weapons and empty hand) you will become strong(er) physically. That is a natural byproduct of physical exercise. This is a good thing. Many of the big names of Aikido started training as young men because they wanted to be strong physically. I know this is one reason I train. If you train hard, you will get strong. If you don't, you won't. So I say, go for it!

I believe this is a very important part of Aikido. The training makes you strong thereby helping to develop martial spirit which is an energy source that can be used in many ways in one's life. I wholeheartedly believe that it is this "martial spirit" (amongst other things) that makes the difference between Aikido that "works" and Aikido that does not.

It is my educated guess that when O'Sensei said the *main* goal of Aikido is not to be physically strong, I can understand that. The main goal of Aikido is about finding the truth and becoming an "avatar of the kami," so to speak. To do this, one must engage their mind *and* body so that they may become the whole embodiment of a real human being: relaxed, natural, confident, and in control; with no artificial pretense or affectation.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
thisisnotreal

In my opinion: not at all. Make your mind and body strong.
But beware though that it is possible for this to become a quest for power...and that can be something entirely different.

I think it is helpful too to recognize that as some have said about Aikido....50% of Aikido is body practice (/aiki) physical side of things and the other 50% was Ueshiba's spirituality. You should consciously decide who and what you want and are. Otherwise the decision will be made for you implicitly. Decide consciously for yourself. If there was no line drawn there would be no line to cross.
Josh
Old 10-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

Strong in what way?
In body, mind, and spirit?
Good way.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 10-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
Tinyboy344

United_States

If you think "your purpose in aikido is to be strong was wrong" then my purpose of my aikido training is to kill would be.... Hmm....
Old 10-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
Darryl Cowens
New Zealand

We all have different reasons. Besides, take kendo and/or iaido for instance. How many people start those because they have ideas of being a samurai warrior or 'ninja'?.... I bet their ideas change over time once they are doing them though.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
Edward
Thailand

Well, remember that you get strong in aikido by doing lots and lots of ukemi, not by trashing your cooperative uke.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Edgar Haliman wrote: View Post
I think your idea of being strong "inside" sounds pretty good. Why train in anything if not to become better/stronger at it? My guess is that O Sensei probably meant it's not just about being tough physically, but becoming a more potent person; realizing our fullest potential.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

There's a difference between training to be as strong as you can be and training to be stronger than everyone else..

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 10-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #12
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands

Let's put it differently. If you are doing aikido (or any martial art for that matter) and you don't get stronger inside and outside, you must be doing something wrong. Think of it as a useful progress indicator rather than a goal in in own right.
regards, Alec

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #13
Anjisan
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
United_States
Ki Symbol Re: Is it wrong if my purpose in aikido is to be strong?

Quote:
Inocencio Maramba wrote: View Post
There's a difference between training to be as strong as you can be and training to be stronger than everyone else..
Another way of saying it is the difference between between rational and being delusional. That said, I feel that the stronger you are in every way, the more options you will have whether that be physically, emotionally, mentally, or whatever. The natural transition that should occur--in my opinion--is the source of that strength.

Over time, a greater reliance of use of Aiki, properly timed and placed utemi, as well as internalized confidence will help compensate for the effect of father time which can sap many forms of strength.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
chillzATL
United_States

Nothing wrong with it at all. Everyone should strive to have the strong, effective Aikido.